¿ Memory Leak ?

dahemac

I have never had any performance issues with TLD before, no memory problems. Until like a week or two ago. Maybe since the last update…

I was playing and my frame rate dropped to near nothing and I started to get a warning popup saying an application (TLD) was using too much memory, something like 130Gb. I managed to save by entering a building then quit out of the game. The next time this happened a day or two later it was the same, only my machine thought TLD was using 124Gb. And at the time I was hunting a wounded bear. That was tense I can tell you.

So I started running TLD with Activity Monitor open on the other monitor and have discovered that while the game starts by using 1.7–1.8 Gb of memory, this steadily climbs until suddenly the game starts making the OS very upset. Weirdly the performance of the game does not seem affected until the computer starts insisting that I need to force quit TLD. I can play for something a bit less than an hour before I have to save and restart the game to reset the memory usage. Which is awkward since the game has no Save command.

I have been playing TLD since 2018, and only on this machine, sometimes for hours at a time. I have never encountered anything like this. I suspect this is what a memory leak looks like. Is it? Is anyone else having this problem?

I have reported it in the appropriate channels, but I have not gotten any response.

I have also experienced this, while running the linux version. About an hour in the perf tanks and if you keep playing long enough (usually while I'm trying to get to a save point) it'll CTD. 

Even worse, when I'm playing the windows version under linux using proton, it can take the entire machine down with it, necessitating a power cycle.

I should note that I have in fact submitted a couple of reports about this, and that the other games I run using the proton compatibility layer don't behave in this way, nor do the other linux native games that I have.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:04 PM, dahemac said:

I have never had any performance issues with TLD before, no memory problems. Until like a week or two ago. Maybe since the last update…

I was playing and my frame rate dropped to near nothing and I started to get a warning popup saying an application (TLD) was using too much memory, something like 130Gb. I managed to save by entering a building then quit out of the game. The next time this happened a day or two later it was the same, only my machine thought TLD was using 124Gb. And at the time I was hunting a wounded bear. That was tense I can tell you.

So I started running TLD with Activity Monitor open on the other monitor and have discovered that while the game starts by using 1.7–1.8 Gb of memory, this steadily climbs until suddenly the game starts making the OS very upset. Weirdly the performance of the game does not seem affected until the computer starts insisting that I need to force quit TLD. I can play for something a bit less than an hour before I have to save and restart the game to reset the memory usage. Which is awkward since the game has no Save command.

I have been playing TLD since 2018, and only on this machine, sometimes for hours at a time. I have never encountered anything like this. I suspect this is what a memory leak looks like. Is it? Is anyone else having this problem?

I have reported it in the appropriate channels, but I have not gotten any response.

Hi @dahemac. Can you please reach out to us via private message with the email you used to file your Support Ticket? We appreciate the opportunity to look into this further.  

9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Might be a good time to clean up the computer. Maybe back up all your important stuff and reinstall the OS, or do a factory reset if you have a recovery partition.

The computer is fine. I verified the OS installation, I verified the TLD installation. Everything is fine, except this new problem with this new TLD.

I have had this problem after update to basic game …( ( have not bought latest part yet ). First removed tens of gigabytes files of my hard drive , so that I have now 220 Gt free space of 500 Gt.

Before that removal I could play a bit over 1 h, after removal about 2 h.

Now this force quit hit me last weeek again after playing over 2 hours. ( I play usually under 2 hours at a time).

At good day I was able to play 2,5 h without notice…

I have same symptoms : warning popup says TDL uses too much memory ( between 120 to 130 Gb ) forcing to quit the game.

Does dahemac play with Mac, I do , and just wonder if this is a Mac problem only?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PorridgeBaron said:

Does dahemac play with Mac, I do , and just wonder if this is a Mac problem only?

Dahemac does play on a Mac. And thank you for confirming that this is indeed a problem with the TLD application that has been introduced recently with updates. Hopefully someone is trying to track down the leak and fix it.

Just now I would be ever so please if Hinterland put new-content development on a shelf and turned all their attention to cleaning up the bugs and errors.

A member of our Support team will be in touch shortly to discuss your issue. We are happy to investigate issues, but we do ask that comments remain respectful toward the team. 

Closing thread. 

• Admin locked this topic