Aurora Bear Didn't Flee From Flaregun

Glflegolas

5 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

Hello folks,

In my latest playthrough, I shot the flaregun at a charging bear during the aurora. Didn't hit him and got mauled. Is this normal or bug? Generally bears flee from the sound of the flaregun shot.

The key word is: Aurora. Bears and Wolves don't flee with fire or flares during an Aurora. I believe the flashlight high beam can do that.

• Upvote 1

Ive had a few not run away from the flare gun like they used to. They just either ignore it completely or just stop ,turn and stare at me.  These are ordinary bears though but there's definitely something off with them post update.

• Upvote 1

I know normal flares don't work on wolves during the aurora, and that they never work on bears. I thought the flaregun scared everything every time though...

Looks like I will be wearing the ballistic vest when I'm searching for supply caches during the Aurora from now on!

• Upvote 1

I think there's some bug with this..   I've shot at both bear and moose since the update ,and even though I missed,just, they both tend to ignore it temporarily (maybe 10-15 seconds) then turn and flee.  In fact one bear just carried on walking toward it and only turned once it was almost on top of it. Then it just spun round and walked slowly off .  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I think there's some bug with this..   I've shot at both bear and moose since the update ,and even though I missed,just, they both tend to ignore it temporarily (maybe 10-15 seconds) then turn and flee.  In fact one bear just carried on walking toward it and only turned once it was almost on top of it. Then it just spun round and walked slowly off .  

It's always been somewhat variable.   Firstly, detection range settings plays a big role.  These may have shifted with the update (unsure at this point).  I've always also suspect that line of sight and wind direction also factor in, but that it's not exceptionally reliable.  I've had bears shot from the same distance on the same point on the maps behave differently (i.e. I've been attacked by some and others have fled even when I've used the same settings).  There really isn't a reliable way for me to test for "consistencies" though.

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It's always been somewhat variable.   Firstly, detection range settings plays a big role.  These may have shifted with the update (unsure at this point).  I've always also suspect that line of sight and wind direction also factor in, but that it's not exceptionally reliable.  I've had bears shot from the same distance on the same point on the maps behave differently (i.e. I've been attacked by some and others have fled even when I've used the same settings).  There really isn't a reliable way for me to test for "consistencies" though.

It's always been pretty much ok with me.. the bear I previously mentioned ,the flare was shot a few metres in front of it. I was actually trying to scare the bear and a wolf at the same time as they were very close. The wolf scarpered but the bear completed ignored it.  It was like it walked into a wall rather than noticed it..   that's never happened with me before. I know they can be a bit unpredictable but that just seemed very off to me..  

I have the same settings for fear etc now as I did pre update. 

Just now, Leeanda said:

It's always been pretty much ok with me.. the bear I previously mentioned ,the flare was shot a few metres in front of it. I was actually trying to scare the bear and a wolf at the same time as they were very close. The wolf scarpered but the bear completed ignored it.  It was like it walked into a wall rather than noticed it..   that's never happened with me before. I know they can be a bit unpredictable but that just seemed very off to me..  

I have the same settings for fear etc now as I did pre update. 

Some settings have likely been shifted... they seem to frequently try to tweak animal AI with each update.

6 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Some settings have likely been shifted... they seem to frequently try to tweak animal AI with each update.

Maybe . But I've only noticed bears changing since the update.  Overall they've been a bit buggy for a while pre update.