New fish have no vitamin C content

Pretty much as the title says, Goldeye, Burbot, Rockfish and Red Irish Lord all don't have any vitamin C content making them vastly inferior since the scurvy mechanic dropped. Was wondering if this was either intentional or otherwise a known bug?

Also had a look around to see if this has been posted before but seemingly not. Please delete/ignore if duplicate thread.

• Upvote 5

I would assume an oversight on the devs' part.  One that they should have caught in QA but didn't.  I would expect something in the DLC part 5 update whenever that is or if they had to do some hotfix for some other serious game problem.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:26 PM, Sir Moneybags said:

Pretty much as the title says, Goldeye, Burbot, Rockfish and Red Irish Lord all don't have any vitamin C content making them vastly inferior since the scurvy mechanic dropped. Was wondering if this was either intentional or otherwise a known bug?

Also had a look around to see if this has been posted before but seemingly not. Please delete/ignore if duplicate thread.

I've also noticed this but i always forget to report it as a bug.
It's a really weird choice, because it makes some of the new fish doubly worthless, given that some of them are substantially smaller than the usual ones.
(while we're on the topic, fishing lures have been bugged ever since release and they DECREASE your chance to catch fish!)

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2024 at 4:44 AM, Sir Moneybags said:

I would hope a hotfix as its a fairly serious issue for long runs.

Seeing as the new fish are uncommon, is it really a serious issue?  I do agree it's an oversight on HL's part.

On 3/19/2024 at 1:36 PM, hozz1235 said:

Seeing as the new fish are uncommon, is it really a serious issue?  I do agree it's an oversight on HL's part.

To someone who keeps up to date with the forums/reddit etc then no it is not an issue. However, using any lure will not only decrease your chance to catch fish as BugReportEnthusiast pointed out, but it will also massively increase your chance to catch any of the new fish. In my loper game I wasted 2 days trying to stock up on vitamin C, only to realise that the lure was hampering my efforts rather than improving them. I had to read a reddit page to find out what was going on which was using some very sketchy data.

On 3/16/2024 at 8:58 PM, BugReportEnthusiast said:

(while we're on the topic, fishing lures have been bugged ever since release and they DECREASE your chance to catch fish!)

Yeah, they're completely useless.

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2024 at 11:37 AM, Sir Moneybags said:

To someone who keeps up to date with the forums/reddit etc then no it is not an issue. However, using any lure will not only decrease your chance to catch fish as BugReportEnthusiast pointed out, but it will also massively increase your chance to catch any of the new fish. In my loper game I wasted 2 days trying to stock up on vitamin C, only to realise that the lure was hampering my efforts rather than improving them. I had to read a reddit page to find out what was going on which was using some very sketchy data.

Gotcha.  It's a serious issue if you use lures.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:26 PM, Sir Moneybags said:

Also I wanna add to this that the "big" fish now have very very poor vitamin C content, and it sucks a lot.

For example, smallmouth bass has 5.33 VitC per 1000kcal, meaning that if you eat bass at 2500kcal a day, you'll gain 13.3 VitC per day.
You need 20 VitC per day to completely stave off scurvy, so even with a diet of pure fish, you cannot keep scurvy at bay.

We have like 10 types of fish in the game now, and only 2 of them give you a workable amount of Vitamin C