Muscle Training

Axtos

Day 1.

I'm just leave the civilization. I wear my jeans and my snikers. I'm totally lost and a unworthy whimpering cub. Whitout my clothes i can hold 20kg.

Day 180

I'm the Arctic Robinson. I war my Deerhide Boots and legs. I slay bears and wolfes. Months of surviving in the cold and I'm the Alpha Predator here. I travel miles of miles with tons of wood and other stuff. I consume 4kg meat per day. Without my clothes i can hold... 20kg?

Would you honestly prefer to have the difficulty gap between early and mid-game widened further? Your suggestion would cause mid-game to become even easier than currently. Being allowed to haul 40kg (or whatever else number you had in mind) everywhere without any penalties would not only remove the need to make choices which tools and resources you want to carry around, it would also have an impact on fatigue gain rates, wolf aggression and decoy/flare disregard mechanics.

I agree with the both  @Axtos and @Scyzara  yes we should improve ourselves when we live in the "ice age" and fighting predators. But as Scyzara said there should be penalty. In my opinion, muscle training should come with increasing basal metabolic rate, So, if the player train his/her muscle, he/she should eat more food to live.

I know, the most of TLD players and devs always say TLD is not the realistic simulation, but mini details like that make game more interesting, exciting and attractive.

we can increase fire starting chance by starting fire, we can increase sewing chance by sewing, why can not we increase carrying capacity by carrying. 

In real, we have to force our muscles to improve them, maybe it can be adapted in TLD. Normally we carry 30kg, to improve that "survivor" carry above the 30kg to improve max carrying capacity. If he carry above 30 kg at least 6 hours in a day(example). Tomorrow he can carry 30.1 kg max. Also it can be limited max 40kg. and "survivor" can not improve his/her carrying capacity before the 20th day (i.e.) . according to that formula, "survivor" can carry 40kg no earlier than 120th day. while muscles are improving, basal metabolic rate increase too and survival needs more food. 

Sorry for gramer :)

1 hour ago, Scyzara said:

Would you honestly prefer to have the difficulty gap between early and mid-game widened further? Your suggestion would cause mid-game to become even easier than currently. Being allowed to haul 40kg (or whatever else number you had in mind) everywhere without any penalties would not only remove the need to make choices which tools and resources you want to carry around, it would also have an impact on fatigue gain rates, wolf aggression and decoy/flare disregard mechanics.

I need not exactly to carry more. But today i see no difference between the whelp who drop in this place and a 180 day, 300 day or 4 year veteran.

If you don't like this 10kg more, how is the possible to reduce (or slower) the downfall from my max load if the character are tired?

The character progress is there the endurance and not the muscles.

Maybe strength straining, which I wholeheartedly agree with by the way, should have less impact on carrying capacity because it's mostly about the backpack and distribution. I'm a skinny nerd with no muscle tissue to speak of, and I can easily haul 50kg over a pretty long trailer just by distributing the weight. But maybe... yeah, maybe we could give wolves an even better whack in their canine faces the stronger we get? Like, every point in a hypothetical 'strength' skill adds 0.2 kilos of carry weight, but one point of damage, which, when maxed out, might allow us to one-hit a wolf in a struggle. Becoming the REAL alpha-predator (except for the bear) :D

Have to side with @Scyzara on this: at 40kg carrying capacity the mid game becomes substantially easier. You could loot everything, what to bring becomes irrelevant (bring everything!), stamina would be a non issue and as a whole the player would consistently be in better condition giving a bonus to wolf attacks and sprinting. The game as it is now is a balancing act between gear and stamina (which is influenced by how much you carry). I don't think the game would be improved by removing that balance.

@Wastelander Do you mean 50 kg (110 lbs) or 50 lbs (22 kg)? I know I definitely cannot run up the sides of mountains with 110 lbs of gear on my back. 50 lbs is no problem but 110 lbs over long duration is just painful.

Doable on good hiking trails. Wouldn't want to attempt carrying that much gear in the snow and hilly terrain of the Long Dark ^_^

Most I've ever carried in my pack was 50 lbs and that was tough going. We were doing an overnight hike through some wooded hills. Doable, but the constant up and down and lack of good trails made for a tiring day.

It's all a matter of training though - Special Forces regularly carry a whole lot of things at a far greater weight. Although, I have to admit, the primary appeal of the game to me is that you're not the SpecOps Megasoldier for once. Still, I guess it can be trained. Might only make sense when seasons are added, allowing potentially indefinite survival.

39 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Have to side with @Scyzara on this: at 40kg carrying capacity the mid game becomes substantially easier. You could loot everything, what to bring becomes irrelevant (bring everything!), stamina would be a non issue and as a whole the player would consistently be in better condition giving a bonus to wolf attacks and sprinting. The game as it is now is a balancing act between gear and stamina (which is influenced by how much you carry). I don't think the game would be improved by removing that balance.

I agree.  It makes planning and thinking much less necessary.  Brawn solves most problems with this approach.

Muscle mass takes a long time to build up, even with heavy use. Even after 6 months of training, your maximum weight ceiling wouldn't have risen significantly. An increased energy demand is a decent means of curtailing the advantages of strength - you have to carry more food around, therefore the effectiveness of your new found strength is not as great.
I would say that perhaps this also should elevate the calorie ceiling. You often hear it said that humans require a certain calorie intake per day, 2000 kcal for the average man, 1800 kcal for the average woman. Whilst these are ballpark figures and not taking into account various different aspects of each individuals requirements, they are estimates for temperate to tropical climates. Arctic/Antarctic environments are much more demanding, energy-wise, than your typical walk in the park.
Where I live, in the British Isles, the average annual temperature hovers around 14-16°C. Now in this climate, 2000 calories is sufficient for me to maintain body mass and do all the things I do during the day. In places like Greenland, Siberia, Alaska, etc, your daily intake should be around 3000-4500, dependent on seasonal variations.
Because the vast majority of humans live in temperate to tropical regions, we forget how much of our energy is expended as heat because we don't need to expend that much.
In a TLD environment, 3000 calories daily would not be surprising.
Going back to the strength issue, I think it should be a feature, since the game progression seems to get more difficult, with longer stretches between rest stops and supplies as time goes on. An increase in carrying capacity would be invaluable in pleasant valley, for example.

In addition to this, I would suggest that your stamina increases as time goes on, allowing for longer sprinting times and shorter recovery. This would also be in keeping with calorie requirements (the more sprinting you do, the more food you will need to eat).

Anyway, that's my $0.02

On May 31, 2016 at 5:39 PM, acemok said:

I agree with the both  @Axtos and @Scyzara  yes we should improve ourselves when we live in the "ice age" and fighting predators. But as Scyzara said there should be penalty. In my opinion, muscle training should come with increasing basal metabolic rate, So, if the player train his/her muscle, he/she should eat more food to live.

I know, the most of TLD players and devs always say TLD is not the realistic simulation, but mini details like that make game more interesting, exciting and attractive.

we can increase fire starting chance by starting fire, we can increase sewing chance by sewing, why can not we increase carrying capacity by carrying. 

In real, we have to force our muscles to improve them, maybe it can be adapted in TLD. Normally we carry 30kg, to improve that "survivor" carry above the 30kg to improve max carrying capacity. If he carry above 30 kg at least 6 hours in a day(example). Tomorrow he can carry 30.1 kg max. Also it can be limited max 40kg. and "survivor" can not improve his/her carrying capacity before the 20th day (i.e.) . according to that formula, "survivor" can carry 40kg no earlier than 120th day. while muscles are improving, basal metabolic rate increase too and survival needs more food. 

Sorry for gramer :)

Love this idea about muscle training but also increased protein requirement. Makes a lot of sense! 

I'd love if this was added. But of course to balance, starting carry weight should be about 20 kg.  It was increased to 30 kg fairly quickly with proper training and nutrition.  And of course, more weight capacity later on. 

But amount of daily rest (sleep) should also have a role in gaines--or lack of.  Should be realistically balanced.

Archived