Could your character survive 10,000 days......assuming you had the patience to try?

Blizzard Walker

At 1500+ days on Voyageur I have settled into a routine of systematically looting/harvesting resources and concentrating them at key locations.  These are ML Camp Office, ML Trappers, Ravine Cave, PV Farmhouse, PV T. Crossing, CH Fishing Village and TWM Mountaineer's Hut. Apart from more lightly provisioned way points between regions I don't expect to ever return to 90% of the terrain I explored as part of the initial looting/harvesting.

By far the easiest spot to survive, assuming your goal is just to survive, is the Fishing Village cabins in Coastal Highway.  Wood is reasonably abundant even after you break up all the pallets.  The nearby fishing hut provides fish and oil.  With Fishing skill 5 fishing gear just does not break.  Bears walking through camp can be a hazard but the inaccessible cliff shelf just across the road is the easiest spot I have ever used to hunt bear.  One arrow is enough to kill the bear. It walks right under the cliff; if it sees you the wounded bear will simply thrash around at the base of the cliff till it bleeds out.  Similarly, the same cliff makes it easy to lure in and ambush the wolf that patrols the dock with raw meat and stones. Clearing both the wolf and bear allows 5-7 days of predator free beach combing in the stretch of coast from the mouth of Bear Creek to the far end of Jackrabbit Island. 

Killing the respawned Bear Creek bear every 15-17 days provides abundant food and a surplus of bear hides. The hacksaw and the tools to repair the hacksaw only require metal.  Once CH metal is consumed it is a short run to the Carter Dam where 100+ pieces of metal can be harvested. Relying on the hacksaw greatly reduces knife and hatchet wear.

Staying put at the CH Fishing Village and hunting only the twice monthly bear might reduce arrow loss to one per month.  Since I have 50 arrows and 156 arrow shafts I should only run out of arrows in 6,180 days.  Beach combing should extend that period by finding birch saplings.  The 400 revolver and rifle rounds I set aside, if used only for one shot bear kills, could take me another 6,000 days. Of all regions CH may have the most available cloth as I have set aside 300 pieces of cloth just in that region.

I don't see any reason a Long Dark character, at least on Voyageur, could not live 10,000 days unless bad luck, mistakes or boredom ends the run.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
missing word
  • Upvote 2

The character can survive forever in game.  All the animals respawn as well as birch bark, stones, and sticks.  Numerous other items (including scrap metal, saplings, cloth and matches) also wash up on the beaches (that is, they actually respawn, albeit in small quantities).  You don't even need weapons to kill animal for food and clothing - that is, wolves will kill rabbits and deer for you and, as long as you have a means of scaring a wolf off of its kill, you can harvest it for yourself.  Harvesting can be done with your bare hands.

What kills are player mistakes and panic... and boredom (i.e. deliberately collapsing a file in order to start over for the thrill of it... since the most challenging part of the game is right at the beginning).

The character even has an huge advantage over his/her human player - He/she doesn't age and can't get a terminal illness.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

There was actually a player who survived 10,000 days in game.  Don't remember the name as it was a few years ago.  At the time when it was announced he had 
achieved this landmark, there was some talk about Hinterland creating a special award for the guy in comemoration of his landmark achievement.

@Blizzard Walker, I think you could probably use the search feature and find the pertinent discussion thread if you are interested in reading more about it.

But yeah, you're right, there is no reason why a player could not survive that long provided they managed their resources with longevity in mind.  I think  most players quit their runs after having explored and looted the majority of the island.  Boredom with putting in the hours of gameplay necessary to survive that long probably being the single primary reason why players abandon their games and start a new run.  Kudo's to you for surviving 1500+ days, btw!

• Upvote 1

I think the longest run I know of was a player who (at the time of posting) had survived more than 10 in-game years on Interloper... not quite 10,000 days (not even half way) :D ...but I think that if one can survive 10 game-years on Interloper, then I'd think 10,000 days is certainly achievable as long as the survivor is dedicated and vigilant.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Reference  

On 11/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, ManicManiac said:

If anyone knows Osman - I'd love to hear about their adventure :)
(Posted almost two years ago) This person managed to survive at least 10 in-game years on an Interloper run... (could be still going for all we know)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/1795152172938512542/

This is the longest run I've seen.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peteloud said:

There was another guy who claimed to have had 50 Interloper games of over 1,000 days.  When I questioned him about it he sent me a threatening message.

In my best Eric Cartman voice, "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY AUTHORITY"

Sounds to me you called this guy out on his b.s.  and he got his panites all tied in a knot over it.    

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

The link to Osman's 10 year run on Loper is truly impressive.  Should I last that long on Voyageur I will make it a point to harvest every Cattail, Old Mans Beard, Rose Hip and Reishi Mushroom in order to in every region so that charcoal mapping shows none remaining at all.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
Should be Voyageur and Interloper
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, peteloud said:

What does that mean?  I only speak English.

Flex is a slang term meaning “to show off,” whether it be your physique, your belongings, or some other thing you consider superior to those of others.  

The act of flexing is often criticized as a power move, considered arrogant and insincere.

So a Weird Flex is a snarky, mocking internet slang response to when someone brags about something deemed unusual, bizarre, baffling, or questionable.
Like a boast about owning a zebra or spending $1000 at Starbucks or something equally unbelievable or stupid.

Like others said, it's possible. Personally, I can't do it, as I tend to get bored after day 100 or so. Around that point, you can play perpetually if you keep to the right routine & play it safe, but...

I also just realized a week or two ago that I only had 1 achievement left: the 500 day challenge. I guess I haven't done 1 run that far yet, because I keep getting bored & starting over. So now I've started grinding along on an old 250+ day Interloper save to get it finally. *sigh* LOL

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kranium said:

I also just realized a week or two ago that I only had 1 achievement left: the 500 day challenge. I guess I haven't done 1 run that far yet, because I keep getting bored & starting over. So now I've started grinding along on an old 250+ day Interloper save to get it finally. *sigh* LOL

ha ha ha, that made me laugh!   Been there, done that!

and after I got to 500, I figured I'd go for the 1000.
but my run ended unexpectedly at day 852 when
I "stepped" of a ledge near Carto Hydro resulting in a fatal
fall...   

yeah good times!

• Upvote 3