Thoughts on the audio

I have a general opinion about the new sound, that it is over-compressed and that the release is too long. It may also be a slope issue. Mismatches between attack and release often create this kind of artifact. This is a major way that affects the ambiance, feel and depth of a game as well as the transition between different sounds. Punchy yes, Natural dying world sounds, not so much. The long dark is not an in-your-face shooter. Things a half mile away should not sound like they are 5 yards away unless you are in a valley. The high compression does instill fear, properly done that could be good. Its not what the game is all about though. High compression is also fatiguing taking away from the replayability that we so love.

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2023 at 12:22 AM, Admin said:

Thank you for sharing. We're currently investigating some reports where sound does not seem to be working as intended. If you are experiencing any specific (or continued) issues, please don't hesitate to reach out with more information via our Support Portal

Not a long dark specific issue exactly, possibly a unity-specific issue that I've had when running unity-based games on linux, is extreme stereo separation - for an example, standing next to a waterfall, if it's exactly to my left there's a roaring loud sound on the left and nil on the right channel. Also, sound sources precisely behind are nearly inaudible.  Although useful for locating the source of a sound in-game, this is obviously not how it's supposed to be. Any idea if there's a known remedy for this?

On 1/27/2023 at 10:06 AM, kurja said:

Not a long dark specific issue exactly, possibly a unity-specific issue that I've had when running unity-based games on linux, is extreme stereo separation - for an example, standing next to a waterfall, if it's exactly to my left there's a roaring loud sound on the left and nil on the right channel. Also, sound sources precisely behind are nearly inaudible.  Although useful for locating the source of a sound in-game, this is obviously not how it's supposed to be. Any idea if there's a known remedy for this?

Thank you for reaching out. Are you able to provide the location(s) for where you are experiencing this issue? We're happy to look into this for you, and we appreciate any additional information you can provide. Thank you! 

On 12/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, Kranium said:

I know some folks don't like how loud some of the sounds are, but in all honesty that's pretty much what it's actually like IRL. Try spending the night on our hunt camp (2 old cabins in the remote wilderness) during a big storm - this game has nothing on that experience! Same with waterfalls. News flash: big ones (esp. if they are plunging onto exposed rock, like in the game) are freakin' LOUD.

The only actual issue is the transitions. It's like there's no gradient. That's not good at all.

The problem I have with the wind in Interloper is its not a big storm, the wind should not be overwhelmingly loud at all times.  Its loud enough you can't hear the waterfalls. :D They do also need to fine tune how some of the water sounds get delivered.  Yes waterfalls are loud, but the dynamics are weird, like its actually louder down a canyon in another portion of the map than it is right on the waterfall.  And there's a section where you have several large obstacles between you and water and yet the water sound is overwhelming, but when you're next to the running water its fine.  Things like that.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:39 PM, Admin said:

Thank you for reaching out. Are you able to provide the location(s) for where you are experiencing this issue? We're happy to look into this for you, and we appreciate any additional information you can provide. Thank you! 

It's a universal thing, be it any animal, waterfalls, happens with all directional sound, so it's not an issue about any particular location within the game. Same thing happens in other unity games I've played.

Here's some information about my pc:

/proc/asound/cards

0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xfe700000 irq 39

and from lspci -v | grep -i audio

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller

kernel 5.4.0-137-generic

On 2/2/2023 at 12:28 PM, kurja said:

It's a universal thing, be it any animal, waterfalls, happens with all directional sound, so it's not an issue about any particular location within the game. Same thing happens in other unity games I've played.

Here's some information about my pc:

/proc/asound/cards

0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xfe700000 irq 39

and from lspci -v | grep -i audio

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller

kernel 5.4.0-137-generic

Thank you for this helpful information. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Am I the only one getting a SUPER LOUD sound when approaching the snow shelter on Drift Island? It's like a 300 kg backpack being dropped off a sky scraper. Jump scare type stuff. Gets me every time.

I've gotten random noises like that too, not sure if it is only there. It sounds like snow dropping from a tree, but loud. The audio seems a bit off since the dlc.

1 hour ago, Jotunheim said:

I've gotten random noises like that too, not sure if it is only there. It sounds like snow dropping from a tree, but loud. The audio seems a bit off since the dlc.

I've gotten that with most snow-shelters.  Supposedly, they fixed some audio issues with the last hotfix.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 5:44 PM, PilgrimReaper said:

Am I the only one getting a SUPER LOUD sound when approaching the snow shelter on Drift Island? It's like a 300 kg backpack being dropped off a sky scraper. Jump scare type stuff. Gets me every time.

Exactly why I searched and read through this discussion. The first time I heard it I could not tell if it came from the game, or a lightning stroke my neighbour's house. The second time I was sure it came from the game. Whichever direction I'm approaching that area from, I hear this sound, so it seems to be programmed into the area.
I've been wondering if it had any purpose other than scaring me to death every time - in which it succeeds splendidly.
(In general, I loved the new sounds, some are super scary, like walking next to anything industrial, e.g. the derailed traincars in FM)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

Exactly why I searched and read through this discussion. The first time I heard it I could not tell if it came from the game, or a lightning stroke my neighbour's house. The second time I was sure it came from the game. Whichever direction I'm approaching that area from, I hear this sound, so it seems to be programmed into the area.
I've been wondering if it had any purpose other than scaring me to death every time - in which it succeeds splendidly.
(In general, I loved the new sounds, some are super scary, like walking next to anything industrial, e.g. the derailed traincars in FM)

I think it's snow shelter related, it's happened to me in another region as well. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe I could not explain well enough, I was only referring to the snow shelter in that location to seem unbreakable to me.
I harvested it 3-4 times, and it was still there.
After a reload, and one more harvest it was gone, and the sound also disappeared, so it indeed might be connected to it.
It's weird to me though, cannot guess what would HL want to represent with such a horrid noise around snow shelters...