The Long Dark Mythbuster series: CRAMPONS!

If you're used to seeing the [running/climbing] stamina meter go down without crampons then it might certainly seem like you're going faster when using crampons possibly because you see yourself getting further for the same amount of stamina expended e.g.  you didn't have to stop on a ledge to regain stamina to complete the climb.  

• Upvote 2

I usually wait to climb any rope until I'm full on both metres.  So I've never really paid attention to how quickly they go down..  at least not until that bug last year when I nearly fell because the stamina ran out half the way up..       that was fun .😁

• Upvote 1

Very clean confirmation of the mechanics, Zak. Maybe you could have included a quick test on the ice too, to see how much longer wearing crampons gives you before it breaks. Tho to be fair, that might be a bit more difficult to create identical tests for, since falling through triggers a new autosave. The ankle sprain thing probably isn't worth trying to parse out tho - too much RNG in that one.

On 3/26/2024 at 5:06 PM, artmunki said:

Very clean confirmation of the mechanics, Zak. Maybe you could have included a quick test on the ice too, to see how much longer wearing crampons gives you before it breaks.

1 extra second.

The default is 5, with crampons you can be on ice for 6 seconds. Doesn't sound like much but that's a 20% increase, and really makes a huge difference. At a full sprint you can travel a good distance in 1 second.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

1 extra second.

The default is 5, with crampons you can be on ice for 6 seconds. Doesn't sound like much but that's a 20% increase, and really makes a huge difference. At a full sprint you can travel a good distance in 1 second.

Good to know!  ^_^