Trusty Matches

nicko

Why do these matches weigh so much? are they made out of fir wood or something? 96 matches even weigh more than 6 cans of fire starter? wtf?

We use redhead matches in Australia, this box of 90 matches weighs about 25 grams. https://www.redheads.com.au/products/p/redheads-handypack-matches

So yeah weight should be around 0.08 KG not 0.80 KG ??

matches-weight01.jpg

Edited by nicko

1 hour ago, SpanishMoss said:

They're premium steel-core matches that never break (joke)

ha maybe, either way i have submitted this to their support portal. Maybe it needs tweaking/fixing.

I also submitted another bug trying to place an axe on the work bench at TWM hut seems to be an issue still.

Edited by nicko

Perhaps the cardboard matches weight is closer to reality then. The weight system is realistic to some degree, some aspects of it are off. From your screenshot alone I'd say the looking glass, firestriker and reclaimed wood all weigh less than the average item of its kind.

Item weights are determined by gameplay value, rather than by resemblance to reality. In the early game the boost given to starting fires by the wood matches are what make them weigh more, not their weight in what we laughingly call "reality" (what is this "gainful employment" bull and why do I have to go?).

It's there to make you pick a tradeoff between the weight plus the higher fire start chance. This doesn't matter so much at the lower difficulty settings but as you go up (or down, depending on your POV ;)) the food chain towards interloper it starts to matter a lot more.

Guest jeffpeng
On 4/18/2022 at 3:16 PM, stratvox said:

as you go up (or down, depending on your POV ;)) the food chain towards interloper

This is actually very accurate. Starting Pilgrim it's basically "I'm here to eat things." Reaching Interloper (especially the Interloper of old ... jesus, how did people do that?) : "I am food. Sorry for not bringing any dressing."

On topic ....

I've made the argument against pinning game rules on realism several time. However: this one is even reasonably close. Come again when you experienced the joy of having 1000 individual rose hips.