Merch store

piorun314

I just tried to order just now and all the items I wanted were out of stock (specifically the Hinterland mug and the Jackrabbit Transport hoodie). I know it has been mentioned there will be new items in the store next year, but would Hinterland consider having a one off pre-order for anyone who wants something using the existing designs (including the posters and ideally a wider range of sizes)? This way fans can get hold of what they want and Hinterland does not need to find space for holding stock.

• Upvote 1

Demand massively exceeded supply. They explained the reasoning in their post but basically they had to shut the store down due to COVID and it's been down this whole time. Presumably they didn't reorder anything, and simply opened the store briefly with whatever merch they had left in stock, just to get some stuff out for the holidays. People have been asking for it for a long time, after all, makes total sense that they'd opt to liquidate remaining stock vs. let it sit in some back room. They have plans to open the store for real, this is just sort of an appetizer if you wanna call it that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Asinine said:

Seriously, this is bad business. 

For a retailer sure, but they aren't a retailer. They expressly stated they opened this due to public demand. It wasn't like they had some shady back-door meeting over how to bait-and-switch the merch store. Right before the Teams meeting with Lex Luthor on that heist he's working on, something about forty cakes. I get it, you're let down, but this wasn't (and shouldn't have been interpreted as) a re-opening of the merch store.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Demand massively exceeded supply. They explained the reasoning in their post but basically they had to shut the store down due to COVID and it's been down this whole time. Presumably they didn't reorder anything, and simply opened the store briefly with whatever merch they had left in stock, just to get some stuff out for the holidays. People have been asking for it for a long time, after all, makes total sense that they'd opt to liquidate remaining stock vs. let it sit in some back room. They have plans to open the store for real, this is just sort of an appetizer if you wanna call it that.

Hopefully you're right about an eventual reopening of the store with some new merchandise. 

HL - I already put in a hopeful suggestion for microwavable versions of the mugs (just more practical or everyday use these days).  I'd also like to put in a suggestion for a deck of TLD playing cards (for me to pass time at home 😀 when I'm not playing TLD, of course), as well as some less expensive items.  I'd also like to see the Cowichan sweater design available in a less expensive version in children's sizes (since that brings me right back to the ones my mother knit for me as a kid).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'd also like to see the Cowichan sweater design available in a less expensive version in children's sizes

This probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Granted does have a lot of designs in a lot of sizes. Their garments are all hand-knitted so custom sizes are totally on the menu, you just gotta contact them. They also do repairs on Granted-specific garments.

To be clear I'm not a shill, I'm just a customer who looked into it and decided that I'm not responsible enough to own one of these lol. They're very high quality, and deserving of a better owner than I.

Edit: Also they're sold out now anyhow, so it's a moot point. Check out Granted, their knitters make some really good stuff.

Edited by ajb1978

Hinterland, please let us know if you're going to resupply the store, most of it is sold out after less than 24h. I woke up in EU timezone and didn't have a chance to get there at opening.

Maybe you could setup preorder and then order from suppliers once you know exactly how much to order and keep little stock. This way ordering will take longer to receive for customers but everyone will be happy and have their goods in the end, not only those who are in the right timezone or wake up early.

Edited by yoli

I don't expect this to ever come up again, since if we're being real how often do global pandemics disrupt the merch store of an indie game studio? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is such a highly-specific one-off that will probably never happen again in the entire lifetime of the human species.

But if it does, perhaps an auction would be a better venue to liquidate excess stock. Close the biddings December 1, let the whole world compete over what remains during November.

Ultimately "I can't outbid a guy willing to spend $50,000 on a sweater" is just as valid as "I woke up too late to have a chance." But one approach generates more profit than the other.

• Like 1