Eat at the Fire! No more menu switching

cekivi

Hello All,

This frequently comes up in the forums but I don't recall if anyone's started a specific post on it. So I will ^_^

Right now when cooking, once you've finished you must exit the fire menu and then open your inventory before you can finally eat and drink! The game would be so much smoother and more streamlined if eating was part of the campfire interface. I can already open cans, heat up, cook and warm food in front of my campfire. Why not eat it to? The same goes for tea, coffee, and water. Everything's right there. Why bother with the extra steps of needing to open your inventory? :silly:

TL;DR: On the fire menu a "cook & eat" button should be added beside the "cook" button for cookable foods and the option to drink should be available for tea, coffee and water.

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

Eating takes time, id prefer food to be on a quickwheel and eating while next piece of meat is being cooked. Unless we can do both at the same, then yes, im all for eating while in cooking interface.

Hopefully this will be part of the improved cooking roadmap point

On 4/29/2016 at 5:07 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Eating takes time, id prefer food to be on a quickwheel and eating while next piece of meat is being cooked. Unless we can do both at the same, then yes, im all for eating while in cooking interface.

Put putting cooked food into face interface into cooking food interface?

On 28.4.2016 at 1:09 AM, cekivi said:

Hello All,

This frequently comes up in the forums but I don't recall if anyone's started a specific post on it. So I will ^_^

Right now when cooking, once you've finished you must out of the fire menu and then open your inventory before you can finally eat and drink! The game would be so much smoother and more streamlined if eating was part of the campfire interface. I can already open cans, heat up, cook and warm food in front of my campfire. Why not eat it to? The same goes for tea, coffee, and water. Everything's right there. Why bother with the extra steps of needing to open your inventory? :silly:

Well Imagine if you have full bag of food canned and meat and in that case you only want to cook your meat not eat anything. You have to scroll like crazy to get to the meat. Another problem would be mis clicking most of the times you would eat something by mistake, and we all know how annoying that was when brandishing with torches.  Also you can't see the statistics of what you eat maybe you started 1 tomato soup and you want to finish it later by the fire and you have 3 of them in the inventory.

What would be better and much faster is, lets hotkey specific inventory sections for example Food items number 6, tools number 5 and so on. Then you can access food easily by 1 button, which would be configurable off course it doesn't have to be 6. Another option would be to switch between the item types by pressing one button for forward and another for back. 

Unless I don't know something, each time I heat up food/drinks you can heat, I have to close out of the fire UI, open up my inventory UI, find the food and click the eat button. That's a lot of UI surfuce area to cover for something that could just be a simple button at heat time in the Fire UI.

On 2.5.2016 at 5:15 PM, Pillock said:

We already get the icon appearing on the fire/cooking interface when something is finished cooking or heating or melting or boiling. All we need is for a "Eat/Drink" button next to it to be added.

That would be preferable but usually when I  am exploring I take all the food with me the cooked and the raw, and if there is no container like in a cave or some other shelter how do I cook my food if I have for example 10 tomato soups 20 granola bars and 20 other type and only 4 kgs of raw meat which I found in ravaged deer. It would be inconvenience to scroll down all that other stuff, however if eating by the fire is in another section separate than cooking that it will be ok I guess. 

1 hour ago, RighteousFury said:

Maybe there could be a bonus for eating at the fire, rather than a granola bar on the road, similar to the "Warming Up" affliction.

Well, being at the fire will normally warm you up regardless.

1 hour ago, vancopower said:

That would be preferable but usually when I  am exploring I take all the food with me the cooked and the raw, and if there is no container like in a cave or some other shelter how do I cook my food if I have for example 10 tomato soups 20 granola bars and 20 other type and only 4 kgs of raw meat which I found in ravaged deer. It would be inconvenience to scroll down all that other stuff, however if eating by the fire is in another section separate than cooking that it will be ok I guess. 

And I'm not proposing to have your entire food list available. Just one additional button: "Cook & Eat" beside the "Cook" button. Besides, what are you doing with 20 cans of Tomato Soup?!? :silly:

• 2 months later...

Archived