Beachcombing Part 2 - What have you found?

hozz1235

3 hours ago, Blizzard Walker said:

I have the boat at the same location just off Jackrabbit Island.  The problem is that the boat and the canoe underneath never despawns.  It has been present for about 300 in game days playing at Voyageur level.  Unfortunately even trying to enter the boat activates the thin ice mechanics - I don't care to get dunked trying to search the boat.

The boat only appeared the one time for me. Don’t remember how long it stayed for, i died shortly after lol. I think i got dunked too. Havent seen it since. My current run ive found at least 10 hatchets and 20+ arrows lol

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I have never beach combed. I'm aware that it exists but the old Long Dark player in me is still scared of falling through the ice and dying a very cold and lonely death because I'm basically a walking murphy's law at this point and that would be my luck 😅😂

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, PrincessAutumn said:

Honestly I have never beach combed. I'm aware that it exists but the old Long Dark player in me is still scared of falling through the ice and dying a very cold and lonely death because I'm basically a walking murphy's law at this point and that would be my luck 😅😂

It is not so hard how earlier and with the crampons you has more seconds, before you falling through the ice! But when you falling, you can easy warm up in a house...

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2024 at 11:00 PM, PrincessAutumn said:

PrincessAutumn, I commonly prowl the edge of the ice after every blizzard in CH.  Two types of loot: Type 1 are items that appear on the ice singly or in groups (over a stretch of say 10 paces) that appear about every 5 days without a blizzard in essentially the same locations.  On Voyageur the prized items are rifle cartridges, rifle shell casings, knives, hacksaws, quality tools, cloth, leather, saplings, flares, stims, MRE's, tooks and red longjohns  You can gather prodigious quantities of loot over a 100 days or so of diligent beach combing.  Type 2 are items found only after blizzards and despawn after 3-4 days.  These include fishing boats, canoes, trunks, suitcases, backpacks and filing cabinets.  All of these may contain valuable items including arrows, hatchets, revolver rounds, rifle rounds, sewing kits, matches, flares and various clothing items.  Some Type 2 locations are perfectly safe while others are surrounded by weak ice and are sure to get you dunked.

To deal with the locations where searching for loot will get you dunked I first (1) make a fire nearby, (2) get 1 or 2 teas warming up, (3) take off but do not drop clothing.  Rush to the location and loot till you fall in.  Once dunked in the cold water retreat to the fire, drink the teas, put back on all  clothing and retreat to an area where you can sleep for 12 hours.  In CH Jackrabbit Island house is ideal for recovery while the fishing hut between Jackrabbit and Misanthrope works well - the latter works best if you can make a fire in the pot belly stove.  After a few dunkings it becomes routine.

• Upvote 2