Can we get a toggle for the carcass harvesting animations?

itsLydt

I really wanted to like them. I still think the concept is interesting and a good idea to make the game more engaging. However, they move the camera a lot and are very jerky - the camera bounces up and down with the sawing motion of the tool, etc. I am very susceptible to motion sickness in games so this makes me nauseous. 

Even if the animations didn't cause this problem I don't want to watch it so many times per animal. Imagine harvesting a moose in 1 kg chunks you'll have to see the animation about 35 times. 

• Upvote 4

I find elements of them chunky and jarring, as you say; and of course, the down side of animating things in games is that the animations can become repetitive.  Rather than an overall toggle, maybe a "skip harvesting animation" option or, even better, a "skip all future harvesting animations" button.  That way, the command could be given while within an existing run (since we can't change custom toggles after we've started a run).

I'm still hoping that the actual animations they've done can be made smoother and more immersive as they tweak them.  This is something new they just figured out how to do, so I'm willing to give them some time to work on it more.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I find elements of them chunky and jarring, as you say; and of course, the down side of animating things in games is that the animations can become repetitive.  Rather than an overall toggle, maybe a "skip harvesting animation" option or, even better, a "skip all future harvesting animations" button.  That way, the command could be given while within an existing run (since we can't change custom toggles after we've started a run).

I'm still hoping that the actual animations they've done can be made smoother and more immersive as they tweak them.  This is something new they just figured out how to do, so I'm willing to give them some time to work on it more.

I think it should be an accessibility option! Or if they rework them to make them smoother that's probably fine too 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, itsLydt said:

I think it should be an accessibility option! Or if they rework them to make them smoother that's probably fine too 

While HL is considering your request, does it help to just look away from the screen while the animation is playing?  

3 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

While HL is considering your request, does it help to just look away from the screen while the animation is playing?  

Yeah, currently I close my eyes during it. But I'm not great at the timing yet and it also feels like it takes so long for the animation to finish when you're sitting there with your eyes closed. I hope they resolve it somehow so I can just play the game normally lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, itsLydt said:

It may indeed come to that.  We'll still waiting on a number of those that affect vision differences - e.g. a contrast adjustment and a glimmer fog toggle.  I'd like to also make allowable for us to make such adjustments mid-file though (particularly with contrast, since a change is sometimes as good as a rest).

• Upvote 1