Unreachable coal reachable?

bysinda

21 minutes ago, bysinda said:

image.thumb.png.1f49f3830e49b9dfdc5189af85c1a813.png

It's been bugging me for years. Is there a way to collect these? Maybe to hold a key or something to stop the transition to the mine?

Thanks!

I wish there was.... Just out of reach coal is just teasing us😁.      I've thrown a few dead torches down too near to the cave exits and now they're stuck there forever..

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

The coal at the entrance of the transition cave from FM to BI is gettable - at least two pieces of it are.  Back up into the cave entrance until you can look sideways at the coal, and you may be able to get a piece or two.  It's worth it, actually, as the forge is right there.

Yeah, I used to do it that way too. I was just hoping there is an easier way to do it

7 hours ago, bysinda said:

Didn't notice 🤔 but now that you said that ...hmm..

Try winding river or bleak....   I dropped some moose meat outside bleak ages ago and it was nowhere near the hitmark, now it's nearly right next to it...

It's not all the caves though..

• Upvote 1

If you're really lucky they'll spawn close enough to grab, but mainly this is an oversight on the devs part. That cave didn't used to link to anything, it was just a regular cave. Once HRV was added and that cave was chosen as the transition point, the coal spawns weren't properly addressed. They continue to spawn in unreachable locations in Survivor mode, although in Story mode the coal is fully accessible.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

The transition cave between Forlorn Muskeg and Bleak Inlet could use some re-evaluation at some point. Unlikely given the DLC and bug fixes they have to work out.  If the coal wasn't there at all, it would be nice to stop the frustration or if it spawned deeper in the cave that would work too.  

The Forlorn Muskeg end has the aforementioned problem with coal spawning beyond the point where they can be picked up.  I attach a screen shot showing the re-spawned coal after I had gotten the four or five that I could get excepting two beyond reach.  Now they are all beyond reach.  The cattail head is the point of furthest advance - the cursor still showed Leaving Forlorn Muskeg - and no further as I would then transition. I could not get the cursor to shift to the coal despite multiple attempts.  

At the Bleak Inlet end, I notice that heading into the cave, the beginning of the transition possible (you have to click the mouse to travel) starts maybe 50 feet outside the cave proper and is a zone (of course facing towards the cave, sometimes to the side) which ends just beyond the first turn in the cave entrance.  THEN there is where the game places you inside and if you turn and walk towards the exit of the cave back to Bleak Inlet, you walk a comparatively longish distance until you hit the transition to Bleak Inlet.  

Can still use the Bleak Inlet end of the cave for shelter if you aren't facing in or to the side so it is not all bad and facing outward allows for a campfire pretty close to the cave and the bedroll on the rocky floor.  It just gets irksome to turn to one side and have the interface interfere with moving things or being able to pick things up that you dropped on the cave entrance floor.  

But that's just me.  😅

20230920173453_1.jpg