A COMPASS

Smileyattack

9 minutes ago, Drazon said:

But please, fellow players, do place your "X points north" -bugreports behind spoiler tags (if there are such) or make them like unreadable size which would force the interested reader (after he has spotted spoiler-alert) to copy-paste it to read it.

Ahh yes, sorry I've been guilty of this since the forum rework there are no longer buttons to do this but reminded that apparently can do it manually using [] [/] tags with word spoiler

No compass!  Hopefully they will use the geomagnetic disaster to render compasses ineffective.  I like the challenge of navigating without maps and compasses.  Pay attention to landmarks. Drop burnt out torches and flares to mark key spots.  There are a gazillion other games out there if you have to play on easy mode and can't live without a compass.

Geomagnetic Disaster. IRL they can do electrical damage and such. But in TLD, this event is world ending. It's basically a real geo storm but kicked up a notch. Or ten.

So basically it can shut off electrical devices and bring them back on. Like we saw in the story mode trailer. It can also affect magnetic devices such as compasses to not work properly (like IRL)

EM event can destroy electric devices, but there is no way in hell they can be brought back afterwards, with or without storm, since they would be burned out. Em pulse creates a, well, pulse, that overloads electric circuits with amount of charge that is far greater than those circuits can withstand. Its like instantly flooding a pipe with 100 times volume of water that it can hold - it will simply burst, violently.

Compass is a fairly simply tool that works off magnetic fields, global ones. For it to stop working, those fields must be severely disrupted. Altho until we see auroras in game, it cant be even remotely predicted the severity of event. If northern lights will be potent enough to provide luminescence comparable to daylight, then compass would probably be unusable, since disruptions will be 2 great. Otherwise compass would be just fine, maybe not dead center, but it wont really matter. A few degrees left of right wont make that much of a difference, we are not sailing to the other side of the Atlantic.

Compasses in this game would be massively game breaking.. And would not only poke holes in the games story it would poke holes with a sledgehammer.

Maps have been requested quite a bit too.. But if the maps are implemented poorly like 90% of games out there it would again cripple the whole experience of TLD. Most maps in game when you look at them ALWAYS have that little arrow indicator where your standing.. So every time you look at the map you could tell where you are standing/heading and then the Whole Lost in the Canadian wilderness would go completely out the window aswell..

in my first days of playing the game I got horribly lost aswell. But then I started to pay attention to my surroundings as I walked.. The downed trees... Rock formations.. And even sounds started to paint a map inside my head. Theres more then enough in your surroundings to get your bearings even in a blizzard.

but if your having difficulties still bring sticks with you.. They weigh next to nothing and are found everywhere.. Drop them as you go and follow the wooden stick road!

but that also touches on/brings up another really requested item " field markers "

just sticks and cloth that you can combine and place like flags for better visual cues. And with the sounds they've added all those months ago you'd be able to hear the cloth "snap" in the wind for audio cues..

With the abundance of those lovely red wool scarves I've come across in Pilgrim Mode, it would be nice to combine them with reclaimed wood or sticks and use them to mark "safe" caves, forks in the trails, and specific cottages (I'm looking at you, CH Coastal Cottages!).

I agree, as you explore, you start to develop a 'feel' for the land. Actually, it reminds me of when I first started Special Ed school as a 3 year old child. I didn't know how to read, didn't know how to speak or how to lip-read others, and definitely didn't understand the concept of a compass. But riding the bus at 6:30 am in December from a town in one county to another town halfway in another county, I learned the way to go, the places the bus stopped to pick up kids, the shape of the land and so on. My mother didn't learn to drive until I started school, so she was never confident. And she never developed the navigational sense that I did, traveling into the morning sun. So the few occasions she would come to pick me up because I was sick, she would come close to panic because I kept insisting that the most direct route she was taking was the "wrong" way . . .

Playing this game without maps or a compass is bringing those memories back to me . . .

How exactly compass would be gamebreaking, and not just that, but with a sledgehammer ? And since there is no story to talk about... wtf is with that comment ?

Same goes for maps. No1 ever wanted those casual minimaps with pointers and other crap. Not once. In all cases its either basic topographic map or something hand-drawn, when it comes to the ideas.

And seriously, bringing sticks as argument of "the right way". One of the biggest exploits in the game, considering that they always point in the same direction and are even better than compass on that part.

And you wont hear cloth "snap", because those pieces would 2 small do do anything like that and to make bigger ones... you wont have enough cloth on average map to make anything useful.

23 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

How exactly compass would be gamebreaking, and not just that, but with a sledgehammer ? And since there is no story to talk about... wtf is with that comment ?

Same goes for maps. No1 ever wanted those casual minimaps with pointers and other crap. Not once. In all cases its either basic topographic map or something hand-drawn, when it comes to the ideas.

And seriously, bringing sticks as argument of "the right way". One of the biggest exploits in the game, considering that they always point in the same direction and are even better than compass on that part.

And you wont hear cloth "snap", because those pieces would 2 small do do anything like that and to make bigger ones... you wont have enough cloth on average map to make anything useful.

it would be game breaking. We might not know to much of the story so far but what we do know is we got smacked by a geo magnetic storm. So bye bye to the normal north pointing magnetic pull that a compass depends on..

not once did I say anything against an actual map.. I simply stated please don't make it or implement the typical hand holding type.

and as for the stick placements.. Agreed they point the same way but an exploit? How so.

and next.. I was not trying to attack you nor rip you apart. I'm simply going off what information the game devs already provided us with. The sledge hammer comment was self explanatory.. Most games either poke small pin holes in thier story one way or another and not even notice. But if they did in fact provide that compass as of right now with what we do know it would be a massive hole in thier own storytelling.. And again ill repeat myself one more time... With what we know right now! We where hit with a global geo magnetic storm! Our plane crashed do to it..

"bye bye to the normal north pointing magenitic pull" ??? Do you have any idea what you are talkign about ? Like at all ?

Yes, its an exploit, a major one. Its a compass without a compass that point in one exact direction without a fault or error. Hell, all things considering, its more of compass, in terms of showing direction than compass itself, since compass pointer, in those conditions, would "float", giving general direction, but wont point hard north. Right now, you just drop a stick and you know exactly what is in what direction.

And there was nothing self-explanatory in sledge hammer comment, since you havent really provided any facts to support it. General knowledge is self-explanatory, like sky is up and earth is down. None of that is present in LD situation, and based on a physical laws, nothing really prevents compass from working. Maybe it wont work perfectly, well, most likely it wont perfectly, but it will work. General counter-argument to compass usage is "its a geomagnetic event", as being as generic response as possible, with usually no argumentation added to support that premise(Earths magnetic field is in constant state of change and solar flares happen on a daily basis, there is nothing really new there). It just "is" this way, according to those people. And to hell with physical reality or any type of argumentation based on actual facts.

ok. Now your arguing for arguments sake. Your pulling bits and pieces of what I have wrote and placing them where you need them to be.

we can take this into private msging all you want. I don't think you quite read what I wrote..

what I will say is the sticks pointing north sure.. I guess its exploitable.. But for that to happen you would still need to know where your heading.. And for that you would need to know your surroundings. This game has never been about easy. And to clarify I never said use the sticks to find north. I said use them to mark your trails. Drop em like bread crumbs if your still learning the maps..

I really just don't see a place in this game for a compass IMO ( ill say it again so I'm not misunderstood ) the geomagnetic storm was bad enough to even make the wolves and bears act differently ( that's fact ) so I feel as if it would seriously screw with a compass aswell..

everything that I've pointed out is just what either the devs have writen ( in the opening disclaimer of the game about the animals ) or from what we know so far story wise ( opening words for sandbox and maybe the trailers?)

the compass is just my opinion and that opinion is shared by multiple other players as is yours. So cant we just be friends? Or atleast remain friendly in the posts.

Heading. Right. Problem is that when you drop stick and it always drops in the same way you inevitably take a note. And it works far better than any compass. It creates a pattern that is far easier to follow than if sticks would fall randomly.

For example i can be lost in a thick fog and i have no idea where i am, like 0 sense of direction after awhile(especially on ice, i once somehow wandered from one side on the gulf to another on CH, somehow managing to avoid absolutely all landmarks like fishing huts or islands), but just drop a stick and i know exactly where i need to go. I may not know where i am, but i would know where to go, a vector to follow to get where i wannt to get.

Thats one of the reasons why i dont use this exploit. I know all maps fairly well, but getting lost, on occasion, is still an issue.

And how exactly abnormal animal activity is tied to effectiveness of compass ? Its exactly the point ive been trying to make. People just take some random piece of information and use it as "argument". In turn i can use a counter-argument "i can make arrowheads at forge, therefore compass will work".

There has been a cold war going on around whole compass(and maps) idea. Mostly its based on guessing, granted. And devs are holding their mouth shut on that matter. Problem is that in most cases, argumentation against implementation of compass is light, to put it mildly. From the same category as one i used about forge - it is this way because it is this way.

Im not trying to be hostile per se, its just a lot of practice with debates kinda makes me aggressive, when it comes to discussing various stuff. Im not hostile, but i would prefer to have a proper argument, why this or that is or isnt. Not bunch of demagogy that dosnt really prove anything. And im quite well aware that im walking thin line that can lead to suspension or ban.

I like that we don't have compass in this game.  Develops landmark navigation skills.  I don't care what reason they give for the reason why compasses don't work as long as it's science-plausible, not necessarily science-fact.  This is Hinterland's world, and their rules, and our rules may not apply.

2 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I like that we don't have compass in this game.  Develops landmark navigation skills.  I don't care what reason they give for the reason why compasses don't work as long as it's science-plausible, not necessarily science-fact.

+1

And the stick exploit needs to get fixed :)

1 hour ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I don't care what reason they give for the reason why compasses don't work as long as it's science-plausible, not necessarily science-fact.  This is Hinterland's world, and their rules, and our rules may not apply.

Science-plausible called science fiction.

Archived