Thoughts on farming?

With the addition of carrots and potatoes, both cold-weather veggies, and the recent overhauls of established mechanics, I'm seeing a potential future of the game where a farming system is implemented. I'm not sure what my thoughts on farming would be, it would certainly be a fun mechanic to explore, but I worry it strays too far from the core of the game. What I really like about TLD is that it encourages a mostly nomadic playstyle rather than a craft-a-base-and-hunker-down playstyle like most survival games. I'm curious about your thoughts on if farming was implemented, and how you'd like to see it executed.

As @Leeanda said, this is a VERY hot topic.

But here’s my two rose hips anyway:

From a realism perspective, I doubt that vegetables could grow on Great Bear… carrots are supposedly the most cold-tolerant of all, and even they need at least 4C to have a chance.

But since we have rose hips, mushrooms, cattails, burdock, and acorns (which don’t regrow)… maybe, just maybe, we could find an indoor greenhouse that could be warmed by a low-and-slow fire, if that sort of thing is ever added. They would take weeks to reach full size… so they wouldn’t be worth the expense to keep them.

The verdict: not likely, not really feasible, and not very consistent with most of the other themes and mechanics of the game.

But a means to replenish carrots and ‘taters once they run out would be welcome 🙂.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

But a means to replenish carrots and ‘taters once they run out would be welcome

There is a mod which allows some items to be grown inside (no recent food items yet). 

Also, it is my hope the Trader will allow us to replenish the new food items.

Agree with @conanjaguar  

• Upvote 2

Not really related, but I did find this 9-year-old post of @Raphael van Lierop:

(Bold is my emphasis added, underlined italics are notes)

My goal with the sandbox (our goal, I should say) is to ensure there are enough self-replenishing resources that, if you survive long enough and develop the skill, you can extend your life more or less indefinitely provided you don't run afoul of the many, many different ways to die in the game. Beachcombing

A few things that will potentially help with this (planned but I can't promise when they will get in):

- deeper hunting system, with tracking & trapping Snares are about it so far…

- deeper "harvesting" system, for when you dress kill (improve chances of maximizing potential food value) Haven’t really seen this yet

- more types of wildlife (supports the above); more game that can be hunted/trapped & eaten Mission accomplished

- (potentially) ammo crafting Done

And of course, down the line we'll have NPC survivors in the world which will add another layer of unknowns, but potential resources as well (trade, kill & take their shit, etc.). More than one NPC?

Ugh there is not enough time in the day to do all the stuff we want to do. :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, conanjaguar said:

- more types of wildlife (supports the above); more game that can be hunted/trapped & eaten Mission accomplished

I was unsuccessful when I tried to snare ptarmigans. The snare description mentions 'small game' so I thought it was worth a go!

My thoughts have been well documented over the years:  

On 12/20/2019 at 6:43 PM, ManicManiac said:

"- make mushrooms and rose hips more scarce, but respawnable (like with birch bark)"

Things don't tend to grow in winter... so I think them "respawning" would be a bit non-sensical.  I think that the decisions to make them more or less finite was a good choice on the part of Hinterland.  It requires a player to take thoughtful and deliberate actions (which I think is part of the core and nature of the game).

On 6/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, ManicManiac said:

In terms of them re-growing... most plants are dormant during the winter, and Great Bear seems to be in a perpetual winter.

On 3/13/2020 at 6:25 PM, ManicManiac said:

As for plant cultivation... I'd imagine that would be rather difficult.  Most plants are dormant in the cold seasons, so I'm not sure how much I'd like to be able to "grow things" given the circumstances.  Considering the deep cold, I'd say it's reasonable that we can't farm or that wild plants don't "re-swpawn."  I like that aspect because it makes it important to be careful how we use the limited resources we find/forage. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Not a fan of the idea of farming... doesn't make much sense to me given the current state of the climate of Great Bear Island.
Also, I'm generally not often in favor of things that would only serve to make life easier for our survivor. :D 

• Upvote 3

As  much as i would like the cooking ingredients to be renewable i really dont think the idea of farming goes well with the core game. I was rather thinking about tasks that you could do to obtain those ingredients via trader. But how would the trader have the veggies anyway if he cant grow them. Now im thinking - canned vegetables ! When i was living in england i saw both carrots and potatoes canned. Maybe this is the solution. 

I like the idea of cooking - but i havent cooked a single thing yet :P I did haul all of the ingredient from every region except Bleak Inlet (going there today) to my main base and put it all on the shelves for presentation. Its not much really - when they implemented it i was in PV so i started to reloot the world from that place and i was amazed that there was quite a few of them in PV on interloper difficulty. Then they made a hotfix/update and suddenly in the rest of locations i found only a few. In Blackrock i didnt find a single ingredient and i looked every indoor place on the map - i would have thought i will find some in the prison or the power plant but not a single one. 

At this point i have on display in my main base:

Flour - 6 bags

Oil - 6 bottles

Oats - 4 tubes

Salt - 7 jars

Potatoes - 9 pieces

Carrots - 6 pieces

Burdock - 3 pieces (that amazes me i have found only 3 plants so far and i was in all of the regions except BI)

Skillet - 7 ! 

I dont think i will cook it now. I will w8 for trader update and if the trader will not offer the ingredients i will just leave them on display. 

• Upvote 1