Challenge mode - Share your stories, opinions & times!

Scyzara

thats amazing! You know what? I played exactly like you!! Every step was exactly as i played - so i dont know why there is such a time diffrence. The only thing that was diffrent: I was not so lucky with the weather, in ML i had to walk against wind that was slowing me down and i never sprinted - oh and maybe i took a little bit more time looting in farmstead.

I will not try to beat this time in the near future, well done :P  Now i try to beat scyzara's time for the other challenge :)

some troll has already jacked my time at 7h flat, and is talking a reaaaal big game like he's better than me and came up with all the stuff on his own, and was doing stuff i was doing before i was doing it, etc etc.  COINCIDENTLY he posted sub 10hr time just after my 10 hour run, and his 7hr flat time just after my 7h13m time.   

i already know how i'm making my next big time cut, and this time the vod will not be publicly available.  look for more to come

i dont see how to do it way faster than you without cheating/exploiting. You made a video of it showing the limits. I mean, there is no shorter path, and when you never sleep, basicly just walk all the time than thats the limit.

hats why we have this thread here, not only to talk about it, but also to validate if it is possible or not. So dont be angry about it, your run still proofs the best time.

good lord! some of these times are just ridiculous! i've got a loooooot of work to do before i can match up to em :P

apologies for no screenshot, im playing on xb1 and dont have a phone to transfer my screenies over to. but first (and best) time for hunted is 4 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes. i didnt think that was too shabby, before reading some of these xD

definitely loving the hunted mode, though! i've currently got a char. on hopeless rescue, will post my time when i complete it :)

15 hours ago, ungoliant said:

Well I was a little distressed at being beaten out in less than 24 hours, so i went back to the drawing board, and came up with some new ideas, and cut back on some stuff that was unnecessary.  The result is gonna blow your mind, and this one was recorded and is public as well.  probably going to be tough to beat this one without some practice.

98378B04757657C529CC967308654F4B611785DE

stream highlight

Not gonna try! Good Job! ^_^

9 hours ago, MueckE said:

I will not try to beat this time in the near future, well done :P  Now i try to beat scyzara's time for the other challenge :)

You'll be successful for sure sooner or later! :normal:

I've slept 23h during my hopeless rescue run, so it's (at least) possible to do it 23h faster. xD

oh my gosh.

it took me 12 days!! And I thought I was rushing and moving quickly!

I went through coastal highway though.

Getting from the dam to the trapper's cabin took a long time though, due to avoiding that stupid bear with its evil agenda.  He always found me. I had to go down the side of Mystery lake literally from cabin to cabin, dash to the camp office, then to trappers homestead- and oddly the bear stayed on the lake.

wanted to keep this thread in the loop.  new time.

4203D4D4FA4801ECEB39F611811D14EFCFB83FFA

discovered there might be some potential for a sub-6hr time.  might be giving it a try soon, altho i already said on steam forums i was done with this challenge for the time being.  the prospects are so good i might just have to go for it.  very strong evidence that a big leap could be made. possibly somewhere between 5.15 to 5.30

such a shame! I just had a pretty good run in the lighthouse challenge.

I was in coastal already on the ice up to desolation point and still had 5 days and 14 hours left to get there but was attacked by 3 wolves on the ice .... i fired the rifle to scare them away but the AI made them run back to me, so i was sorrunded by 3 wolves :) If i wasnt killed, i bet i would've made it within about 1day and 16hours.

Strategy SPOILER:::::::::::::::::

I was lucky and found the rifle,1 stim and coffe in trapper's. I cooked the coffee and went straight to camp office where i found another stim (just looked for the first aid kit). After that, hydro dam (no stim found) winding river, farmstead (took water - painkillers -no stim), draft dodger's cabin and climbed up to skeeter's, than to the rope to TM. There i had to rest because i wanted to save the stims for the final push up to the summit.

In TM, i went to the cabin and warmed up again (hacksaw), walked the way to the open cave (to avoid one rope). The final two ropes i used the stims. At the plane i looted the flaregun, the coffee container, water, warmed/healed up and slept for 4 hours (with draft dodger's 8h total). I found two more stims and wanted to save them for the final push. I "spidermaned down", warmed up at the cabin, left TM and warmed up inside abandoned mine again right before leaving to coastal. 5 minutes later i was dead :)

I'm trying to play The Hunted at the moment. The problem for me is that I have hardly ever used the transition zones in any of my sandbox games - up to this point I've tended to stay for long periods on the same map, before giving up and starting again (or else being killed). Consequently, I don't have a bloody clue where I'm going, and I can't remember how to get out of Pleasant Valley.

The bear is extremely persistent, and is usually on me very quickly after I leave the sanctuary of a building. I've long-since run out of ammo for the flare gun (though I did find a few more rounds in some locations), and I've had to venture out into the wilderness in order to find where the exit point of the map is. So, I've been forced to figure out how to not get mauled, even if I can't find shelter immediately nearby.

I'm starting to find I can walk around in the open for long periods, as long as I'm well equipped. Teddy comes bounding over to me every now and then like a friendly puppy and I have to tell him not to jump up, but I think he's learning. I even begin to miss him if I don't see him for a while!

I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to survive in the Hunted challenge mode longer term - maybe as a sandbox with an added dimension? At this point, I'm more interested in this idea than I am in trying to make it to Trapper's Homestead!

Just had my first go at Hopeless Rescue after practically not playing TLD for several months. In spite of a terrible finishing time of 6d3h37m, I really enjoyed the challenge, as one was forced to think very differently from the usual sandbox game. I would not have made it without a sneak peek at a map of Timberwolf Mountain.

I just did the Hunted Challenge in 15 hours 11 minutes and was pretty happy with the time. Credit to @ungoliant  for showing how it can be done so much faster. After playing Sandbox for so long I really had no idea of the power of coffee. Early on in my playing I was using it a bit for the few calories it provides when I was desperate but never really got the benefits it could provide to tiredness and warmth (when drunk hot). 

Clearly I could cut out quite a few hours of sleeping and make my time several hours shorter (plus not getting a bit lost trying to find the Carter Hydro Cave in Pleasant Valley. 

Out of interest, how frequently do people generally find coffee between the starting point and Pleasant Valley Homestead? It took me about five runs before I finally got some at the homestead and then kept going. 

I certainly learnt a lot from watching @ungoliant 's video. Whilst I frequently use the shortcuts for weapons and dropping food decoys when playing Sandbox, he showed how much smoother it can be with lighting matches etc. when you don't have to ration everything. Taking brands from each fire when you're heading out to improve your warmth is clever and something I'd never really thought of. 

Anyone who posts that they did it in hours, is full of it. One came back and said he 'ran' the entire way after someone called them out on it. Right after the bear attack, if you don't get yourself back to decent shape, which takes several hours alone, you'll freeze and die before you get anywhere. Been tested and tried many times by myself. All you have to do is take the screen shot of the challenge screen, and alter it. Someone is going to come up with a screen of 45 minutes or something dumb like that. I am not trying to create an argument, but having done the hunted challenge several times, hours is not a possibility. You need to eat, recharge, regain your health and keep warm. NOT possible. 

Just got through the Lighthouse challenge for the first time (on my second try). The time wasn't very good, but it was a fun run.

ETA: I got super lucky on this run and found the prepper's food cache that lies between the trapper's hut and the unnamed pond, and there was at least 1 can of coffee in there (there might even have been 2). Then I got another can of coffee at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead, and the found more on Timberwolf Mountain. That saved me from having to rest a lot (although I did a few times when my health was too low--I got attacked by wolves a few times and fell down a mountain once and then froze and was down to like 20%, so had to heal from that).

5722ae379e3ba_lighthousechallenge1.thumb

Glad the videos have been helping people. 

Regrettably i did not make a video for this first run of Hopeless Rescue

5D8926D27B068DC0F10577F87069CE08A3806BE5

i got some nice clothing before camp office, but the weather was foul, wind set against me 3 times on long stretches.  Some definite room for improvement with looting and inventory management, its quite different than Hunted just by virtue of needing to climb TWM.

This was a sortof proof-of-concept run just to prove to myself that my ideas could work.  Now that i know that it can, i'll be working on refining this down.  I'll be making another video at some point when i'm feeling confident.

5 hours ago, wolf359 said:

Anyone who posts that they did it in hours, is full of it. One came back and said he 'ran' the entire way after someone called them out on it. Right after the bear attack, if you don't get yourself back to decent shape, which takes several hours alone, you'll freeze and die before you get anywhere. Been tested and tried many times by myself. All you have to do is take the screen shot of the challenge screen, and alter it. Someone is going to come up with a screen of 45 minutes or something dumb like that. I am not trying to create an argument, but having done the hunted challenge several times, hours is not a possibility. You need to eat, recharge, regain your health and keep warm. NOT possible. 

Thats actually really funny, how can you say that if 2 posts above is a link to a video where you can see how its done in hours and that other people are quoting this strategy?

Loot the basement after attack (5 minutes), use the stim and run to farmstead. At farmstead cook the coffe. You will have 20% condition, warm, eaten, drunk, low stamina but coffee bonus - so whats your problem? And yes, you can run with the coffee bonus without getting tired.

@ungoliant

Nice time. I bet you will make it under 24h ;)

finally finished the old bear run, and holy jeez that was nuts. I took the long way around, through the mine to the highway. I survived 4 bear attacks (including the initial one), and barely escaped into the mine with him on my heels lol. Finished with 6 percent health, as the last of 3 bear attacks on Mystery Lake was so close to Trapper's that I could see it. I'm guessing I was misusing the flare gun, it seemed to scare him off for about 5 seconds, then he would stop, thinking "why am I running away?" and turn around and resume chasing me. I ditched him a few times in Pleasant Valley, but for the entire map of Mystery Lake he was behind me. He even waited outside the doors when I tried to regain some health. Crazy. Fantastic though guys, love these challenges, can't wait to try the next one!

screen_(-4, -148, 4)_a31a3769-07eb-418f-9a80-0aeb0a2ca066.png

• 2 weeks later...

My first try at this challenge, made many mistakes and a blizzard that was haunting me from the summit until the mine in pleasante valley made me waste another day thanks to hypothermia. Also wasted too much time in ML, next time I won't even bother with the bunker and just go for the summit. Rifle was very handy though to scare off any wolves ;) But I am quite positive that it is doable under one day with similar tactics as in the original forum challenge.

E42609BEB0566ADF973D8AAEA9B6190831B6A5E4

I also had a blast when I first tried the Hunted Challenge, not knowing what to expect I've had the most thrillsome moments possibly since I play TLD. So many times down to 2-4% where I just wanted to die but somehow managed to pull through, only to get taken down by the bear again. Back then I didn't realize how cheaty this bear is, running across half the map and teleporting. I also went the wrong way via Coastal Highway and that's where the bear finally got me. Unfortunately I then discovered this thread and it spoiled the Hunted Challenge kinda, now I want to speed run it too and don't feel much excitement anymore. Though I doubt I will ever beat the times listed here. But still, I think those challenges are the right direction to keep sandbox play fun for a long time, hope there will be more soon.

Archived