Craftable Firelog

Drakias

So as I hit fire starting level 3 and start dropping tinder plugs and cattails because they have no purpose I was trying to brainstorm how to make them useful again once you hit higher level fire starting. My idea is to make a recipe that uses them to craft firelogs. The recipe could use fishing line, tinder plugs, and a workbench to condense down the tinder plugs into a firelog.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

If I recall, there actually was a mod that allowed you to use tinder as fuel (albeit it was a small amount of fire time).

I would be fine with this as well, Even if it was only a minute or two each. I would rather not use mods though to enable this.

1 hour ago, Drakias said:

I was trying to brainstorm how to make them useful again once you hit higher level fire starting.

The devs could also make tinder responsible for 40% of your firestarting success, so that once you don't have to use it, you'd still be incentivized to do so.

• Upvote 1

I'll use it if I have it to hand, but it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity for tinder plugs to just be essentially useless after we attain Fire Starting Lv. 3.

This one goes back to one of my earlier posts (and one of the very few times, I've submitted wishlist ideas):  

On 11/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, ManicManiac said:

- Items usable as tinder should provide at least some kind of bonus for starting fires (even if only a small one), it only makes sense...  Otherwise it's a completely wasted resource after your get your fire starting skill to level 3.  In a game like this, nothing should be useless.  Right now, after level 3 tinder is only good for filling the pockets of corpses. :P

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'd probably word it differently these days, but I still stand by the idea. 🤭

• Upvote 2

I still use tinder plugs though not religiously.  I still carry ten of them and use them generally for "serious" fires not my trail-marking campfires.  All for the roleplay.  

I used to use them for trail markers, on occasion, but with Lost and Found sweeping up ALL of my trailmarkers - charcoal, cattail heads, tinder plugs - I gave up on that mostly and resort to campfires which remain immobile though they sometimes slowly sink into beneath the snow. 

• Upvote 1

Well, in the description of the firelog, it says that it is made of condensed wood shavings and chemicals. I suppose that we could add gunpowder and hair spray to the crafting recipe? 

Speaking of hair spray, that takes me back to The Forest. It would be fun to run around and burn whatever wolves got in your way :D.

And, @UTC-10… you can move campfires?

No they sink into the snow.  I have had a few campfires (over time so not in front of me) sink down until only a tiny nub of it would be visible and that would allow a fire to be lit but because the cooking surfaces were under the snow nothing could be cooked.  

These are from a few years ago.  Taken in the baseyard of Carter Hydro dam.  The spot was a nice mostly wind-protected spot. 

20180825190449_1.jpg

20181205213049_1.jpg

42 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Do they? Can't say I've seen one disappearing. And I'm still on pre update,sadly!   I want my new area!!!!

And that’s why I couldn’t wait for the switch and just purchased the Steam version! 😀😅

@UTC-10 Perhaps it’s an intended design over time to simulate increased snow accumulation?

@Drakias How about making it a craft-able Swedish Torch? 3-4 pieces of cedar or fir, fishing line, and 2 plugs. 

Edited by Semple Fi
Misspelling
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

And that’s why I couldn’t wait for the switch and just purchased the Stream version! 😀😅

@UTC-10 Perhaps it’s an intended design over time to simulate increased snow accumulation?

@Drakias How about making it a craft-able Swedish Torch? 3-4 pieces of cedar or fir, fishing line, and 2 plugs. 

Well hopefully all the bugs will be sorted by then.. until the Xbox specific ones kick in anyway😁

2 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I remember one of the updates where they did some pretty significant landscape changes - there were floating sticks everywhere!

That sounds like my kind of bug!  🙂

Talking of sticks,has the disappearing bug been fixed in the update? 

maybe just increase the necessary level that achieves "making fire without tinder" from level 3 to 4 or even 5? level 3 is reached pretty fast, so this could at least keep tinder a bit longer into the list of needed items for our survival games

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Honest said:

maybe just increase the necessary level that achieves "making fire without tinder" from level 3 to 4 or even 5? level 3 is reached pretty fast, so this could at least keep tinder a bit longer into the list of needed items for our survival games

That's a good point. And if you have the badge as well you can already start at level three.   Personally I can't see the point of using that though so maybe a change to it would be an idea?