The Trapper's Bear vs Me (short story)

Robbiieeee

So I've had an interesting war with the Trapper's bear at ML. 

I decided to transport some unneccesary items over to the Trapper (The camp office is my base). On my way I bumped into the bear. I avoided him but be charged me and left me bruised. No matter. I escaped with my tail between my legs. He ruined my clothing though. So I've spent some time here, killing rabbits, deer and wolves to survive and cure some pelts. I decided to also attempt to kill Mr Grizzly. 

I have level 3 archery so unfortunately isn't great but I managed to pump 2 arrows into him. The first hit his foot. I tracked him. However second time round ... I also hit his foot. I lost him and so gave up. I was ambushed by a wolf that was waiting over a blind hill, so I killed it, took the meat and headed back. I was beginning to freeze and had no wood for a fire, so my plan was to gather some wood and cook the meat in the shed opposite the Trapper. I completely potato'd my brain and forgot I had 3 bars of scent so .. My Grizzly came to say hello. I was encumbered after logging the wood due to fatigue and so .. round 2 went to Mr Grizzly. I managed to escape back to the Trapper with the bear charging again for me at the dootstep. 

The next day, with clothing at 30% or less now I decided to have a crack at the bear as my hides were almost cured. I tried to cheese the kill on the ledge but again I just hit his foot and he ran. I now only had 2 arrows left with low condition on them. I didn't see him again for a while. 

Just now however, I was cooking the rest of my deer meat at the shed and crouched under the crouch area and Mr Grizzly came by again. He couldn't hit me, but he had me trapped. My clothing could not take another hit. I managed to find a spot to stand and I shot him in the head. He ran ofcourse, but as he did a blizzard began so I couldn't track him. It's now been a day in game since that event. I hope, Mr Grizzly, that you survived. I hope you are also injured from the multiple foot shots and the headshot. Don't die on me old boy. I need to know your okay as this poor soul needs your hide .. 

• Upvote 2

Just 2 tips:

1. Bleeding out: bear died without tracking it, if you wait some time: the time depends on archery skill and hit zone.

Known bug/feature?:  You can enter building or caves to waiting of bear die, but if you spend more than 2 hrs, then bear healed himself! So you should wait a short time insider to warm up, but reurarly go out !

2. Knowing when the bear died:  watch the log statistics. You can check the bear kill number after hit, and wait till bear died and killed bear number increased, now time to go to track it's body - or wait a better weather when crows show the exact place.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 1:43 PM, Jalos said:

Just 2 tips:

1. Bleeding out: bear died without tracking it, if you wait some time: the time depends on archery skill and hit zone.

Known bug/feature?:  You can enter building or caves to waiting of bear die, but if you spend more than 2 hrs, then bear healed himself! So you should wait a short time insider to warm up, but reurarly go out !

2. Knowing when the bear died:  watch the log statistics. You can check the bear kill number after hit, and wait till bear died and killed bear number increased, now time to go to track it's body - or wait a better weather when crows show the exact place.

Interestingly the stats say I killed him. Damn. I searched everywhere from the pond, to the logging site and even eastwards back towards the camp office. I listened for the crows, but only found the corpses I've already looted. 

I feel like I've reconstructed the relationship of Scipio and Hannibal with this bear; the numerous battles fought and lost on both sides that gave eachother their respect

Canadian bears are the polite ones. They bury themselves. Right now I shot one at Miners folly. Waited a little and it was dead. The problem was it was under the terrain. There was new flock of crows. And they were flying cca 2 meters above ground. So I supose, it was really deep under ground.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acada said:

Right now I shot one at Miners folly. Waited a little and it was dead. The problem was it was under the terrain. There was new flock of crows. And they were flying cca 2 meters above ground. So I supose, it was really deep under ground.

I had that happen to me twice there as well!

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

I one shot killed a bear in PV once, walked up to it, and ...could ... not ... interact with it! So annoying. I have killed some who bled out in their caves, so I now look there when I cannot find them. Just killed one last week on TWM in a blizzard on a trek back from CV at night...looked EVERYWHERE and never found him. He must of buried himself. I have seen wolves do this more than a few times as well.

15 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

I one shot killed a bear in PV once, walked up to it, and ...could ... not ... interact with it! So annoying. I have killed some who bled out in their caves, so I now look there when I cannot find them. Just killed one last week on TWM in a blizzard on a trek back from CV at night...looked EVERYWHERE and never found him. He must of buried himself. I have seen wolves do this more than a few times as well.

Wait animals can bury themselves in this game?? Also I checked his den, nothing but bones. I admitted defeat and moved on. Haven't seen him for a few days, presumably dead somewhere