Hushed River Valley

Finally an aurora! I found my first cache and something else!

Using the shortwave on yellow, I located a nice little cache. Trick is to follow the needle for direction and light for distance. Once you are over it, the second trick is to look at the snow and it will allow you to dig up the cache! Neat!! I got some pretty nice loot too! Box of rifle ammo, MRE, flares, marine flare, emergency stim. Put it on blue, and found two more signals, but they are above me on the ridge and am too tired to climb, so gotta wait for another aurora I guess. I do have coffee so may try to get up there, but not likely going to make it and don't want to get myself extended in this place with no man made shelters!

I am actually finding this place to be pretty nice, and I don't think I have ever been here in Survival mode! Today has been pretty epic already:

• Worried about running out of matches as I need to start a lot of fires, contemplating heading back to get a bunch and come back, which would be a bummer. Climbed up to a new area, enter cave, search dead guy, 95% striker. Cha-Ching!
  • Wanted to move to Lake Cave as my base before next aurora. Haul a bunch of wolf meat up to the other cave on that level and spend the night. Get up, go to the lake and snag 2 bunnies for later. Get lost, need sleep, find way back to cave, eat/drink/sleep.
  • Next day is sunny. Go to Monolith Lake. Moose between me and my cave! Climb up on rocks, take out Vaughn's: one shot head shot the moose! Stoked! Food for weeks AND I see a buck and doe to the side along with the rabbit spawn. Gonna be a good spot to hang for a while, I think!
  • Enter cave. Ravaged wolf, more food. Then I check the bag and find a Sewing Primer! This is the last skill I need to get to level 5 and I think the book will get me over the top as I am very close!!
  • So between the striker, moose, and primer this has been one of the luckiest days in this entire survival run. Now on to finish Signal Void, w00t!
  • Upvote 1

I thought I would hate it here, but I think I like it as much as TWM! There is a lot of loot here, the Signal Void quest is fun as it makes me get out of my rut and go places I would likely not go as I am a creature of habit. Found a wrecked plane in tonight's aurora...not much useful loot, but some clothes and running lowish on cloth so I will take that. Ran into a wolf in the ice cave, panicked a lil, but ended up taking him out without a scratch. Left him there for the return trip. I think I have explored nearly 75% of the map so far and have more loot than I can ever take back. Found a beer skin, which I never find AND a moose satchel! This place has more wood and coal than any other region, another reason to like it. Finally found the way over to the Signal Fire, lotsa loot there. Guessing I have 5-6 maples and more birches in various caves curing. Gonna be hard to pick what to take and what to leave, for sure. Will likely stick around for at least one or two more auroras, as well as map out the west side of the region. Still a little unsure how to get out of here, as I took an unorthodox entrance in (Yeah, I fell off a cliff, sorta, kinda).  It'll be fun figuring that out! 

• Upvote 1

HRVICECaveconnections.thumb.jpg.7d75bd9ec6369d5acd07644756044201.jpg

Speaking of HRV

Although this might be common knowledge to some, but I discovered that these three marked locations on my map are all part of a massive interconnected
ice tunnel system that basically allows you to transit a majority of the map fairly easily.  You do have to brave getting wet in the process at least once or twice to utilize one of the internal cross overs,  but you're easily able to make fire and dry yourself out in no time.    screen_1e90a12e-7e6e-4419-b626-9aee68e052b3_hi.thumb.png.f4c05584cf10ff48b92d6cdca04b113d.png

I even found some fresh meat as I made my way thru the interior passage ways.

And of course the icing on the cake is now with the signal void quest, there's also a new stocked bunker complete with workbench in HRV!  woo hoo!

Found a second cache which was ok loot, not as good as the first one. Also found another plane I cannot seem to find a way to...yet.

Walked right up on a bear which scared the heck out of me. I don't think he saw me, so I took off in the opposite direction and found a spot to hide. An a blizzard hit. Was able to keep a fire going one stick at a time until it cleared.

Ended up finding my way out, went to Milton for the night, dumped some of the loot, and went back for more. Hanging out in Valley Cave until I get time to play later tonight...

Have not found a bunker here...but still 25% of the map not explored and a lot more than that with the short wave...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

I only see two caves marked with an orange X

yes but there's actually a cave entrance behind the Reclusive Falls water fall where you can access the tunnel system!  It doesn't show up on the map as cave which is why I found it so surprising that I could enter and exit the cave system from that location. 

2 hours ago, xanna said:

Envious of you discovering all the delights of HRV for the first time

I've been pretty rigorous about doing all the exploring in TLD myself.  That means that, although I knew about the existence of a place called Hushed River Valley from forums, I had no idea where it was or what it looked like.  To find it behind a completely boring looking cave just blew my mind.  I was terrified to explore there for a long time because it's so confusing.  It's really, really engaging for anyone who wants to explore it for themselves.

The signal fire was one of my real "OMG no way" moments in gaming.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:35 PM, TonyInPleasantValley said:

I thought I would hate it here, but I think I like it as much as TWM! There is a lot of loot here, the Signal Void quest is fun as it makes me get out of my rut and go places I would likely not go as I am a creature of habit. Found a wrecked plane in tonight's aurora...not much useful loot, but some clothes and running lowish on cloth so I will take that. Ran into a wolf in the ice cave, panicked a lil, but ended up taking him out without a scratch. Left him there for the return trip. I think I have explored nearly 75% of the map so far and have more loot than I can ever take back. Found a beer skin, which I never find AND a moose satchel! This place has more wood and coal than any other region, another reason to like it. Finally found the way over to the Signal Fire, lotsa loot there. Guessing I have 5-6 maples and more birches in various caves curing. Gonna be hard to pick what to take and what to leave, for sure. Will likely stick around for at least one or two more auroras, as well as map out the west side of the region. Still a little unsure how to get out of here, as I took an unorthodox entrance in (Yeah, I fell off a cliff, sorta, kinda).  It'll be fun figuring that out! 

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Edited by hozz1235

On 4/14/2023 at 10:07 PM, piddy3825 said:

Speaking of HRV

Although this might be common knowledge to some, but I discovered that these three marked locations on my map are all part of a massive interconnected
ice tunnel system that basically allows you to transit a majority of the map fairly easily.  You do have to brave getting wet in the process at least once or twice to utilize one of the internal cross overs,  but you're easily able to make fire and dry yourself out in no time.    

The is another interconnected cave system as well.  I use spray paint extensively to mark the outside and inside of the complex so I know how to navigate to any tunnel exit in the game.  Makes travel a cinch!

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Hide contents

The is another interconnected cave system as well.  I use spray paint extensively to mark the outside and inside of the complex so I know how to navigate to any tunnel exit in the game.  Makes travel a cinch!

Thanks, for the reminder.  I just hadn't got to marking that out yet.  Any pics you'd like to share?

5 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I do the same thing. It leads to fun thoughts like 'Is the that nearer to the T-shirt cave or the danger cave?'

On 4/15/2023 at 12:07 AM, piddy3825 said:

HRVICECaveconnections.thumb.jpg.7d75bd9ec6369d5acd07644756044201.jpg

Speaking of HRV

ice tunnel system that basically allows you to transit a majority of the map fairly easily.  You do have to brave getting wet in the process at least once or twice to utilize one of the internal cross overs,  but you're easily able to make fire and dry yourself out in no time.    screen_1e90a12e-7e6e-4419-b626-9aee68e052b3_hi.thumb.png.f4c05584cf10ff48b92d6cdca04b113d.png

I even found some fresh meat as I made my way thru the interior passage ways.

And of course the icing on the cake is now with the signal void quest, there's also a new stocked bunker complete with workbench in HRV!  woo hoo!

I take off all clothing before crossing through waterfalls.  Keeps it from getting wet. Put it right back on after traversing.  
If it’s just a puddle, remove shoes and socks.  

6 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

I take off all clothing before crossing through waterfalls.  Keeps it from getting wet. Put it right back on after traversing.  
If it’s just a puddle, remove shoes and socks.  

Good advice for sure.
Fortunately, I found there is a sufficient amount of firewood, sticks and coal in the cave tunnel system so making a fire is always an option as well.