Chemical Poisoning

(Posted this elsewhere, but this seems like a more relevant topic to do so)

I really got caught off guard by something that seems strange to me, would love people's opinion on it.... so, I mostly try to save canisters and run through the gas sections of the mine, and will admittedly use most of the count down to suffocation before putting the mask on if I can't reach a safe place. When I do, the affliction is healed, and I wear it until I reach what (I think?) I know as a safe spot. Then I remove the mask, and bam! the countdown starts again, right where it was, at 5 sec. Before I understand what's happening and can put the mask on, I fade into the long dark.

If the affliction is "healed", shouldn't the countdown start "full"..? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PilgrimReaper said:

I really got caught off guard by something that seems strange to me, would love people's opinion on it.... so, I mostly try to save canisters and run through the gas sections of the mine, and will admittedly use most of the count down to suffocation before putting the mask on if I can't reach a safe place. When I do, the affliction is healed, and I wear it until I reach what (I think?) I know as a safe spot. Then I remove the mask, and bam! the countdown starts again, right where it was, at 5 sec. Before I understand what's happening and can put the mask on, I fade into the long dark.

Chemical Poisoning is different from suffocation.

7 minutes ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Hmm. Ok, I see what you mean. Gas / fumes + gas mask led me to post this here. Apologies if this is inaccurate.

No worries.  Just wanted to clarify the difference.  While they are different, the use of the gas mask you are experiencing may still apply to both.

51 minutes ago, Sir Major M.oos.E Sr. said:

Chemical poisoning is no big deal.

☠️

For me, the worst thing about it was that it seems to reset your well-fed condition. I got kinda lost in glimmer fog on my second day in the Zone, and almost wandered  into that big poisoned pool near the main mine area because I couldn't see where I was going, and unfortunately managed to pick the worst route around the back of it, where the slopes keep you close to the pool and almost always in the fume cloud. Great introduction to the new region! So yeah, ended up poisoned on my second day, clothing a bit wrecked, and it wasn't until I actually found some shelter that I realised both elements of the well-fed bonus (weight & health boost) had been wiped out. Kinda makes sense, given the nature of poisoning, but it was still a bit of a kick in the teeth.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sir Major M.oos.E Sr. said:

Chemical poisoning is no big deal.

Astrid has been twenty something days into the zone and got it a couple of times

chemical.thumb.jpg.f9487617638b4344c30f8bd301442ab3.jpg

☠️

Ha!  Evidently, the count ticks for just being exposed.  I'll have to check my stats when I'm off work.  I've run through a LOT of it too.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:03 AM, PilgrimReaper said:

You may have inadvertently walked back into gas or into another gas section the only way to tell is look at your canisters before taking it off if they are still draining you are still in gas and the countdown only resets in fresh air once you take mask off if you had it in on from previous gas without resetting that might have confused you?

• Upvote 1

RE: suffocation: I really don't like how the suffocation meter does not reset when you put on the mask. You're breathing at that point, not suffocating. Died that way myself. Luckily I always back up my save files, in case of weird stuff like this. Learning illogical game rules in that fashion is kind of dumb in a perma-death game.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Enigmaecho said:

You may have inadvertently walked back into gas or into another gas section the only way to tell is look at your canisters before taking it off if they are still draining you are still in gas and the countdown only resets in fresh air once you take mask off if you had it in on from previous gas without resetting that might have confused you?

Are you saying canisters will not drain once you hit fresh air? That wasn't my impression...

7 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Are you saying canisters will not drain once you hit fresh air? That wasn't my impression...

The best way to tell exactly where the poisoned air starts is to already have your mask on. The canister bar will be static at first, then starts depleting as soon as you step into the gas, and once you've walked through the depletion only stops when you're in fresh air again. If the canisters didn't run out so damn quickly, you could just walk around the whole region with your mask on and watch the canister bar to mark out the exact borders of every patch of poison gas, if you were so inclined. The canisters only run down when the mask is actively filtering gas.

Speaking about the main topic, I haven't got the poisoned affliction just yet. How do the stims help in this situation? Do they reduce the time it takes to heal back, or do they just add 15% max condition back? If so, how much time do they cut off from the recovery process?

6 hours ago, Dan_ said:

Speaking about the main topic, I haven't got the poisoned affliction just yet. How do the stims help in this situation? Do they reduce the time it takes to heal back, or do they just add 15% max condition back? If so, how much time do they cut off from the recovery process?

One stim will completely remove one application of the affliction.  In my case, it took a total of 2.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1