Wonderful outdoor living spots?

Ruruwawa

First, a disclaimer:  I'm not asking because of cabin fever -- I just love living outdoors.  It's brighter, easier to check the weather and watch the stars, and the new decay rate for meat makes storage a moot point.  

My play through in the Ravine just ended with a misstep on the train trestle (whoops).  But what a wonderful zone the Ravine is now!  I had all three caves tricked out and wandered between them for a change of scenery.  So much game, lumber and sunshine. :big_smile:

So now I'm looking for a new spot.  What places do you enjoy most when living outdoors?

There's a couple of rope-climb areas on Mystery Lake that I think are new; they have caves at the top and the wolves don't seem to go up there. Only problem is, if you've spent the day down on the lake and you're too tired or injured come bedtime, you won't be able to get back up the rope!

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

There's a couple of rope-climb areas on Mystery Lake that I think are new; they have caves at the top and the wolves don't seem to go up there. Only problem is, if you've spent the day down on the lake and you're too tired or injured come bedtime, you won't be able to get back up the rope!

I found this the other day. Oh my gosh, is the view up there gorgeous!

If I wasn't already cold and hungry, I would have stayed the night there. The cave is lovely and the location is super nice. 

It occurred to me that if the game supported mods, I'd be building a small player home right there!

30 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

I found this the other day. Oh my gosh, is the view up there gorgeous!

If I wasn't already cold and hungry, I would have stayed the night there. The cave is lovely and the location is super nice. 

It occurred to me that if the game supported mods, I'd be building a small player home right there!

One problem with the spot next to W end of the lake: no sticks or deadfall lumber!  I looked into it yesterday, and that was the deal breaker.  I need to check out the other one still. 

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

One problem with the spot next to W end of the lake: no sticks or deadfall lumber!  I looked into it yesterday, and that was the deal breaker.  I need to check out the other one still. 

No, you are very right. I was going insane looking for sticks up there - blizzard was setting in and I needed a fire. Hopefully it's just because it's a new area and configured completely yet. Plenty of rabbits though: you could probably live up there and never come down if there was wood as well.

13 hours ago, Pillock said:

There's a couple of rope-climb areas on Mystery Lake that I think are new; they have caves at the top and the wolves don't seem to go up there.

Sounds like I definitely need to revisit ML soon! :normal:

@topic: I love living in the mountaineer's hut in TWM. There's plenty of food and wood nearby, the landscape is beautiful, fishing and snaring rabbits is possible and most important of all: The hut has a decent lighting and isn't pitch-black all the time. I love keeping a fire going all night long there. Not because it's really necessary any more (I already got all fur clothes), but for reasons of immersion.

8 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Sounds like I definitely need to revisit ML soon! :normal:

@topic: I love living in the mountaineer's hut in TWM. There's plenty of food and wood nearby, the landscape is beautiful, fishing and snaring rabbits is possible and most important of all: The hut has a decent lighting and isn't pitch-black all the time. I love keeping a fire going all night long there. Not because it's really necessary any more (I already got all fur clothes), but for reasons of immersion.

I love the mountaineer's hut too, and I have a long run TWM game saved in one of my slots.  Completely geared though, with mountains of hides, fuel and bear meat.

So I've been starting fresh since the update to get a feel for the new systems and balance, on Voyageur because I'm still a lousy hunter.  (Getting better!  1-shot a deer with a bow for the first time today!)  For added non-hunting challenge I've been living in caves.  I like it!  I gotta say that, between no-torch-hunting and the extra kcals to gather wood to keep from freezing to death, it's been a little bit of a struggle to both feed myself and make clothes.  I need to kill a spare deer or two and haul the meat to the workbench to craft.  Fun challenge!

7 hours ago, Lrrr Ruler of OP8 said:

The rope at the eastern end of the lake leads to a cave that is also accessible by walking from the Camp Office and moving along the wall going towards Tunnel Collapse, So you can either hoof it or take the rope, which gives better emergency access :D

Off topic, but I feel humbled that the Great Lrrr, Ruler of Omicron Persei 8 himself, is displaying interest in an Earthling game and even participates in a games forum on Earth. This highlights the very special and peaceful relations between Earth and Omicron Persei 8, a fine example of how terrible monsters and extraterrestrial beings can coexist.

3 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Off topic, but I feel humbled that the Great Lrrr, Ruler of Omicron Persei 8 himself, is displaying interest in an Earthling game and even participates in a games forum on Earth. This highlights the very special and peaceful relations between Earth and Omicron Persei 8, a fine example of how terrible monsters and extraterrestrial beings can coexist.

I AM ONLY HERE TO HARVEST THE LOWER HORN OF THE ONE YOU CALL FLUFFY

On 4/26/2016 at 6:56 AM, Lrrr Ruler of OP8 said:

The rope at the eastern end of the lake leads to a cave that is also accessible by walking from the Camp Office and moving along the wall going towards Tunnel Collapse, So you can either hoof it or take the rope, which gives better emergency access :D

How do you tell which is the east end? I use a couple of different maps and they are oriented differently, so I'm not sure how to tell which area is the east end. Is that near the Lonely Lake Cabin and the other cabins?

For outdoor true roughing it living, I really like a cave on one of the upper tiers of Timberwolf next to a waterfall.  It has deer and rabbits.  Wish there was fishing up there, too.  But it's really great when I want to feel like I'm off the grid camping.

1 hour ago, Vhalkyrie said:

For outdoor true roughing it living, I really like a cave on one of the upper tiers of Timberwolf next to a waterfall.  It has deer and rabbits.  Wish there was fishing up there, too.  But it's really great when I want to feel like I'm off the grid camping.

Oooh, thanks for the reminder.  I tried that spot a while back, but the lack of storage was a problem at the time.  It's quite lovely actually.

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

Oooh, thanks for the reminder.  I tried that spot a while back, but the lack of storage was a problem at the time.  It's quite lovely actually.

The Eric's fall cave is only lovely until a bear spawns nearby (there's a spawn point between Eric's fall and deer clearing). Happened to me  a few days ago - I didn't notice the (re)spawn and was mauled inside Eric's cave right in the middle of the night by my new neighbor. Was quite an adventure to make it to the next loading screen cave and heal back.:big_smile:

Returned the other day to teach that ill-mannered thing a lesson: Unless it's willing to coexist peacefully, it won't coexist at all.

Just wanted to mention the attack as a warning for everyone to check that particular bear spawn before moving into Eric's cave.^^

7 hours ago, Scyzara said:

The Eric's fall cave is only lovely until a bear spawns nearby (there's a spawn point between Eric's fall and deer clearing). Happened to me  a few days ago - I didn't notice the (re)spawn and was mauled inside Eric's cave right in the middle of the night by my new neighbor. Was quite an adventure to make it to the next loading screen cave and heal back.:big_smile:

Returned the other day to teach that ill-mannered thing a lesson: Unless it's willing to coexist peacefully, it won't coexist at all.

Just wanted to mention the attack as a warning for everyone to check that particular bear spawn before moving into Eric's cave.^^

Yikes, I didn't realize the bear would come right into the cave!

20 hours ago, Morgan le Fay said:

How do you tell which is the east end? I use a couple of different maps and they are oriented differently, so I'm not sure how to tell which area is the east end. Is that near the Lonely Lake Cabin and the other cabins?

When you reach the East end, a title will come up saying "Mystery Lake, Eastern Access" :P the Eastern side is the one with all the cabins :)

On 4/25/2016 at 2:57 PM, Ruruwawa said:

First, a disclaimer:  I'm not asking because of cabin fever -- I just love living outdoors.  It's brighter, easier to check the weather and watch the stars, and the new decay rate for meat makes storage a moot point.  

My play through in the Ravine just ended with a misstep on the train trestle (whoops).  But what a wonderful zone the Ravine is now!  I had all three caves tricked out and wandered between them for a change of scenery.  So much game, lumber and sunshine. :big_smile:

So now I'm looking for a new spot.  What places do you enjoy most when living outdoors?

Waterfall cave on timber mountain is my favorite.

22 hours ago, Morgan le Fay said:

the end with the lone cabin is eastish.  Best way to tell - go out on a clear day close to dawn.  the sun rises quite nicely over a set of mountains at one end of the lake - hereby declared east for simplicity's sake.  likewise it sets quite nicely over another mountain.

I find the mountains on most of the maps make for good landmarks.  You just have to be careful because a couple of them are tricksy in their similarity.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a new wonderful outdoor living spot: the cave at Upper Falls in Pleasant Valley  (NE corner of the map).  I usually don't bother with PV because of the weather but for this spot I can follow the zone wall or the river, so blizzards haven't been too much bother.  On my game the nearby bear cave is vacant -- that's a lucky chance that makes this spot workable.

What I like about this spot: 

• Rabbits right outside the door, and a couple more spawns nearby
  • Deer nearby.  Wolves too, of course, but they don't come close to my cave and I can easily bypass them using the river.
  • So. many. sticks!  I stocked both caves and the fishing hut with some fir logs for emergencies but otherwise sticks and coal is more than enough
  • Nearby coal & workbench.  Several workbenches, actually (mine, barn, farmhouse, signal tower).   I just use whichever one is closest for my other errands.
  • Fishing fairly nearby.
  • "Coleman" + plastic container storage in the cave (on my game at least)

It's easy living :) Of course, it's PV so fur clothing is a must.

Archived