Q to Devs. Exact sizes of all maps?

thinair

Yes, that was for an update in January right before Pleasant Valley. We're still tracking and sharing data like that, but that sheet doesn't show the exact size of each region either way. Regardless, I'd say we definitely care about tracking stats when we work to give you a way to do it yourself within the game. Thanks for your feedback.

bethany kind of got caught red handed lol how can yall dont know. because what spott posted, thats what i reffered and recalled, i recall mystery lake being like 3 square km, then coastal highway ~7, and pv like 9. So just wondering whats dp, must be like 1 at most, but most curious about TM, if its bigger than pv or not.

If you want to know how large a map is, start a new game in pilgrim, walk to the east end of the map, reset your stats, walk to the west end in as straight a line as possible, check your distance traveled. Now do the same for north -> south and you have a pretty good approximation of the map's size.

def not spending my time on that, when devs for sure know it... but dont post it on purpose.

Why do you want to know so bad? Also using some Pythagorean theorem triangles would be an ok way to measure it out but it doesn't make much sense because PV is mostly flat and easily measure, TM, has much more 3d topography meaning you wouldn't get very accurate 2D measurements doing that.

def not spending my time on that, when devs for sure know it... but dont post it on purpose.

Why do you want to know so bad? Also using some Pythagorean theorem triangles would be an ok way to measure it out but it doesn't make much sense because PV is mostly flat and easily measure, TM, has much more 3d topography meaning you wouldn't get very accurate 2D measurements doing that.

Apparently Hinterland found that number so important that they shoved it into our faces back in January.

They seemed proud of those 19 km².

Now that more regions have been added asking for an update of that number is suddenly met with strange "why do you even bother?!" and "this is irrelevant!" replies, but back in January no one complained.

FWIW Timberwolf Mountain seems to be a 2x2 km map but makes excellent use of the space.

The debug coordinate system which is used to create the community maps is in meters so you can easily compute the sizes of all the maps. ML is 2000 x 1900, PV is 2700 x 3000, TWM is 1900 x 1900 so comparable in size to Mystery Lake. Each grid square is 100 meters square.

Keep in mind that there is a 12 to 1 time compression which simulates much greater distances. Effectively I suppose that makes the maps about 20 km across if you compute it based on the time it would take to cross it in game hours. A normal human walking pace is about 5 kph or 3.1 mph. That means it would take about 4 game hours or 20 play minutes to walk across the 2k distance of the map. I haven't measured it but I think we are moving faster than that. Our walking pace is probably higher than a human would normally walk (without the time compression) but that is a question best answered by the software designers.

It would make an easy enough experiment: start at one end of the ML railroad line and walk to the other end and record the change in game time (survival time) Elapsed time can also be used, just multiply by 12.

It would make an easy enough experiment: start at one end of the ML railroad line and walk to the other end and record the change in game time (survival time) Elapsed time can also be used, just multiply by 12.

I did just that:

From the collapsed tunnel to the end of the train bridge at the dam. Carried 20.02kg and had no strong winds during that time.

Distance = 1.6km Ingame time taken = 1h 21m.

So that's about 1.2km/h. Not terrible but I would have expected something closer to 2km/h.

Yes, the average walking speed of an average human is about 5km/h. But the average human is walking on a hard and relatively flat surface to reach that average speed of 5km/h. Not trudging through the snow. Taking the snow into account and assuming the snow is not a prepared skiing slope, most people would not come close to 5km/h.

Archived