I finally got mauled !

Leeanda

@Leeanda

I think so, though the interloper wolves seem more aggressive and dangerous. 

I'm on day 400-something of an interloper run on Coastal Highway in the Quonset hut.  There are only maybe four or five wolves close enough to the building to cause any problems.  Once you clear them out, it's clear sailing for a few days.

4 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

@Leeanda

I think so, though the interloper wolves seem more aggressive and dangerous. 

I'm on day 400-something of an interloper run on Coastal Highway in the Quonset hut.  There are only maybe four or five wolves close enough to the building to cause any problems.  Once you clear them out, it's clear sailing for a few days.

Sounds about right! 

Good luck and hope the bear isn't skulking around!

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

This is going to prove harder than I thought!  I spent half the morning (real time)  scouring PV for wolves and only saw one.near the bridge past the community hall.  No deer anywhere and hardly any rabbits.  It's going to be worse if the wolves and rabbits are in completely different areas!  So I will keep looking!  On a good note I found plenty of Old man's beard! 

On a side note, there were no corpses at the crash sight again! That's every run now since the episode 4 update! 

No carcasses either! . 

It's weird, I have in-game weeks where I have to really scour the countryside for deer etc, other times they are in abundance. Another reason I ensure I have tons of fish in storage just in case.

Shame about the corpses, it's not so bad if you've managed to search them first, but that's a lot of resources missed 😫

1 hour ago, Matt Lomax said:

It's weird, I have in-game weeks where I have to really scour the countryside for deer etc, other times they are in abundance. Another reason I ensure I have tons of fish in storage just in case.

Shame about the corpses, it's not so bad if you've managed to search them first, but that's a lot of resources missed 😫

I was kinda hoping they'd be there for the feathers, there's not many around for some reason😁  I picked up at least 15 birch saplings in ash alone and I wanted to get the arrows made but that's going to have to wait. I'm in Mystery now and have found a few but it's going to take a while.  

And I've actually seen a few deer and 3 carcasses which I made sure to harvest as soon as possible. Still no wolves anywhere between PV farm and trappers cabin!   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I was kinda hoping they'd be there for the feathers, there's not many around for some reason😁  I picked up at least 15 birch saplings in ash alone and I wanted to get the arrows made but that's going to have to wait. I'm in Mystery now and have found a few but it's going to take a while.  

And I've actually seen a few deer and 3 carcasses which I made sure to harvest as soon as possible. Still no wolves anywhere between PV farm and trappers cabin!   

Honestly, I'm having a tough time finding them too, guess it's the same for everyone at present. I've done a lot of traveling between regions lately surveying, so have managed to gather a decent haul through that. Otherwise, very tricky indeed. Even carcasses don't seem to be dropping many. Guess it's all the baldy crows about for some reason ... 🤔

Must be nice to stumble across a carcass or two, if you forgive the phraseology. Thought they were a thing of the past 😄

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Honestly, I'm having a tough time finding them too, guess it's the same for everyone at present. I've done a lot of traveling between regions lately surveying, so have managed to gather a decent haul through that. Otherwise, very tricky indeed. Even carcasses don't seem to be dropping many. Guess it's all the baldy crows about for some reason ... 🤔

Must be nice to stumble across a carcass or two, if you forgive the phraseology. Thought they were a thing of the past 😄

Personally I blame the one with the shaver 😀  

The proper pilgrim run had no carcasses at all so this one having a few was a nice surprise. Can't eat them though yet. But when I finally get to level 5 ,a small feast awaits. 

• Like 1

I'm finding it confusingly random at this point.

I'm playing a challenge (Archivist) and have seen plenty of feathers, but deer have been very scarce.

I did find 2 deer carcasses, 1 in Crumbling Highway (~20% and about 1 kg. meat & another in Desolation Point (41%, w/ 2 good 1 kg. "steaks"). DP is the 4th region I've been in, spending 3 or 4 days in each at the most.

Flirting with starvation every day, and I've had 2 bears pop up immediately on exiting a building. Got mauled by the one in CH, but managed to duck back inside the cannery in DP before he got me! My nerves!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

I'm playing a challenge (Archivist) and have seen plenty of feathers, but deer have been very scarce.

I did find 2 deer carcasses, 1 in Crumbling Highway (~20% and about 1 kg. meat & another in Desolation Point (41%, w/ 2 good 1 kg. "steaks"). DP is the 4th region I've been in, spending 3 or 4 days in each at the most.

Flirting with starvation every day, and I've had 2 bears pop up immediately on exiting a building. Got mauled by the one in CH, but managed to duck back inside the cannery in DP before he got me! My nerves!!

My sympathies. Hate those bears, that's why I took them off.  Glad I did considering  there's no fear on!

It all seems random really , more expected if you start a new run but if you're in the middle of a long one its very confusing to suddenly find things disappearing or respawning . 

But there's definitely less feathers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Personally I blame the one with the shaver 😀  

The proper pilgrim run had no carcasses at all so this one having a few was a nice surprise. Can't eat them though yet. But when I finally get to level 5 ,a small feast awaits. 

😂 So I got a little carried away ... Sheesh! 😜😄

Yeah must be nice, don't recall seeing one for yonks. Ooh sounds like you've a slap-up meal in waiting, bet you can't wait to tuck in 😻 You forget about cooking levels etc when you've been playing the same save for a year. I need to start a fresh one to feel that frantic despair again, I've gotten too comfortable I fear 💪

8 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

Yeah I think you're probably right about it being random, there isn't much consistency but ... It keeps you on your toes. Just difficult to be prepared when you're second guessing half the time 😫

Good to know carcasses are still out there if only for a short while. I think the game itself has evolved to try outsmart us 🤔

Good luck with the bears, by the way. Sounds like they want some human company 😬😱😄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

😂 So I got a little carried away ... Sheesh! 😜😄

Yeah must be nice, don't recall seeing one for yonks. Ooh sounds like you've a slap-up meal in waiting, bet you can't wait to tuck in 😻 You forget about cooking levels etc when you've been playing the same save for a year. I need to start a fresh one to feel that frantic despair again, I've gotten too comfortable I fear 💪

Yeah I think you're probably right about it being random, there isn't much consistency but ... It keeps you on your toes. Just difficult to be prepared when you're second guessing half the time 😫

Good to know carcasses are still out there if only for a short while. I think the game itself has evolved to try outsmart us 🤔

Good luck with the bears, by the way. Sounds like they want some human company 😬😱😄

There's definitely a lot of fun to be had starting a new run.  Especially if you tweak it a bit or play outside your comfort zone. . 

7 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

There's definitely a lot of fun to be had starting a new run.  Especially if you tweak it a bit or play outside your comfort zone. . 

For sure 👍 I did start one a few months back but soon went back to my main. Didn't really get anywhere. I'm fascinated to see what happens when cloth/ammo etc completely run out. I'm getting to that stage now and it's compelling, to say the least 😱😄

11 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

For sure 👍 I did start one a few months back but soon went back to my main. Didn't really get anywhere. I'm fascinated to see what happens when cloth/ammo etc completely run out. I'm getting to that stage now and it's compelling, to say the least 😱😄

Well with no cloth to repair what's left ,I'm guessing frostbite,then hypothermia then an interesting looking corpse being eaten by all those bald crows! Poetic justice😀  how long is your run? 

Have you seen Even darks run? He's on 5500+ days on loper. So its certainly possible to live for a very long time. 

My longest is only 750+ days until it stopped saving and I lost it. But I'm determined to get past 1000 on the pilgrim one.  This custom one I'd be lucky to get  to 100 days ,if I can find any wolves that is.

Edited by Leeanda

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well with no cloth to repair what's left ,I'm guessing frostbite,then hypothermia then an interesting looking corpse being eaten by all those bald crows! Poetic justice😀  how long is your run?

I can't imagine having trouble with cloth, even on Interloper, until at least day 1000.  There's a staggering amount of it available in curtains, furniture, and ruined low end clothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Have you seen Even darks run? He's on 5500+ days on loper. So its certainly possible to live for a very long time. 

My longest is only 750+ days until it stopped saving and I lost it. But I'm determined to get past 1000 on the pilgrim one.  This custom one I'd be lucky to get  to 100 days ,if I can find any wolves that is.

🤣 You're a meanie 😭😂 Hilarious image that though 🤕😄 I'm at almost 1300 days, thought I'd hit that mark but not far off now. Blackrock delayed the inevitable by providing a few additional resources, car batteries etc for ammo. I was using a bow until then. Feelsnice to have the rifle back in action.

That's a monster of a run, yikes 😱 I'm trying to hang in there for as long as possible. It's definitely gotten more interesting the last few hundred days. Paranoia over cloth usage etc has kicked in, been fishing to build a stockpile of oil. Loads going on, a fascinating experiment. Must be amazing at 5000+ days.

That's gutting about your save 😫 I'd have been devastated. That's a good, long run too which makes it more soul-destroying. Sounds like you have the skills to reach 1000 days, I wish you luck but I'm sure you'll manage. It's easy to forget to appreciate the achievement half the time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I can't imagine having trouble with cloth, even on Interloper, until at least day 1000.  There's a staggering amount of it available in curtains, furniture, and ruined low end clothing.

I'm around day 1300, have just over 500 pieces. Will last a while, to be honest I'm paranoid about using it. I'm scouting regions and plundering what I can, but it's becoming scarce other than the odd chair I'd missed.

12 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

I'm around day 1300, have just over 500 pieces. Will last a while, to be honest I'm paranoid about using it. I'm scouting regions and plundering what I can, but it's becoming scarce other than the odd chair I'd missed.

Yeah, that sounds about right.  Remember that you can find a fairly significant amount of it just beachcombing, and that seems inexhaustible.

I guess you could go with all animal skin clothes, and be quite a bit colder as a result.  Of course, you don't have to be outside very long once you have level 5 archery and cooking.  One bear goes quite a ways.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

🤣 You're a meanie 😭😂 Hilarious image that though 🤕😄 I'm at almost 1300 days, thought I'd hit that mark but not far off now. Blackrock delayed the inevitable by providing a few additional resources, car batteries etc for ammo. I was using a bow until then. Feelsnice to have the rifle back in action.

That's a monster of a run, yikes 😱 I'm trying to hang in there for as long as possible. It's definitely gotten more interesting the last few hundred days. Paranoia over cloth usage etc has kicked in, been fishing to build a stockpile of oil. Loads going on, a fascinating experiment. Must be amazing at 5000+ days.

That's gutting about your save 😫 I'd have been devastated. That's a good, long run too which makes it more soul-destroying. Sounds like you have the skills to reach 1000 days, I wish you luck but I'm sure you'll manage. It's easy to forget to appreciate the achievement half the time.

Thanks! Best compliment ive had in years! 😀That's quite an achievement , not surprised you're running out. How long did the ammo last for?  

Black rock was probably a godsend for most of the  players on long runs.   

You should check out some of his posts ,  I'm kinda curious which one of you has the most oil?  But honestly I admire his patience , if I ever get to 1000 days I'll throw Astrid off the cliff to celebrate!😀 so yes I was really gutted to loose that run.  This run is only about 25+ days I think but the other one is nearer 300 so fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Yeah, that sounds about right.  Remember that you can find a fairly significant amount of it just beachcombing, and that seems inexhaustible.

I guess you could go with all animal skin clothes, and be quite a bit colder as a result.  Of course, you don't have to be outside very long once you have level 5 archery and cooking.  One bear goes quite a ways.

I'll be honest, I tried beachcombing once at CH and fell in just as a blizzard hit. It made me reluctant to try again, but it's a good suggestion and may actually be worth the risk. I can only blame my own poor timing and lack of prep for that misadventure 🙄

I've cut down on clothes that require cloth to repair to extend my stash, but will definitely be considering other sources soon enough. It's an intriguing quandary really.

1 minute ago, Matt Lomax said:

I'll be honest, I tried beachcombing once at CH and fell in just as a blizzard hit. It made me reluctant to try again, but it's a good suggestion and may actually be worth the risk.

Yep, we've all gotten bit by that I'm sure.  The crampons actually increase the "cracking" time before you fall in, so you could try those if you haven't yet.

The crampons are weird in that they do things that crampons actually don't do.  They wouldn't help you climb a rope (as far as I know), nor would they keep you from falling through thin ice.

The one thing they should do (let you traverse steeper slopes), they don't do at all.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Thanks! Best compliment ive had in years! 😀That's quite an achievement , not surprised you're running out. How long did the ammo last for?  

Black rock was probably a godsend for most of the  players on long runs.   

You should check out some of his posts ,  I'm kinda curious which one of you has the most oil?  But honestly I admire his patience , if I ever get to 1000 days I'll throw Astrid off the cliff to celebrate!😀 so yes I was really gutted to loose that run.  This run is only about 25+ days I think but the other one is nearer 300 so fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

😄 I jest, of course ☺ Thanks. I originally ran out around the 1000th day, I'd been a bit wasteful in the beginning thinking I'd be long dead by now. A few car batteries, dusting sulfur and stump remover and I was away again. Felt really good. Ive about 140 rifle bullets or so now. No more sulfur though. I'll have to keep searching.

37kgs of oil, plenty more on the way 💪😄 No wonder you don't last if you throw yourself to your doom after a while 😫😂

Hope you have more luck this time, it's amazing how fast time goes when you're plundering. I totally dismantled everything in the dam. That passed about a month 😄

That's quite a while then. But without the gear to make more the rifle will only be good for scrap sooner or later. I hardly found any ammo at black rock , surprising really considering . unless the guards used ice bullets ☺ 

Nothing like having a fully loaded gun is there?

I only throw her off the cliff if I'm either in a bad mood,or if the run just doesn't feel right. If you know what I mean? 

Except early on when I first started playing ,I killed her in every way I could think of! Surprisingly limited on passive !😀

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Yep, we've all gotten bit by that I'm sure.  The crampons actually increase the "cracking" time before you fall in, so you could try those if you haven't yet.

The crampons are weird in that they do things that crampons actually don't do.  They wouldn't help you climb a rope (as far as I know), nor would they keep you from falling through thin ice.

The one thing they should do (let you traverse steeper slopes), they don't do at all.

I didn't have the crampons then, but have since acquired them. Thanks for reminding me about the cracking time actually. Tempted to try it out in this session 💪

Haha! Great point 😄 I'm glad they have those benefits despite being a tad illogical. I think they lessen the occurence of sprains on slopes which sounds about right, but I agree. Weird.

• Upvote 1