Killing entire packs of wolves, naked, with just a knife.

Docterrok

Which difficulty are you playing on? I'd guess Voyager, but just to be sure :)

I've noticed the damage inflicted by wolves greatly depends on RNG, and while some are just minor brushes, other can get you down 50% of your condition. I can't speak for your experience, but in Voyager, 2 consecutive wolves struggles could get you in troubles if you are not lucky. Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "pack of volves" or if you are talking about consecutive wolves struggles.

It seems wildly random to me as well. Used to be, EVERY wolf attack was close to 50% health loss. Now, I've had attacks where I took only 6% damage!  

Weirdly, going naked actually makes sense. The main lasting effect of wolf attacks is clothing degradation. Sleep and food is renewable. There's a fixed amount of cloth in the world when you start, so every repair is one less day from ultimate survival (and I'm not talking about actual in-game lifespan, but a "role play" goal of getting enough stuff so that your character can map out a life for the next 30-50 years on whatever you could scrounge.)

Edit: forgot meds. Not sure how risky it is to not use antiseptic, but eventually that and old-mans-beard will run out. 

Wolves are extremely disappointing. Aside the fact that they seem to gotten stupid as a log, they are also extremely weak.

When i started my first game on Stalker i expected beasts, that would do a fair amount of damage, something to recon with. Instead devs just stuffed more of them into sandbox, as perfect example of quality vs quantity paradigm.

And on top of that wolves seem to get stupider by the patch. Aside of the fact that they seem to be slower now and player can actually outrun them if hes light enough(i shit you not, ive done it on several occasions), id say below 10 kg weight. They also got a lot dumber. If be4 running into one face-to-face meant practically inevitable attack, then now they take their time with growling and attacking, so if player has relatively good reaction and knows what hes doing, he can just run away. Thats my usual mo nowadays, since there is no point to waste time on stocking wolf meat due to illogical parasite feature.

Even tho they are extremely easy to kill, there is just no point in fighting wolves. Instead of making wolves a challenge, devs went in completely opposite direction, with infections and parasite. So now they are not just weak, they are also next to useless... like tinder after lvl3 of fire starting. Not a threat but more of an annoyance and their main purpose at this moment, at least for me, is for deer hunting(as sad as it may sound).

On July 11, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Ohbal said:

Which difficulty are you playing on? I'd guess Voyager, but just to be sure :)

I've noticed the damage inflicted by wolves greatly depends on RNG, and while some are just minor brushes, other can get you down 50% of your condition. I can't speak for your experience, but in Voyager, 2 consecutive wolves struggles could get you in troubles if you are not lucky. Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "pack of volves" or if you are talking about consecutive wolves struggles.

I'm playing voyager

Maybe increase their damage, but give top layers an armor rating that drops it back down around the current damage.

The scarf should also reduce damage due to predators usually aiming for the windpipe.

This will solve the problem with players stripping before fighting at least.

For wolves I'd like to see a single pack moving around the whole map, rather than the islands of wolves we see walking in circles at specific spawn points.  I'd like the main threat to be them stealing your kill when you're hunting.  I don't really like the idea of fighting wolves being a central challenge in the game, i'd rather they provided come colour and atmosphere and the main challenge being surviving the elements and getting enough resources.

9 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Maybe increase their damage, but give top layers an armor rating that drops it back down around the current damage.

The scarf should also reduce damage due to predators usually aiming for the windpipe.

This will solve the problem with players stripping before fighting at least.

Yeah it wasn't long before I started fighting wolves naked. It just makes sense when your clothes are so central to survival and having a wolf bite you on the arm trashes all your clothes for some reason. There ought to be some mechanic which makes fighting naked a bad idea, plus IMO there should be less clothing damage - or at least less universal clothing damage, I can see that if a wolf clamped down on your sweater it might get badly torn up, but my socks and everything else all at once? is the wolf fighting me or trying to eat my clothes?.

Wandering around naked should drop heat levels like hammer, its absurd that player can move around for substantial amount of time naked without any consequences.

And in terms of wolf fight, fighting naked should multiply damage by 10. With certain clothing items decreasing that bonus, like good coat, scarf, pants, handwear. While wolves do prefer to go for throat, they dont mind taking a bite into other body parts. Thats how packs take down large animals - they attack from all sides, trying to sink teeth in and then pull, so that they would rip pieces of flesh out, causing animal to go down from shock and blood loss. Death by a thousand paper cuts.

And having clothes, especially thick ones, can cause wolf teeth simply to get stuck in them - they would take damage, for sure, but it also means that player body wont take that much damage. Plus, such surprises would most likely disorient wolf, making it prone to panic. And the less damage to body, the less chance that some crap will be carried over from teeth or claws and cause infection.

Archived