Nails, Saw Blades, Moose, Wet Clothes & Clothing Line, Rabbit Fur Hat

JobbyPaws Gaming

Here are a few suggestions that I have thought of. 

Nails: Nails would be an interesting item to be able to find. You could hang items up on the wall like Wolf Pelts or repair things like the hole in the Timberwolf Mountain Mountaineers Hut ceiling for a small warmth bonus. You can only use nails if you have a Hammer or the Hatchet. They could also be used for a clothing line (See Below).

Saw Blades: Currently, if your Hacksaw becomes dull, you have to repair it with scrap metal and simple tools. The Hatchet and Knife recently got an update where you can sharpen them with the Whetstone, but that seems impractical for a Hacksaw. My thought was to have a Hacksaw base that never breaks, but the blades will. All you would need to do is replace the blades. The initial Hacksaw could have a blade at a random percent, but then you could find Hacksaw blade boxes that have 2-5 Blades at 100%.

Moose: We are playing in Canada right? How is there not a Moose in the game yet? They could be difficult to approach, charge you if they see you like the Wolf (They also have a wider range of vision than a wolf so they would be easier to provoke), and send you flying with their antlers. The bonus would be they would have a lot of meat, and you could maybe keep the Antlers as a trophy.

Wet Clothes & Clothing Line: They should add the fact that your clothes get wet in the game, and when you enter a warm place they become damp and keep you cold. You could make a clothing line with 2x Gut, and 2x Nails (Mentioned above) and hang it up in a 8-10 foot area indoors near a stationary fire barrel or fire place. This would keep your clothing from going bad, and this would give extra incentive to make a second set of clothing so you could then immediately put on another set while that one drys. You could even add a feature to "Swap clothes" with anything that is currently dry on the line. It could maybe take 2-8 hours to dry them, depending on the clothing item.

Rabbit Fur Hat: Currently you can make an ultimate clothing for Shoes (Deer Skin Boots), Pants (Deer Skin Pants), Jacket (Wolf Skin Coat), Gloves (Rabbit Skin Mittens), and Bedroll (Bear Skin Bedroll) but you cannot make a specialty hat. It would be cool to add a Rabbit Skin Hat, it would give extra incentive to hunt Rabbits, but at the same time complete your wilderness clothing attire.

Some of these I have previously mentioned in my Let's Plays, so please check them out if you haven't yet! You can search for JobbyPaws Gaming on YouTube, or check out my Let's Play page on the forum. Thanks and let me know what you guys think!

Thanks for sharing your suggestions! A few are popular ideas we've seen discussed previously, but it's always interesting to see a new twist put on a suggested mechanic. Your clothing will get wet if you fall through the ice and does require drying time, but the clothing line is (I think) a new suggestion to aid with that mechanic. 

Also, thanks for your support on YouTube! I saw you just surpassed 10,000 views. Congratulations!

Moose not being in the game has bothered me a little, but I can see why they aren't there.  They are MASSIVE, you can drive a sports car right under them in some cases. They would probably take 2-3 bullets or 4-5 arrows in the chest to be taken down in game.  I think I'd be more afraid of one of them making me go flying than a wolf attack because I can fight back with one of them.

1 hour ago, RaeRiceSimmer said:

Moose not being in the game has bothered me a little, but I can see why they aren't there.  They are MASSIVE, you can drive a sports car right under them in some cases. They would probably take 2-3 bullets or 4-5 arrows in the chest to be taken down in game.  I think I'd be more afraid of one of them making me go flying than a wolf attack because I can fight back with one of them.

They're big but you still won't fit a sports car under them. Mythbusters actually tried that in an episode :D

Also, you can down a moose with one well placed shot. Even a .303 is powerful enough. The trick is getting it in the right location and having the correct ammunition. A larger caliber though (such as the 30-06) would be more versatile, have greater stopping power and still be common enough to find. If you did get charged by a moose, hope there's a tree nearby because that's the only way you're escaping uninjured. That happened to Les "Survivorman" Stroud on one of his shoots :)

1) Literally every function of metal nails could be replicated using wooden pegs. Hanging hides off a wall? Use wooden pegs. As for "fixing" the hole in the roof of the Mountaineer's Hut...... where are you going to get the lumber? 9_9. Cut boughs off a handy tree, weave them together, and plug the hole that way

2) Same thing with a hammer. Use a hefty chunk of firewood instead..

3) There is no way it will take 2-8 hours for wet clothing to dry , especially if you are in a cabin with warm air circulating. I climbed Mount Stratton in New England, with 25 below temperatures and 2 feet of snow on the ground. When I went to sleep, I bundled my wet clothing at the bottom of my sleeping bag. Woke up a few hours later to use the "Great Green Latrine", my clothes were perfectly dry.

4) Every single animal on the planet can be killed with a single, well placed arrow or bullet, usually through the vitals. Actually making that one shot through the vitals, on the other hand.....

Having black bear survive more than one bullet/arrow is annoying enough.

36 minutes ago, Boston123 said:

1) Literally every function of metal nails could be replicated using wooden pegs. Hanging hides off a wall? Use wooden pegs. As for "fixing" the hole in the roof of the Mountaineer's Hut...... where are you going to get the lumber? 9_9. Cut boughs off a handy tree, weave them together, and plug the hole that way

2) Same thing with a hammer. Use a hefty chunk of firewood instead..

3) There is no way it will take 2-8 hours for wet clothing to dry , especially if you are in a cabin with warm air circulating. I climbed Mount Stratton in New England, with 25 below temperatures and 2 feet of snow on the ground. When I went to sleep, I bundled my wet clothing at the bottom of my sleeping bag. Woke up a few hours later to use the "Great Green Latrine", my clothes were perfectly dry.

1. Well obviously it wouldn't just be the nails that would patch up the hole lol, reclaimed wood would be good to use. Or even the planks from Desolation Point could be brought over to be used on Timberwolf Mountain if they wanted to make it a challenge.

2. Sure, you could use a hundred different things to put in a nail, but then it wouldn't be a logical game mechanic to have everything be able to do it. If you limit it to the Hatchet and the Hammer, it gives the player a new feature in the game, but not making it immediately accessible when you find it.

3. It also doesn't only take 24 hours to be cured from Severe Hypothermia it can take multiple days. It's a game, it needs to be balanced. Having a 1 hour cool-down for all of your clothes wouldn't be a big deal if you start a fire, you would be warm so clothes aren't that important at that time. So that's why I say 2 hours for small clothing like socks and 8 hours for heavy clothing like the Heavy Wool Sweater or the Wolf Skin Coat. And it could even be a bigger challenge if you HAD to have the fire going for a full 8 hours to dry them.

I'm all for adding new features, but it can't make the game easy. If it's easy, it gets boring, it needs to be a challenge and creating multiple ways to handle situations is key to keep it interesting.

14 hours ago, cekivi said:

A larger caliber though (such as the 30-06) would be more versatile, have greater stopping power and still be common enough to find. If you did get charged by a moose, hope there's a tree nearby because that's the only way you're escaping uninjured.

Oh no! Now we have to climb trees? Please let us get cordage and craft ladders!

And Moose! They should probably be very rare but should offer some sort of special reward but what? Huge antlers? It would make great handles for high quality crafted tools! Moose hide is nice and tough; maybe it would make great mukluks or really warm mitts. The meat is very delicious with a rich flavor; it's best in smoked garlic sausage with pork fat added.

It would be kind of nice to have a Russian style fur cap with the ear flaps. Those are great for the cold. We do have the wolf skin coat which has a hood I believe. Often in winter in Alberta we had a toque inside the hood and a nice fur lining around the hood to keep out the wind.

The warmest fur in the game is probably elk fur (or deer fur) because of its hollow hairs. Sometimes, when it is really cold, the Inuit wear multiple layers. Same as having thermal underwear, fleece shirt, sweater all under your winter coat. We don't have the checked fleece lumberjack shirts that are everywhere in rural Canada. We should be able to stack more clothes on and that would also balance colder weather.

12 hours ago, JobbyPaws Gaming said:

So that's why I say 2 hours for small clothing like socks and 8 hours for heavy clothing like the Heavy Wool Sweater or the Wolf Skin Coat. And it could even be a bigger challenge if you HAD to have the fire going for a full 8 hours to dry them.

How to hell do you get a sweater wet ?

And to get upper clothes wet youd have actually to roll in the snow and then, covered in snow, enter into a warm area. Even when its snowing, you just brush/pat it all off and be on your merry way.

2 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

How to hell do you get a sweater wet ?

And to get upper clothes wet youd have actually to roll in the snow and then, covered in snow, enter into a warm area. Even when its snowing, you just brush/pat it all off and be on your merry way.

It would just be part of the game mechanic. It would actually give a better explanation for Hypothermia in my opinion. If you are in a blizzard for an hour, your clothes can become wet from the snow getting into crevices and then being warmed by your body heat, and then if you have been wet and freezing for an additional hour, Hypothermia sets in. They could also add Severe Hypothermia, where you are freezing and wet for an additional hour after that. Severe Hypothermia could be 48 hours.

3 hours ago, JobbyPaws Gaming said:

It would just be part of the game mechanic. It would actually give a better explanation for Hypothermia in my opinion. If you are in a blizzard for an hour, your clothes can become wet from the snow getting into crevices and then being warmed by your body heat, and then if you have been wet and freezing for an additional hour, Hypothermia sets in. They could also add Severe Hypothermia, where you are freezing and wet for an additional hour after that. Severe Hypothermia could be 48 hours.

I dont remember ever becoming soaking wet when outside in the snow, even if its windy, even for a full day. That small amount that do get in and melts, then evaporates due to internal air circulation combined with body heat.

Imo current system provides rather good view on how freezing may look like. Simplified, sure, but its a good alternative without overcomplicating things.

I would never wear a sweater without a jacket unless it were a very mild day with just a bit of nip to the air. If it's snowy or windy. the wind just cuts through a sweater; you need a wind breaker at least. Snow that hits your body will often melt and soak you through depending upon the outside temperature. If it's cold enough, it won't melt but then you need more insulation. There are plenty of reasons your clothing could be wet such as sweating from strenuous activity or crawling on all fours.

A clothes line is a nice idea and practical. I think it should be made of cordage. Guts are more for sausage casings in my experience! Sinew is good for small jobs but nothing beats cordage for most jobs. Drying one's clothes could be a nightly chore; fail to do it and next day you would loose warmth. OTOH your clothing will tend to dry if you wear it, just not your boots. Best take care of your boots and dry them carefully!

This is what my winter boots look like for cold weather: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=155028032

This is good to -40C or lower with adequate pants and long underwear. Every night you take out the felt lining to dry and put newspaper in it if its at all wet.

22 hours ago, JobbyPaws Gaming said:

I've been in a real blizzard that far north - just in the time it took to get from the car to the house my Dad got frost bite on his hands (he was carrying us and only had driving gloves on) - the wind literally stole your breath away.  No need for moisture at those temps to start hypothermia.  check out the wind chill charts - the army has a good basic one that tells you danger areas and what sort of activity can be done.  But the idea is good - at 0 - 40 degrees moisture is inevitable and can be a serious danger.  

Archived