Too tired

10 hours ago, TROY said:

In reality, unless you are some of kind of super athlete, or a Marine,  I'm sorry, but you aren't going to sprint OR climb a rope up a cliff face with a 30 KG pack on, so putting up with getting tired quicker than I think I should is a trade-off for being able to do things I know I couldn't do. 

I love your ideas, I think you've pretty much nailed the problems with the current mechanics.  This bit got me thinking though... why would someone try to climb a rope with a heavy pack? why not tie your pack to the bottom of the rope, climb up without it, then haul it up? 

2 hours ago, continuity said:

I love your ideas, I think you've pretty much nailed the problems with the current mechanics.  This bit got me thinking though... why would someone try to climb a rope with a heavy pack? why not tie your pack to the bottom of the rope, climb up without it, then haul it up? 

And thats why we want the option to drop our packs ;). Also that sounds kinda fun. Less work but trading off for more time? 

just hope the game doesn't turn into a climbing sim :)

I.E. If I was surviving, I would not be going climbing ropes unless I thought I was 100% fit / confident that I could actually do it.

also from current game play, I find you just need to be well rested, and maybe not carrying over 30kgs before attempting a climb and you should have pretty much no issues in getting to the top.

54 minutes ago, nicko said:

just hope the game doesn't turn into a climbing sim :)

I.E. If I was surviving, I would not be going climbing ropes unless I thought I was 100% fit / confident that I could actually do it.

also from current game play, I find you just need to be well rested, and maybe not carrying over 30kgs before attempting a climb and you should have pretty much no issues in getting to the top.

@nicko I dont believe hinterland plans on turning it into a climbing Sim, but it adds a really cool dimension to the game. Its something a lot of people do for fun, its a challenging way to access many areas, knowing you need to climb to reach an area forces the player to plan ahead and think. And as for WHY you'd do it, well, to find resources that you need to survive of course, or to search for other survivors, or to find a clue about whats going on, or in hopes of finding a way home... there are numerous reasons why your character would climb that rope other than just because its there. Finally, you are correct about game play. Even carrying 30-35 kg, you can climb twice if you start your first one well rested. I was speaking in terms of real life,  and this thread is discussing how quickly the characters currently become exhausted.

And if you could drop your pack you could just tie it to the bottom of the rope and haul your bag up once you've reached the top ^_^

No need to worry about all the gear since it's much easier to lift something when you have a mechanical advantage and don't need to also support your own weight!

I agree the system needs more tweaking. I find it frustrating when I wake up before daylight so I "pass time" for 2-3 hours and then have become so tired I need to take a nap.....

I also like the suggestion of removing or minimizing the link between stamina and fatigue. Obviously excessive running would tire you out, but sprinting for 30 seconds shouldn't require me to take a nap. Am I really that out of shape? Perhaps on day 1, but certainly after 3 months living off of old beef jerk and rabbit meat while spending my days hiking through the snow, I'd be fit enough to make it through a typical day without much difficulty. 

On 7/20/2016 at 6:29 PM, AHGoodwin said:

Obviously excessive running would tire you out, but sprinting for 30 seconds shouldn't require me to take a nap. Am I really that out of shape?

I only sprint when there are wolves or I need to backtrack for a second.

Distance and time in-game are a bit exaggerated so sprinting for 30 irl seconds is quite a long distance in-game. Not to mention the weight of the pack and the snow you're running through. 

I do agree however that when passing time,  there shouldnt be as much of a penalty.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived