Frontier Cooking Thoughts

45 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

OKay thats good to know but can you cook from ruined ingredients ? 

I'm not really sure...as I said earlier,I could use a ruined potato but not ruined bunny meat..   either could've been a bug though..

On a side note...if you eat anything in tiny portions you can avoid the side effects...

On 8/11/2023 at 10:41 AM, Leeanda said:

I'm not really sure...as I said earlier,I could use a ruined potato but not ruined bunny meat..   either could've been a bug though..

On a side note...if you eat anything in tiny portions you can avoid the side effects...

I just made my first pie - Preppers pie to check. It only needs one spoon of oil and some muchrooms, burdock and acorns. So i took a ruined bottle of oil and split it into one spoon and 14 spoons so that it doesnt despawn after usage like for ex. ruined antibiotics do if you have more than 2 on you. 

The pie was made no problem so i guess you can use the ruined ingredients but im not sure if for ex the whole bag of flour will despawn after using a tiny portion of it. Ill check that today maybe. 

On 8/16/2023 at 1:21 PM, BugReportEnthusiast said:

What could help with what @hozz1235 said in his original post would be splitting cooking ingredients like salt or flour into portions just like how cooking oil can be split into parts

That way you could take exactly as much salt and flour with you as you'd need to create the recipe you want to

Yes that would be great. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started a new Interloper run (no perks) recently and as soon as i leveld cooking a bit i started to cook some stuff and noticed a weird thing. I dont know if its a bug or its intended:

When i started using flour every recipe that i tried uses a multiple of 5 in terms of weight but when the bag started to end i noticed 0,1 grams was missing from the bag. Same with oats. The box contains 0,80 grams(?) and each portion needs 0,10 to make. Should be ok to make 8 portions of oats and the same thing happened while cooking - 0,1 went missing leaving 0.9 grams of oats making it impossible to cook the last portion. Is that intended ? i mean maybe i spilled some while cooking ? Or is that a bug ? anyone? 

26 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

I started a new Interloper run (no perks) recently and as soon as i leveld cooking a bit i started to cook some stuff and noticed a weird thing. I dont know if its a bug or its intended:

When i started using flour every recipe that i tried uses a multiple of 5 in terms of weight but when the bag started to end i noticed 0,1 grams was missing from the bag. Same with oats. The box contains 0,80 grams(?) and each portion needs 0,10 to make. Should be ok to make 8 portions of oats and the same thing happened while cooking - 0,1 went missing leaving 0.9 grams of oats making it impossible to cook the last portion. Is that intended ? i mean maybe i spilled some while cooking ? Or is that a bug ? anyone? 

I've had the same issue. My suspicion is that either there is a small amount "lost" each time you use the ingredient (perhaps when we measure stuff up we spill a bit or are just guessing), or it has something to do with rounding. Since the game allows you to chose either metric or imperial units, I don't know which one is the "base" unit for items. If conversions are involved then it makes sense they'd only display a certain number of decimal points, but the true weight would still be there.  For example if the box of oats shows 0.80kg, but is actually 0.79kg. That's my best guess. We should probably report it as a bug anyway, since it is confusing and annoying when you expect that you're going to get 8 serves of porridge from 0.8kg oats and you only get 7.

• Upvote 3

Observations and a question....

I've yet to find any tins of corn that are required for a few of the recipes - I am a 'slow' player, I don't rush-loot the maps, but still I've found reasonable amounts of all the other ingredients. Which brings me to the question....

I've noticed that potatoes in particular seem to degrade fairly quickly. To the point I think they might be ruined by the time I find any corn. Is the process any slower if you store them/leave them in the potatoe sacks or vegetable draws that they are often found in? - i.e. slower than storing them outside? Anyone tried this?

4 hours ago, past caring said:

Observations and a question....

I've yet to find any tins of corn that are required for a few of the recipes - I am a 'slow' player, I don't rush-loot the maps, but still I've found reasonable amounts of all the other ingredients. Which brings me to the question....

I've noticed that potatoes in particular seem to degrade fairly quickly. To the point I think they might be ruined by the time I find any corn. Is the process any slower if you store them/leave them in the potatoe sacks or vegetable draws that they are often found in? - i.e. slower than storing them outside? Anyone tried this?

No evidence here, but even if you find a 0% potato in it's original container, it should be okay to cook with.  Just don't pick it up and place it back in the container, afaik, it will then disappear.  I've been putting all my frontier ingredients on the outside porch of the Camp Office.

• 2 weeks later...

Frontier cooking needs a balance pass imo. Everything about it feels bizzare

The total amount of condition that recipes have seems to be inconsistent, the decay rate is really high, some recipes are just substantially worse than others, you can exploit the system by partially consuming ingredients, there are rounding errors..

It needs work, and i have no idea where it's supposed to fit in into the game. You can't haul ingredients around to cook while out and about, and you can't cook meals and store them at bases because they decay so much (until cooking 5.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been playing long, but one of the cooking questions I have is why isn’t there an option to DRY meat.  Make it so a player has to build a dry rack or something, then make it take days to dry (half of the drying time of guts or the skin of the animal you got the meat from) but the outcome being that the meat doesn’t smell.  Or add the option that the dried meat uses salt to dry.  Good idea or no?

On 9/30/2023 at 12:00 PM, MsHaarisGray said:

I have not been playing long, but one of the cooking questions I have is why isn’t there an option to DRY meat.  Make it so a player has to build a dry rack or something, then make it take days to dry (half of the drying time of guts or the skin of the animal you got the meat from) but the outcome being that the meat doesn’t smell.  Or add the option that the dried meat uses salt to dry.  Good idea or no?

That has been brought up many, many times :)  Welcome to the forums!