Wolves now eating frozen carcasses?

Leeanda

Has anyone else noticed this?   I was in the birch area in twm when I heard a wolf growling /eating.. expecting a fresh deer I chased him off to find a frozen carcass instead....  It's the first time I've seen that..is it new or have I missed something?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Has anyone else noticed this?   I was in the birch area in twm when I heard a wolf growling /eating.. expecting a fresh deer I chased him off to find a frozen carcass instead....  It's the first time I've seen that..is it new or have I missed something?

Could be a timing thing, I’ve noticed if it’s really cold the carcass will freeze during your harvest animation 🤔

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Enigmaecho said:

Could be a timing thing, I’ve noticed if it’s really cold the carcass will freeze during your harvest animation 🤔

The carcass was already frozen when I got there.. it was at 22% condition and looked exactly the same as all the pre-placed carcasses..

I never bothered harvesting it as I assumed it wouldn't have much meat left .  

I just wondered if it was one of the new things they mentioned or it was a bug..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Can't recall seeing this behavior.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

I think I’ve seen it happen once before the update… so I wouldn’t think it’s a new change or a bug…

You've seen them eating pre-placed ones?    I've Sen them sniffing around near to them but not eating them..

4 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Can't

Can't recall seeing this behavior.

I can't either,I wonder if it's something to do with the new zoc wolf behaviour.. 

If that wolf eating was seen fairly consistently by others at that location, then it was likely a scripted action for the wolf to be there and "apparently" eating.  The presence of a ravaged carcass was part of the script so if you'd happened by 10 days or 100 days later it would have not finished the carcass.  Once the wolf was interrupted the script ends.  That the carcass of the presumably "freshly killed" deer being frozen was just one of those inconsistencies that pop up in the game.  

I can imagine that the wolf and carcass was put there by the devs to 1) draw the character's attention to a food source and 2) if needed, provide some [uncontaminated] meat for the character to access.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

If that wolf eating was seen fairly consistently by others at that location, then it was likely a scripted action for the wolf to be there and "apparently" eating.  The presence of a ravaged carcass was part of the script so if you'd happened by 10 days or 100 days later it would have not finished the carcass.  Once the wolf was interrupted the script ends.  That the carcass of the presumably "freshly killed" deer being frozen was just one of those inconsistencies that pop up in the game.  

I can imagine that the wolf and carcass was put there by the devs to 1) draw the character's attention to a food source and 2) if needed, provide some [uncontaminated] meat for the character to access.  

There is a ravaged carcass nearby already,it's one that's always been there..and surrounded by crows..   there are also two more on the route to the log bridge ...  I'm on pilgrim too and it wasn't too far from the containers so needing food isn't an issue... ...   It wasn't just frozen,the belly was also eaten away..

I've just never seen it before... Plenty of fresh deer yes but not ravaged ones.. 

I haven't been to Zone of Contamination but will get there eventually.  I am now at Orca gas station trying to get myself motivated to walk into Milton.  

I am only in Milton and, eventually, to Hushed River Valley because of the Signal Void Tale.  This is literally the first time ever that I have ventured here.  Those regions  had always been my "there be dragons" place to be explored once Perseverance Mills went live and brought Wintermute to an end.  I am not completely unfamiliar with the regions since I do watch other do play-throughs.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Leeanda said:

You've seen them eating pre-placed ones?    I've Sen them sniffing around near to them but not eating them..

I don't think the wolves are aware of the spawned-in carcasses.  When a wolf kills a deer it can take a while to eat it, long enough I'm sure for it to freeze.  If a wolf spends more than a few moments at the deer now (with the new harvesting look), the deer appears "ravaged" and bloody, similar to the pre-placed carcasses.

Edited by MrWolf

32 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I don't think the wolves are aware of the spawned-in carcasses.  When a wolf kills a deer it can take a while to eat it, long enough I'm sure for it to freeze.  If a wolf spends more than a few moments at the deer now (with the new harvesting look), the deer appears "ravaged" and bloody, similar to the pre-placed carcasses.

If it is that it would make sense... But it isn't the same with rabbits,at least the  frozen looks anyway... 

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

@Leeanda 1st run for some time and i went to some crows cricling high on the slow behind Old Spence's forge and there was a woof right by a frozen carcass. It barked at me and i didn't see it eating but its the tiny high up bit of slope... coincidence? I think not! so either wolves can roam/sniff/visit carcasses or there is a set piece where the carcass spawns with a wolf. Or something...more mysterious.

Edited by Stone
Typos but they're funny ao leaving them in
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stone said:

@Leeanda 1st run for some time and i went to some crows cricling high on the slow behind Old Spence's forge and there was a woof right by a frozen carcass. It barked at me and i didn't see it eating but its the tiny high up bit of slope... coincidence? I think not! so either wolves can roam/sniff/visit carcasses or there is a set piece where the carcass spawns with a wolf. Or something...more mysterious.

I know where you mean,got stuck in fig there just this morning ..again lol... 

The one I saw was definitely eating, I heard the munching in-between the growling..