Is there gravity anomaly in the Long Dark?

My character is just wandering around the Forsaken Airfield. Once I entered the Hangar and this struck my eyes. The bucket sway. There is no way the chain could be affecting the sway this much. According the hangar position, the bucket sway is towards SW. The connection with Transfer pass is that way. Could it be the Ruddiger  created something with high gravity?

• Upvote 2

Or a magnetic anomaly, which we know we do have in TLD, though usually only in the form of atmospheric activity.

For it to be gravity it would have to be a pretty high difference in gravity coming from a very specific spot, and that would affect a lot more than just a swinging bucket. As would the magnetism!

The arc of the swing looks about right for the length of the chain (and Earth gravity) - I'm sure it's a very basic thing for a physics engine to get right. It just might be a bit too long for the space it's in so it's janked a bit instead of having it hit the wall.

• Upvote 2

Magetic field disturbance is better explanaition than gravity. But you know, I am under influence of the Interstellar movie. Lucky for us, whatever it is, it only affects the bucket. Imagine if it would affect the metal arrowhead. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Seeing as there is (no?) airflow in the hangar, I'm surprised this is moving at all.

Air movement effects would be negligible, but it's going to be affected by whatever movements of the hangar where it's attached: it's being buffetted by epically strong winds that it almost certainly was not designed for, I'm sure it's shaking enough to set up a pendulum swing. The noisiness of the hangar in strong winds is an indication of how much it's moving. It doesn't take that much.

2 hours ago, acada said:

Magetic field disturbance is better explanaition than gravity. But you know, I am under influence of the Interstellar movie. Lucky for us, whatever it is, it only affects the bucket. Imagine if it would affect the metal arrowhead. 

I'm only using scrap aluminium for my arrowheads from now on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xanna said:

Air movement effects would be negligible, but it's going to be affected by whatever movements of the hangar where it's attached: it's being buffetted by epically strong winds that it almost certainly was not designed for, I'm sure it's shaking enough to set up a pendulum swing. The noisiness of the hangar in strong winds is an indication of how much it's moving. It doesn't take that much.

If what you're suggesting, and it's the building shaking which is causing the bucket to swing, that place is going to come crashing down any time!  Also, even if it was wind, I'm assuming the bucket continues to swing even when there is no wind outside...

• Upvote 1

Not really, it doesn't require a lot of initial displacement to get a pendulum going, the size of the effect is dependent on the length of the chain once it's got going.

If you hold a pendulum on a long thread and try to hold it perfectly still, it will still move quite a bit.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, xanna said:

Not really, it doesn't require a lot of initial displacement to get a pendulum going, the size of the effect is dependent on the length of the chain once it's got going.

If you hold a pendulum on a long thread and try to hold it perfectly still, it will still move quite a bit.

Okay, so what happens when there is zero wind for hours? It would not keep swinging at that rate.  Also, that bucket weighs nothing compared to that chain, so the pendulum dynamics can't be compared to this.

Edited by hozz1235

Also, maybe it is just on my screen (and not there in the game to check it) but it seems to sway in one direction more, than the opposite one. Like as a huge magnet pulls it and releases it repeatedly.

i start to buy into @acada’s idea, that something like that (ie a huge magnet) could be inside the hill near the mine and affecting it.

that could also be responsible for the increased aurora activity…

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AdamvR said:

It must be magnetic. 
If it was a gravity thing, it would change the axis compared to the building (it would go around). See also: Foucault pendulum

But, but... I like to think that it is my father in 4th dimension tickling the bucket via gravity. 😟

9 hours ago, odizzido said:

My guess is that the asset was made as a straight beam but the person who put it in the map tilted it and so we have that.

Nonono no bugs, please, no bugs. I dont want this to be fixed. It adds to the game atmosphere. If anybody is watching it, please do not fix it if it is bug.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2