On- screen Map

RickynNiki2014

I don't think that a map would be a bad idea. Map does not need to show where you are, and maybe you had to find the map from somewhere. Or just parts of it.

Someone suggested on reddit that there would be huge map on some wall and you could not take it with you, that's a good idea too.

It's the suggested on-screen map that I am against... (As it would show where you are, and make the exploration experience less ... explory :) )

Finding a map would be alright I think, at least it could be-- It would show on certain detail and perhaps only for a certain location.

map on some wall and you could not take it with you

This could work, certain places like the camp office in ML for instance.

A compass (which I don't know if it exists in game or not but should be in pocket from the start) would be a fantastic addition. That little bit of help knowing what direction you're heading would be invaluable.

I definitely think a brochure type map of the local area that is findable and has weight would be great too, but not an onscreen map with an arrow pointing where you are and the surrounding territory landmarks, elevation and resources, screw that.

On a side note, you should make patrol maps by hand, indicating not distance, but the time it takes to get from one location and the general direction, that way even in a storm you know it takes 2 min to this place, 5 min to this place, all of my patrol maps have to be redone because we walk at a different pace now.

I really enjoy not having a map, and I haven't looked online either. Part of the fun of this game for me personally is having to navigate my way using my brain instead of a built in gps in the corner of the screen. It's really intuitive and adds to the realism of the game in my opinion.

Agreed. I still think a map (or parts of a map) could be an interesting way to provide information to players, not strictly in the sense of geography-- subtle clues about the game that could provide the inquisitive player with a reward, or back story.. specific e.g. There's an achievement for catching a certain sized fish. What if the there was a map just showing the fishing hut locations, and scrawled on it is someone's message about how they 'lost the big one' at X hut, or one hut is just circled in pen. A subtle clue that the fishing in general might be better at that hut or that could be the only spot to find the Achievement fish. Sure, many people will find the right one just by luck/trial and error, but finding the fishing map, be it on a wall, in a bunker, on a corpse etc, would provide something for the player to target--subtlety is the key. I think it would actually better if it was not an object, just stuck on a wall somewhere, and you'd have to just be observant enough to notice.

Right now it would be out of place, I suppose, as there is no developed narrative or much of a sense of the people that inhabited the maps,. That might change as we go. (I expect it will have to in story mode! :D)

I think that a map of a zone if is every exists in game could be like a simple road map the does't show much detail that you could find in a home, maybe behind a couch or something. I also like the idea of hard written notations to this map that could help tell the story of the area before the disaster.

I agree that having it as a HUD addition would make it a lot easier, but this may not be wanted by all players (I wouldn't want it). However, this may be another idea for a customizable difficulty that allows some to turn it on and some off.

Either way, I would find it more immersive (although less realistic) that if there is a map on paper in your inventory or on a wall somewhere (maybe you can take it with you and place it on a wall yourself at will) that the places you haven't been to would have a fog of war or something so you can't see any details. This would make it help those who need a bit of help with direction in places they've already been to, but also keeps us in a healthy mystery with those places we haven't.

Maybe a fine distinction would be if you can get to higher land and look out over a location, the map will reveal some details but still keep a level of fog or uncertainty until you actually move to the location in question.

I agree with most people here... NO map please. Or if there is one included please let me turn it OFF.

A few people including myself have asked for a really basic version of 'Paint' where we can, through trial and error, develop our own maps. This could also function as a sketch pad. We could upload pictures we draw to the community and have a competition where the winner gets The Hinterland Coffee Cup, a scarf @ 30%, a genuine piece of snow and some fresh ice... none of that frozen crap ;)

I think there are a few locations where a map as a permanent piece of wall (or tabletop) art makes sense.

The ML camp office, lookouts, bunkers, and maybe the CH gas station and the dam, are places where a map ought to be found. If it is permanently attached to a surface, players can only consult it when they are in that location.

The camp office map might only show the lake district, the ML lookout tower might only show the logging area, and so on. The larger the area, the less detail ought to be shown. And no convenient "you are here" arrows.

If different maps had different markings, generated by the bunker placement, they might provide clues to find bunkers or (new) hidden caches. Possible locations could be marked with (big) circles, with some crossed off. Consulting multiple maps would allow a player to narrow down the number of places to look, but maps might also have additional false locations marked as possible locations. (Put yourself in the shoes of a new player, who might not even know what he will find if he goes to those locations -- I only found out about bunkers when I logged onto the forum!)

Better yet, put a map of possible bunker locations in the bunker in another zone -- the prepper in ML was trying to find the bunker in PV, and vice versa.

Another marking possibility is to have marks mean different things, from map to map or from game to game. The map in one CH location (or game) might have circles where there are abandoned cars, but another map might have circles where the bear caves are.

Also, map condition (size, completeness, legibility, etc.) doesn't have to be consistent from game to game. Maps can be (partially) torn down, splattered with coffee or blood, or even clawed at. (Which gives me a great idea!)

Just thoughts.

I think there are a few locations where a map as a permanent piece of wall (or tabletop) art makes sense.

The ML camp office, lookouts, bunkers, and maybe the CH gas station and the dam, are places where a map ought to be found. If it is permanently attached to a surface, players can only consult it when they are in that location.

The camp office map might only show the lake district, the ML lookout tower might only show the logging area, and so on. The larger the area, the less detail ought to be shown. And no convenient "you are here" arrows.

If different maps had different markings, generated by the bunker placement, they might provide clues to find bunkers or (new) hidden caches. Possible locations could be marked with (big) circles, with some crossed off. Consulting multiple maps would allow a player to narrow down the number of places to look, but maps might also have additional false locations marked as possible locations. (Put yourself in the shoes of a new player, who might not even know what he will find if he goes to those locations -- I only found out about bunkers when I logged onto the forum!)

Better yet, put a map of possible bunker locations in the bunker in another zone -- the prepper in ML was trying to find the bunker in PV, and vice versa.

Another marking possibility is to have marks mean different things, from map to map or from game to game. The map in one CH location (or game) might have circles where there are abandoned cars, but another map might have circles where the bear caves are.

Also, map condition (size, completeness, legibility, etc.) doesn't have to be consistent from game to game. Maps can be (partially) torn down, splattered with coffee or blood, or even clawed at. (Which gives me a great idea!)

Just thoughts.

In my opinion you are right. To have a minimap in the HUD would somehow broke the immersion of the game.

I agree the map could be implemented putting them inside the enviroment where you can look at them, maybe sketch them down for your later use.

Camp office, lookouts, etc are perfect places ready to host a map wallpaper pin on the walls, an advertisement panel with a nice drawing of the area you're in, a coffee stained old chart left on a bench...

I definitely think a brochure type map of the local area that is findable and has weight would be great too, but not an onscreen map with an arrow pointing where you are and the surrounding territory landmarks, elevation and resources, screw that.

Agree there could be some records of the lay-of-the-land around. Maybe a carton style map painted on a wall. Or an artist's rendition on a placemat. But nothing so bold as to determine actual placement and certainly never a "you are here" dot.

All symbolic of course to avoid translation issues.

Having reached the gas station, why wouldn't there be a map of some kind in there? I imagine MOST people in post apocalypse are not going to need to raid the map from their local gas station so the disney world style map showing point of interests might still be there.

That being said, I see no need for a map, in this game, and I certainly wouldn't want a COD style hud element.

I imagine MOST people in post apocalypse are not going to need to raid the map from their local gas station so the disney world style map showing point of interests might still be there.

Don't forget, these are rather remote areas, so not really heavy on tourism traffic. ;)

Mystery Lake would be mostly seasonal forestry workers

Coastal Highway is mostly a small working fishing village

Pleasant Valley would be mainly remote farmsteads

+1 for being able to find a map in the game, and have the player "hold" it to look at it, like in Far Cry or Minecraft.

Also you could burn it, for those players who are hardcore!

Also +1 for more fixed maps on walls that give little hints or glimpses of the area, like the fishing huts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived