I love the new Loot system! Thanks Hinterland!

I've been exploring Bleak Inlet on my Interloper, to get the cannery open for when im out of Whetstones and to get close to 100% exploration (im on 95% now, only area left is blackrock) and i have found and opened one of the new Momento Caches.

I have found a Cowichan AND a Fisher Pullover inside! On Interloper, this is absolutely amazing. I hope that was intended and not just a bug, because i just love getting the great cloths that usually have not been available on that difficulty, especially because those are so much better than thin wool sweaters and we dont get the item variants anyway. With those 2 Sweaters and the Climbing Socks i've found on a HRV Corpse, i have 3 Items that previously could not drop on Interloper.

Momento Caches are so much fun to collect, theyre truly a great Addition to the Game. Just wanted to say thanks for this amazing feature :)

Edited by Shadox
typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TFA303 said:

Ditto - But I mostly play Stalker, and I like the fact that I seem to be getting LESS loot. It makes things feel more reasonable and challenging. 

Yeah I have stalker loot settings and it seems to be less for some things and more for others. I am finding pots everywhere! Not so many rifles or pistols, or bullets.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I like the new loot too.  I have a hunting knife and fisherman's sweater in interloper and they're amazing.  One thing I had a really hard time with was socks.   After combing through almost the entire map, I've come up with three wool pair, one cotton pair, and the cotton pair I started with.

Is there an interloper sock crisis?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I like the new loot too.  I have a hunting knife and fisherman's sweater in interloper and they're amazing.  One thing I had a really hard time with was socks.   After combing through almost the entire map, I've come up with three wool pair, one cotton pair, and the cotton pair I started with.

Is there an interloper sock crisis?

Hmm, thats probably rng. I found like 5-6 Wool Socks, if not more. Also Climbing Socks from a Corpse in the HRV Ice Cave. Even the underwear has not been as sparse as in previous loper runs. Been a pretty lucky run so far, only thing i couldnd find is 1 single piece of the quality tools (and i got 98% exploration now, only blackrock is left) but i take what i got gladly over those. Even found a Revolver in another momento cache today in BR. Gotta love it more and more...

Since youre a Loper as well, i guess the only maps you have left unexplored are BI/Blackrock?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Shadox said:

Hmm, thats probably rng. I found like 5-6 Wool Socks, if not more. Also Climbing Socks from a Corpse in the HRV Ice Cave. Even the underwear has not been as sparse as in previous loper runs. Been a pretty lucky run so far, only thing i couldnd find is 1 single piece of the quality tools (and i got 98% exploration now, only blackrock is left) but i take what i got gladly over those. Even found a Revolver in another momento cache today in BR. Gotta love it more and more...

Since youre a Loper as well, i guess the only maps you have left unexplored are BI/Blackrock?

No, I'm at 100% exploration and have covered pretty much the entirety of every region.  Just (finally) finished faithful cartographer which was painful on interloper.

I would love to find a pair of climbing socks, but it seems unlikely at this point.  I may have gotten my hunting knife from the same corpse you mentioned, the one in the ice caves.

I never fully appreciated how good the "quality tools" are until I noticed they could be used for making arrows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

No, I'm at 100% exploration and have covered pretty much the entirety of every region.  Just (finally) finished faithful cartographer which was painful on interloper.

I would love to find a pair of climbing socks, but it seems unlikely at this point.  I may have gotten my hunting knife from the same corpse you mentioned, the one in the ice caves.

I never fully appreciated how good the "quality tools" are until I noticed they could be used for making arrows.

Ahh, thats unfortunate. Maybe youre lucky with the next region. Lets hope that the item condition will be as it would be in a new game. If the next region takes hundreds of days previously survived into account, chances are little that theres anything left that decays over time and not on use.

And yeah, quality tools are amazing. Arrows in 45 minutes instead of 1.5h/1.12h. Just uses up less of a day when theres more stuff to do.

Maybe we get cougar fur socks :P socks, pullovers or underwear would be amazing. Just another coat or normal pants would be a waste of potential

Edit: oh and congratz for the cartographer on loper! Thats something i plan to do as well, but in the ultra late game when i need more goals, heading for 1000+ days again. Around 200 now, next thing im gonna do is getting all those revolver skill books i used as base decoration and then heading for blackrock... with my 7 or 8 blue flares and 20 revolver shots.

Edited by Shadox
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I still have some memento caches to find.  Their contents seem unharmed by time.  I just got an MRE at 70-something percent and it's around day 420 now.

I think so as well! The fishers pullover was in 100% condition, cowichan 41%. After finding those two and a revolver in momentos, im definitely researching every map for them, lets see if we get more usually non-loper loot.

Did you find a weapon cleaning kit somewhere in your current run? Im 99.9% sure that i looted one somewhere, cant remember where, and did not pick it up because i didnt expect to find a gun. Revolver spawned in 34% condition so that would come in handy

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Shadox said:

I think so as well! The fishers pullover was in 100% condition, cowichan 41%. After finding those two and a revolver in momentos, im definitely researching every map for them, lets see if we get more usually non-loper loot.

Did you find a weapon cleaning kit somewhere in your current run? Im 99.9% sure that i looted one somewhere, cant remember where, and did not pick it up because i didnt expect to find a gun. Revolver spawned in 34% condition so that would come in handy

I definitely didn't find a cleaning kit.  I've been looking for one after finding the revolver in a memento cache.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I definitely didn't find a cleaning kit.  I've been looking for one after finding the revolver in a memento cache.

Ahh alright, thanks. Thats too bad, i kind of want to take it to Blackrock to make the timberwolfs a little less annoying, but 34% condition is too unreliable. Of course i could repair it at the Sawmill, but going there would probably cost me 1-2 blue flares again.. damn :D

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2023 at 4:05 PM, Sito said:

Yeah I have stalker loot settings and it seems to be less for some things and more for others. I am finding pots everywhere! Not so many rifles or pistols, or bullets.

I haven't found any guns either and I've been playing voyageur. Mind you I've been in the far territory most of the time.

10 hours ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

I haven't found any guns either and I've been playing voyageur. Mind you I've been in the far territory most of the time.

Another impression i got about this new loot system is that the loot seems to be spread around in the world. What one region lacks, another region has plenty. On my Voyager, i had to search 3 or 4 areas before finding the first hatchet. And there have been 4 alone in Bleak Inlet. On my Interloper, i didnt find any pullover on almost the entire Map. I did search everything except Blackrock, FA and BI in sweatshirts. Then i found 2 thin tool sweaters in FA terminal, right next to each other in the suitcases and the fisher/cowichan in BI momento. Also matches, there have been only 1 box in PV community center. But in TWM i found about 200 in total, even a box with 71 in it. I kinda like that system because it makes travelling around more important early in the game.

On 1/7/2023 at 6:01 AM, Shadox said:

I've been exploring Bleak Inlet on my Interloper, to get the cannery open for when im out of Whetstones and to get close to 100% exploration (im on 95% now, only area left is blackrock) and i have found and opened one of the new Momento Caches.

I have found a Cowichan AND a Fisher Pullover inside! On Interloper, this is absolutely amazing. I hope that was intended and not just a bug, because i just love getting the great cloths that usually have not been available on that difficulty, especially because those are so much better than thin wool sweaters and we dont get the item variants anyway. With those 2 Sweaters and the Climbing Socks i've found on a HRV Corpse, i have 3 Items that previously could not drop on Interloper.

Momento Caches are so much fun to collect, theyre truly a great Addition to the Game. Just wanted to say thanks for this amazing feature :)

Thank you for your feedback! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have had a bit of a hiatus on the game (due to irl commitments - lame excuse i know), and only recently started exploring Great Bear with the loot system refreshed back in December. But wanted to also express how much I LOVE IT! (playing on Stalker)
In short: the rebalancing of this system is a game changer (pun intended).

Rifles/their ammunition being so extremely rare made me have to rethink my entire approach to bears, and any area they inhabit. Saving the rifle only for moose, i turned back to arrows for bears, and (not sure if it is intended?) they do not any longer seem to bleed to death from a single arrow shot, keep coming back days later. having to kill them while running at me with my last arrow provided an entirely new thrill...
And I do completely agree with this change to have been needed (as historically we had a lot of rifles overall, then came the revolver, but some rebalancing between the two to more clearly separate their need and use is very much welcome)

Also, since what you find where became so random, every playthrough becomes very different, you do not just revisit the known locations your strategy being to decide on which order, but there are real differences in when you encounter which important tool. (in my current one I yet to have to find a storm lantern after dozens of days!)

Love the oak trees and looking for the acorns. I expected though some completely different functionality for them, as opposed to "coffee" though. Humans have used acorns for millennia for this irl. Namely, that they contain the tannin required from turning a hide to leather in a process called tanning... Maybe needing a bunch of them (10/20?) to cook for the required tannic acid, but then allowing to turn ordinary pelts to cured leather would have made an even more exciting feature...

The new beachcombing is also great! At first I found it weird, why I cannot drop my torch on those ships (just to switch to a new one), but later I realized the reason behind...;-)

I love the new clothes too, not only do they look great, but also have unique properties.

Moose became seemingly extint for me though..., but I'm still hoping to see one later, as even in "always" locations I do not seem to find them since.

All in all, thanks for this update, I am really really loving it, it has completely refreshed the entire game!
(must have been a huge undertaking considering all the various loot locations everywhere, so extra thanks for that...)

• Upvote 1

Random is random... I'll probably love it when I'm rolling 7's and not love it when all I'm rolling are snake eyes.  On one of my baseline medium test runs in single regions (this one in ML), I still haven't found a gun of any type and I'm still lacking any sort of winter jacket (first time in eons I've found absolutely no clothes in the camp office).  I have 4 lanterns though and 3 pairs of climbing socks.  On another test at the same level, I have 3 aviator's hats and a flight jacket.  It is going to make any sort of single-region challenge run more variable, which I'll love when I'm lucky and not love when I'm not lucky.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Random is random... I'll probably love it when I'm rolling 7's and not love it when all I'm rolling are snake eyes.  On one of my baseline medium test runs in single regions (this one in ML), I still haven't found a gun of any type and I'm still lacking any sort of winter jacket (first time in eons I've found absolutely no clothes in the camp office).  I have 4 lanterns though and 3 pairs of climbing socks.  On another test at the same level, I have 3 aviator's hats and a flight jacket.  It is going to make any sort of single-region challenge run more variable, which I'll love when I'm lucky and not love when I'm not lucky.

Its a matter of preference, but i do take randomness all the time against fixed loot tables. I never learned the loot table previously, because that makes exploring so extremely boring for me. If i know where stuff is, i almost lose the complete interest to get it and exploring doesnt feel as rewarding. While i have been very unlucky on pullovers when i started my first interloper after the loot table change, the first thin wool sweater i found was in FA, after looting everything except Blackrock. Usually, you got those after TWM summit at the latest. This can happen with more rng-ness, but its alot more interesting to hope for every container to find interesting stuff, and discover crucial items in very different and unexpected places on each run. It not only makes exploring alot more fun, but it also adds more replay value, because especially on interloper finding things like a bedroll or a hammer earlier than expected can quickly change your plans and/or paths.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Shadox said:

Its a matter of preference, but i do take randomness all the time against fixed loot tables. I never learned the loot table previously, because that makes exploring so extremely boring for me. If i know where stuff is, i almost lose the complete interest to get it and exploring doesnt feel as rewarding. While i have been very unlucky on pullovers when i started my first interloper after the loot table change, the first thin wool sweater i found was in FA, after looting everything except Blackrock. Usually, you got those after TWM summit at the latest. This can happen with more rng-ness, but its alot more interesting to hope for every container to find interesting stuff, and discover crucial items in very different and unexpected places on each run. It not only makes exploring alot more fun, but it also adds more replay value, because especially on interloper finding things like a bedroll or a hammer earlier than expected can quickly change your plans and/or paths.

I never learned them either,  although if one plays enough "starts" in different regions as I do, one does start to notice patterns.  I'm currently doing a "baseline resources low" start (started up about 30 minutes ago) with modified "empty container density" (so it should be just a little more generous than Loper in how much random loot I have).  I'm doing it in Mystery Lake only (which means I can't to to Forlorn Muskeg to forge, so no knife or hatchet ever).  So far, I have 2 aviator caps, 2 can openers, but no matches.  As I said, one-region challenges are definitely going to get more variable... and some days I'll love it and other days I'll curse it.  Of course, it is just my preference to do these one-region challenges instead of traversing the world to enjoy the "loot balance" HL scatters over all the regions.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I never learned them either,  although if one plays enough "starts" in different regions as I do, one does start to notice patterns.  I'm currently doing a "baseline resources low" start (started up about 30 minutes ago) with modified "empty container density" (so it should be just a little more generous than Loper in how much random loot I have).  I'm doing it in Mystery Lake only (which means I can't to to Forlorn Muskeg to forge, so no knife or hatchet ever).  So far, I have 2 aviator caps, 2 can openers, but no matches.  As I said, one-region challenges are definitely going to get more variable... and some days I'll love it and other days I'll curse it.  Of course, it is just my preference to do these one-region challenges instead of traversing the world to enjoy the "loot balance" HL scatters over all the regions.

Ahh, well i cant speak for those since i have never played that challenge. And i dont plan to, as i like every region except for broken railroad and i like the variety and wandering :) But yeah, i can see that rng-ness hits alot harder if you just roam 1 region instead of entire map

On 1/7/2023 at 7:01 AM, Shadox said:

I feel like this has to be oversight, rather than intentional. Maybe they messed up the loot tables on interloper difficulty. I've seen weapon repair kits and bullet casings that shouldn't spawn on interloper(low resource availability) , that being said maybe it is a good thing--some super rare finds could be fun on interloper. I think any change, which is the point of the expansion is welcome--variety is the spice of life.

Edited by Kain
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Shadox said:

Ahh, well i cant speak for those since i have never played that challenge. And i dont plan to, as i like every region except for broken railroad and i like the variety and wandering :) But yeah, i can see that rng-ness hits alot harder if you just roam 1 region instead of entire map

Yes it does... as an update, I now have 5 can openers and 1 box of matches... more can openers than I have found canned foods... I don't think this one is going to last long. 😀

Update - my "baseline resources = low" ML has now looted all of ML... I now have 8 can openers, 2 prybars, and 1 box of matches to survive in this zone.  No lantern, no other tools of any kind.  We'll give it a go, but having no hacksaw (i.e. no way at all to chop wood) sucks, but hey - if I can find enough sticks to spend hours in a fishing hut perhaps there is some life beyond stoning rabbits since the fish hook on the workbench in the camp office was still there and I can always scrap can openers to make more fish hooks. 😀  Only 12 matches though (correction 11 matches since I needed one to make torches to see to loot the dam)... his days are numbered.  On the bright side, I'm rockin' double aviator's caps and combat pants.

Edited by UpUpAway95

My theory is this: in the previous version multiple regions have been built up (lootwise) in a way, that if you start there, you could get pretty well established.
As the number of regions grew, having "everything everywhere" (almost) made it less and less of a challenge, and it "had to be fixed"...
I have not tested it at all, but I guess what @UpUpAway95 is trying is doing just that: probably not (m?)any regions are left, that could fully equip a player, unless very lucky. (In my 3 tries since the update there were always a couple of essentials missing wherever I started).

My update: after many many days without a storm lantern, on day 38 i found 3, within seconds from each other at the

Dam

May sound like a complaint, but actually i found this to be one of the "stories" coming out of this run - I'm really enjoying that the new randomness makes the walkthroughs much more unique, with different challenges to face.

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AdamvR said:

My theory is this: in the previous version multiple regions have been built up (lootwise) in a way, that if you start there, you could get pretty well established.
As the number of regions grew, having "everything everywhere" (almost) made it less and less of a challenge, and it "had to be fixed"...
I have not tested it at all, but I guess what @UpUpAway95 is trying is doing just that: probably not (m?)any regions are left, that could fully equip a player, unless very lucky. (In my 3 tries since the update there were always a couple of essentials missing wherever I started).

My update: after many many days without a storm lantern, on day 38 i found 3, within seconds from each other at the

Reveal hidden contents

Dam

May sound like a complaint, but actually i found this to be one of the "stories" coming out of this run - I'm really enjoying that the new randomness makes the walkthroughs much more unique, with different challenges to face.

Oh, I'm not complaining at all... when I say it will make my one-region challenges (where I restrict my activities to the zone in which I've spawned) more variable, I mean just that.  Each run is going to be wildly different from the previous ones in that zone regardless of the difficulty because of the randomness of what can spawn there and, more importantly, what doesn't.  That is more challenging than in the past... and more fun.  It is sometimes going to be a little frustrating perhaps, but still more fun... variety is the spice of life.

• Upvote 1