May 2024 Developer Diary

9 hours ago, Enigmaecho said:

Gotta say a bit shocked not disappointed but shocked that we’re getting the last tale cougar and region this update I knew these three would be together but I expected it last after the trader, safehouse customization, photography, and wildlife reset, I figured that would’ve been part 5

I’m thinking that the Devs are saving those for last because it’s more efficient from a coding aspect.  
If those things are implemented before all regions/wildlife/weapons/etc. are added, they would have to retrofit each new item in the updates.  
Especially the safe house customization! That’s got to be a huge amount of programming.  
Plus, wildlife refresh at the VERY end makes everything feel new for the completed package.  

just my thoughts anyway

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

You’ve really taken to the gif’s!

Good on ya

Well, there's only a limited amount of information to discuss. I can't think of more comments right now on the Dev Diary. A lot of what I thought has already been said.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pyroxene said:

Well, there's only a limited amount of information to discuss. I can't think of more comments right now on the Dev Diary. A lot of what I thought has already been said.

Ahhhhhh makes sense

Well if you need somewhere else to input your opinions, go check out my wish list request for a crafted crude rifle/firearm and let me know what you think!

(I’m trying to build some traction on the idea 🤣🤣)

• Upvote 1

I may not be fan of new "Cheat the death system" but to ask are we getting  and option do enable or disable it after starting a run (like with cougar). Also because of that system i think it would be fair to enable feats in custom runs or at least disable their progress if u use the chance to get another life. Do we get any new clothing items from cougar tho? Would be really disappointing if not.

• Hinterland
17 hours ago, Adamo said:

Switch player here very excited :) no idea how the expansion works in purchase terms but it literally doesn’t matter I’m in the queue and can’t wait :)  (Also have TLD on ps5 pro but that’s gathering dust as the switch is just such a great way to dip in and out of Great Bear)

TALES is paid DLC. On the Switch, it'll appear as DLC in the eShop.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm hoping we'll be able to craft a nice Cougar fur shirt, or maybe some fur socks? Assuming the risk/reward will be similar to Moose/Bear and the Cougar won't be a simple 1 shot kill with the bow. The hunted becomes the hunter is the scenario playing in my mind for when I notice signs in game. What could possibly go wrong? lol

Very excited for the new update!

Edited by Hazelnut
add excitement
  • Like 1

Actually really happy with misery mode and cheat death as well! The cougar sounds SO awesome, such a wonderful way to implement them.

Will we be able to hunt the cougar down when we have signs it has moved into the territory we are in, or does the physical creature only spawn in during the attack sequence?

On 5/14/2024 at 12:46 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

1) Yes, they are "good enough" at the game (whatever that means to you). They are good enough for us to believe they are the right people to help playtest the feature.

2) You don't know all the reasons why people choose to back up save files.

3) Tim Cain is a great game designer! And the analogy doesn't hold water here. We didn't add Cheat Death *because* people are backing up saves. We added it to play with the Permadeath formula in a way we thought would be interesting. The "save scumming" behaviour has been around for years and suggests strongly that there are some players who, given the option, would love to avoid losing their Saves. Lots of those folks will still continue to back up their Saves because "Cheating Death" still won't be as good for them as just reloading a save they backed up. This system doesn't replace Permadeath or try to fix a problem. It just adds a new dimension and what we believe will be an interesting choice for the players who choose to use it.

I can totally see some people who are wanting a higher level of difficulty intentionally triggering the cheat death early on just to make the game harder for themselves and adding a new dimension.

• Upvote 3

Cougars' main food is deer, so interactions between them and deer in game would make sense.

I am really curious what marks cougars will leave to let us know we've overstayed our welcome in a given region. Yellow spots in the snow? Paw prints? Scratch marks? Faraway screeches?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

Or scare them off like the bear does to the wolves

Imagine sitting up high getting ready to shoot the bear or moose only to suddenly get pounced on from above

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Imagine sitting up high getting ready to shoot the bear or moose only to suddenly get pounced on from above

OMG that's horrifying! And brilliant!!  ^_^

• Upvote 1

I wonder with which update will we get recipes for the recycled can! And what will those be 🤔 

I'm imagining some sort of muffin, like the ones people do in microwave 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, bysinda said:

I wonder with which update will we get recipes for the recycled can! And what will those be 🤔 

I'm imagining some sort of muffin, like the ones people do in microwave 

Hey, good point. I'd totally forgotten about that!  ^_^

• Like 1

like what I'm seeing so far.  I would love to see a bit more options in the custom game selection like for glimmer fog and regular fog like there are for blizzards, just to fine tune my custom playthroughs a bit more.  But really excited to see what new things come with the new map and modes!

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I’m thinking that the Devs are saving those for last because it’s more efficient from a coding aspect.  
If those things are implemented before all regions/wildlife/weapons/etc. are added, they would have to retrofit each new item in the updates.  
Especially the safe house customization! That’s got to be a huge amount of programming.  
Plus, wildlife refresh at the VERY end makes everything feel new for the completed package.  

just my thoughts anyway

Good theory makes sense 

• Upvote 1

I’ve read through all the comments and noticed no one has asked this yet. You don’t have to reply, it’s just something I’m curious about. So far I know each game will have a cougar with a single den somewhere random in the world. We can find the den and destroy it if we want the cougar to leave us alone for awhile. But what it doesn’t say is if the den can move locations in a single game? 

So if the cougar gets “interested” in us and comes to our territory, will the den also come to that territory with it? Or if we do find the den and successfully destroy it, when it comes back eventually, will it be in a different spot the second time?