The Long Dark Trader……who? And where? And what will they sell?

Was thinking about the trader that is meant to be coming and where they might be? If it will be an actual NPC or if it would be just a place where someone leaves help notices i.e I need venison I’ll trade for some flour etc please leave the venison at the signal tower near the fire barrel in two days. Etc etc.

I’m looking forward to it.

Thoughts my fellow survivors?

47 minutes ago, TwoFatCatz said:

Was thinking about the trader that is meant to be coming and where they might be? If it will be an actual NPC or if it would be just a place where someone leaves help notices i.e I need venison I’ll trade for some flour etc please leave the venison at the signal tower near the fire barrel in two days. Etc etc.

I’m looking forward to it.

Thoughts my fellow survivors?

I suspect the trader will be involved with the transmitter network the system was too much effort in implementation (my thought) across the island to just be tales and caches I think it will be a  situation where if you happen to be in the right region at the right time during and aurora or glimmer fog you’ll be able to pick up their signal and find them, this would make them on the rare side to maintain balance, the description says items and info so hopefully they’ll trade your skins tools Ect for the cooking ingredients, island lore(maybe secrets you can’t access without them) maybe even new skill lines, people have said the found gold  nuggets mine glitched so I hope that isn’t the currency 

I hope the trader is of the First Nations or another indigenous group it would be cool to need to learn to make the travios from them, and with above mentioned skill lines maybe we could see flint introduced as something we can use basic as fire start but learn knapping skill from them or other “primitive” technologies 

• Upvote 4

I expect that - at least eventually - there will be some sort of tie-in with story mode. 

The introduction of Foresaken Airfield has already revealed how story mode is going to end once Hinterland gets to it; Astrid and Will are eventually going to hook up, they'll repair a plane and fly off Great Bear. That much is clear.

Rather than introduce two entirely different mechanics with the additional work that entails, the trader will also fly into the Airfield with trade goods.

As for loot? As things stand I'm not sure that there's an awful lot I'm going to actually need. The one real game changer for me in the stuff that has so far been introduced with TFTFT is the Curator's Rifle - the stopping power with that version makes a significant difference and is well worth the additional weight. 

Maybe the Trader could fly in with a load of cages of ptarmigans that we can release in order to repopulate our custom saves? 😉 

Edited by past caring
typo
  • Upvote 2

I'm very excited for the Trader, hopefully it comes to fruition. 

The only thing I would need to work out in my head is the implications coming from a human being with means of getting goods to and from GBI. Does this mean I can also buy my ticket out of GBI and "retire" my character? Even Dick Proenneke left eventually.  

By "valuable information" I guess they're gonna tie the trader with the Signal Void supply caches, which would make a lot of sense and give you further reason to fix every transmitter. I honestly hope the trader is not super stocked at all times, having a rolling random inventory of goods to trade would be awesome. Can't wait to trade a cured moose hide for a potato. 😁

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dan_ said:

I'm very excited for the Trader, hopefully it comes to fruition. 

The only thing I would need to work out in my head is the implications coming from a human being with means of getting goods to and from GBI. Does this mean I can also buy my ticket out of GBI and "retire" my character? Even Dick Proenneke left eventually.  

By "valuable information" I guess they're gonna tie the trader with the Signal Void supply caches, which would make a lot of sense and give you further reason to fix every transmitter. I honestly hope the trader is not super stocked at all times, having a rolling random inventory of goods to trade would be awesome. Can't wait to trade a cured moose hide for a potato. 😁

I don’t think it means another outsider, we’ve only explored the southeastern corner of great bear(and not even all of it yet) with the far range added it’s branched out area to the mid island presumably there’s pockets of civilization further west and to the north and south of the range and airport, I also don’t think Will and Astrid’s story will visit the far range my money is Perseverance Mills is located north of mystery lake in the white mountains that all roads lead to 

• Upvote 1