Power went out...

ajb1978

On 12/14/2022 at 2:33 AM, Leeanda said:

That's what I thought!   Slightly safer in a power cut though. 

Then I thought ..at least he won't need to drink the water out the toilet.🙂

Well that depends; is it tank water, or bowl water?

All I know is the tankless toilets in Carter Dam must have a funny aftertaste….

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I would've thought that psychologicallly it all leaves a funny aftertaste😊

Probably, but I feel like in real life I would be more inclined to empty the water from the holding tank and not think twice, but….. a toilet bowl always smells like a toilet bowl 🤢

8 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

Probably, but I feel like in real life I would be more inclined to empty the water from the holding tank and not think twice, but….. a toilet bowl always smells like a toilet bowl 🤢

That's true. But I'd still be wary of the tank too. I know there are cleaning products that can be put in the tanks and left in them.  

I think I'd try the taps first just to check there's nothing left in the pipes that haven't frozen over,if any.    

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

That's true. But I'd still be wary of the tank too. I know there are cleaning products that can be put in the tanks and left in them.  

I think I'd try the taps first just to check there's nothing left in the pipes that haven't frozen over,if any.    

image.jpeg.451dd1e2bcdc0b3b6df09fd48d40a149.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Kerosene heaters are totally fine for indoor use, it's what basically everyone in Japan uses during the winter. It does give off an odor, but I mean it's not like running a diesel engine indoors or anything. It's got safety features like instant shutoff if it tips and stuff, and I have a carbon monoxide detector just to be safe.

I know a guy who doesn't even put the metal safety cage on his. He just has it permanently set up in his home office, and when it's running he leaves a kettle directly on it to add humidity to the room, and also so he has hot water for tea on demand.  But for me this is just a backup, so I attached the cage/handle assembly so I can store it away again when the power came back.

Manuals always err on the side of caution and tell you not to do all sorts of things that are, really, 100% perfectly fine. But some guy somewhere did something stupid, and now they have to put in the manual "do not attempt to use this heater underwater" or something.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

The one disadvantage of kerosene heaters is that they can result in a lot of condensation, as burning any fuel releases water. If your house is very dry, however, that might mean you don't have to run a humidifier.

Oh totally, in the winter that's actually an advantage of kerosene heat. You do have to make sure that your kerosene source is reliable and K1 grade. Underground pumps if they're not well maintained can introduce moisture seepage from the ground, which dilutes and compromises the fuel. The official stance is to buy prepackaged kerosene for heaters, unless you really trust your source. I'm fortunate enough to have a reliable distributor so I have the advantages of low-cost fuel pump, and high purity. Cleanest kerosene you can get from a pump. It's actually cheaper to heat my place with kerosene than the electric baseboards, but I don't like the smell lol.

(Edit: Actually I do but only in small amounts. I run kerosene lanterns like some people burn candles. But the heater? Too much.)

Edited by ajb1978

On 12/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, Leeanda said:

Lol😁.   Why can't we get seats like that over here!  🙂

If the toilets on great bear looked that clean I'd be less  reluctant to drink the water.  

How about this one 🤣🤣

Face cheeks of course…

because we all know that this is an improvised water fountain!image.jpeg.1c3b8c984524b28c9de52cda2b0a0d0d.jpeg

Edited by Semple Fi
Bad internet
  • Upvote 1