My attempt at making a shotgun viable, because people keep asking for it (why?)

JackTrysGames

4 hours ago, JackTrysGames said:

Time capsule's right there.

I don't play on PC... but  yeah, kind of my own "enforced" time capsule.  As I said, I honestly don't object to anything anymore... as long as HL gives me the option to switch it off in custom.  The shotgun doesn't need a long dissertation to justify it.  Some people want it, and that's enough.  Some people don't, and that should be enough reason to provide the option to switch it off... in any difficulty level.

More importantly, I like the pistol the way it is.  Why should HL have to mess with the "bleed out" just to acommodate a shotgun.  You have the option to turn pistol spawns off already.

Edited by UpUpAway95

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

More importantly, I like the pistol the way it is.  Why should HL have to mess with the "bleed out" just to acommodate a shotgun.  You have the option to turn pistol spawns off already.

I was talking about the distress pistol, not the revolver. There's no reason a flare gun would bleed an animal dry that quickly compared to a .303 rifle. Also, since when could you turn off distress pistol spawns?

46 minutes ago, JackTrysGames said:

I was talking about the distress pistol, not the revolver. There's no reason a flare gun would bleed an animal dry that quickly compared to a bleeped .303 rifle. Also, since when could you turn off distress pistol spawns?

Yeah, I misread that... but rather than suggest they mess with bleed out at all, why not just add the ability to turn them off as well (just like any other gun in the game).  Messing with the distress pistol's power would affect interloper and other "gunless" difficulties across the board and perhaps the early developed challenges (like The Hunted)... regardless of whether or not you think it makes sense.  Whereas, adding an option to turn it off only affects individual players in their own runs according to their personal choices.

If you need a "standard" difficulty, why not make a separate "big game hunter" one - where the only gun that spawns is the shotgun, the bear and moose spawns are dialed up to 11 and the deer are so skitterish and can detect you a such long ranges that it's actually a challenge to take on down with the shotgun.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, JackTrysGames said:

I was talking about the distress pistol, not the revolver. There's no reason a flare gun would bleed an animal dry that quickly compared to a fucking .303 rifle. Also, since when could you turn off distress pistol spawns?

Calm down, please… there’s no need for profanity here. You have some good points, but you are more likely to make people angry than to agree with you, thus canceling out whatever good points you may have had.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JackTrysGames said:

And if any of the three charge at you, and you don't have a shelter nearby or an ultra-rare distress pistol in your holster, you're done for. Run over. Return to menu, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

On 9/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, SpanishMoss said:

That's definitely not true. I've deterred a charging bear with a revolver, outright killed a charging moose with both a revolver and a bow, and also killed a charging bear on several occasions with a bow.

The time I killed the moose with the revolver was super special; I was on the bridge in DP when it charged me. Dropped it like ten feet away from me.

Deterring the bear took me hip-shotting with the revolver until it was empty, but ... it worked, which was good because my back was against the cliff at Foreman's and I didn't have anyplace to run that was going to work.

Edited by stratvox
deets
  • Upvote 1

There have been many great ideas here, like ruining pelts and needing a sling be abled to carry it. 

I think the shotgun would just be an alternative for the rifle, with the addition of weapon variants in the dlc.

If the shotgun kicks like a mule, like it has been stated before, it would be hard to use by an inexperienced shooter. So the Shotgun would be used effectively only when you are at a certain skill level. There probably shouldn't be a seperate skill for the shotgun as shooting it would very similiar to the rifle, so they would use the same skill. Altough if the shotguns purpose is to make avoiding bears and moose easier for beginners, maybe thats not so good of an idea. Maybe like have it a bare minimum of one rifle skill level.

If used at insufficient skill level, maybe something will happend for example: pain, a bruise or a sprain, or maybe the shotgun will be dropped on the ground and perhaps get damaged.

it would also give more purpose to the workshops at Bleak inlet and blackrock. I believe shotgun shells are the easiest ammo to make and reuse if i'm not totally wrong. 

Also the slings are a great idea in my opinion. They could be found or improvised, as I think the crafting system or rather just the amount of craftable items is a little lacking. Good spawning locations would for example be watchtowers or blackrock. Perhaps the rifle or shotgun would be equipped a lot slower without a sling, maybe making the revolver more balanced at the same time. I'm guessing without a sling the rifle is strapped to the players bag maybe, so with a sling, running would be slightly limited as you now have a rifle flinging around, but that's a little far fetched. A scabbard on the other hand removes this downside while being a heavier and a little slower to equip your weapon with.

I don't know if they can be attached to your gun or equipped on your special clothing slot. Either way, they could have a condition that decreases overtime or if you take a hit like clothing does. When the sling is ruined, it will snap and the rifle may be dropped to the ground. I'm guessing a ruined sling can be repaired as it is as simple as sewing the detached point together, and maybe add some leather to that to balance things out.

Either way, it is very likely that the devs won't not add a shotgun to the game. But I beleave that it could totally be balanced out to be viable to the gameplay, especially with all of the great ideas that have been made in this topic combined.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...