Why Methuselah is not in Episode 4 ?

luckymarki

1 hour ago, luckymarki said:

hi guys i was wondering why we cant see Methuselah in episode 4 is there a reason for it ? i was thinking it was will's alter ego, or a vision of him from the future since he never leaves the Great Bear

Methuselah.png

I like your idea of him being a vision of Will from the future, since he never leaves the Great Bear. Why not add some "supernatural" to the story line?

Or maybe its just Will slowly going insane and having hallucinations...

Guest jeffpeng

I think that the actual reason for that to be the case is that Wintermute is a lot of great ideas cobbled up together in quite the creative mess.

On 12/21/2021 at 6:10 AM, luckymarki said:

hi guys i was wondering why we cant see Methuselah in episode 4 is there a reason for it ? i was thinking it was will's alter ego, or a vision of him from the future since he never leaves the Great Bear

Methuselah.png

I had similar thoughts about him and ı guess we will see him ın episode 5 around Suzuki. Mackenzie will have a chat with him and after that Astrid will come and say ‘Who are you talking to, honey? No one ıs here’

I think it's obvious, Methuselah is an alien observer who was sent to the planet to study how human beings handle extreme crisis.  The "aliens" who are watching are doing this as a pre-first contact protocol to gauge our reaction to unknown phenomenon.  If you recall Jace mentioned that she and her "Advisor" were working out of a nearby observatory and had some arcane knowledge regarding the "event."    Although she never fully elaborated on what that knowledge was, she intimated that she knew what was responsible from their research at the observatory.   What better way to accidently discover the presence of an alien spacecraft entering our solar system than using a deep space observatory equiped with a massive telescopic and a slew of other electronic instruments.  Even with the subsequent power interruption, the telescope could still be used manually to observe the spacecraft.  

or, Jace is actually Methuselah and the alien's technology is so advanced that they can change their appearance using advanced shape shifting technology or a
holographic cloaking device.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

I think it's obvious, Methuselah is an alien observer who was sent to the planet to study how human beings handle extreme crisis.  The "aliens" who are watching are doing this as a pre-first contact protocol to gauge our reaction to unknown phenomenon.  If you recall Jace mentioned that she and her "Advisor" were working out of a nearby observatory and had some arcane knowledge regarding the "event."    Although she never fully elaborated on what that knowledge was, she intimated that she knew what was responsible from their research at the observatory.   What better way to accidently discover the presence of an alien spacecraft entering our solar system than using a deep space observatory equiped with a massive telescopic and a slew of other electronic instruments.  Even with the subsequent power interruption, the telescope could still be used manually to observe the spacecraft.  

or, Jace is actually Methuselah and the alien's technology is so advanced that they can change their appearance using advanced shape shifting technology or a
holographic cloaking device.

Spoilers, dude! 😉

36 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

lol, so what do you know?  tell us now!!!

I think I may have found the key to the entire plot...

From wikipedia: Omega is the logo of the Ultramarines in Warhammer 40,000.  

Who famously worked on Warhammer 40,000?: Space Marine?!

Now I am not a Warhammerer, so I don't know enough about that particular world or lore to say exactly how it will inevitably tie in with TLD, but based on that link it's clearly a safe bet to say things are going to take a bit of a twist in ep 5.  

38 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I think I may have found the key to the entire plot...

From wikipedia: Omega is the logo of the Ultramarines in Warhammer 40,000.  

Who famously worked on ?!

Now I am not a Warhammerer, so I don't know enough about that particular world or lore to say exactly how it will inevitably tie in with TLD, but based on that link it's clearly a safe bet to say things are going to take a bit of a twist in ep 5.  

I think you are onto something indeed.   Warhammer 40,000?: Space Marine, released in 2011 was Raph's baby.  
Not only was he the director but also the writer for that game.  Then 2014 Hinterland was born.  

Coincidence?  I think not!  ohhh, the suspense is now killing me!  The whole "event" is the prelude to an intergalactic invasion by menacing Space Orks!  
what a plot twist!  Will better start sharpening up his hatchet and Bear Spear cause this battle is gonna be epic!

• Like 1

Yeah I literally thought he was going to be in Episode 4. Episode 1 spoiler below. 

I saw him down the rope in the Milton to Mystery Lake area on Chapter 1 and was like "How on earth did he get down there if I had to place the rope. Even if a rope was there, he looks pretty old to be rope climbing."

After seeing him several times throughout episode 1 and 2, I came to the Carter Hydro Dam at the end of episode 2 for the final challenge. I saw a fire up ahead... I was like "No, it can't be." I got closer and I was like "please no" but there he was, stoking his fire with his old birch sapling. I was honestly very surprised when I saw he was not in Episode 4. I bet he'll be in #5 though at some point.

Edited by Pencil
Revised some things

6 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Fun fact: The voice actor for Mathis and Methusaleh was the same in Episode 2. So .... maybe.... nah, it can't be....

Mind blown. 

Now that I think about it, they sounded the exact same. 

My realistic theory: the person who voiced the original Mathis quit, and as a result, if Methuselah were to be in Episode 4, he would have a different voice. 

I would much rather not have Methuselah in the episode than have him with a different voice, unless somebody were to re-make all of his other voices in the previous episodes. 

• Upvote 1

Because the game has enough going on and it doesn't need Methuselah. It was a mistake to include a character like him, they can rarely be handled well because their supernatural nature makes them difficult to incorporate in a story.

Think about it like this: So far, the world of the Long Dark has:

1. A world-wide geomagnetic storm that has knocked out technology
  2. This storm has contributed towards the mass death of animals (such as we saw at the end of episode 3)
  3. A jet airplane has crashed on Bear Island with many fatalities
  4. Wildlife that hasn't died has been made extremely aggressive
  5. A prisoner jailbreak threatens to unleash one of Canada's most notorious killers
  6. There's some sort of plague infecting the people of Great Bear Island.
  7. The island's remote location means that no help is coming.

In ALL OF THAT, do we really think there's room for a supernatural being to be adequately accounted for? Any ONE of the above issues would be enough for a game, but  Great Bear Island is dealing with all of them at once. At this point I hope that Methuselah only gets a passing reference to write him out of the story. Maybe an optional side quest can address his nature, but the main story should stay away from him.

• 1 year later...

I don't think Methuselah it's actually a real character like grey mother or mathis.

I think it is an illusion or hallucination, for obvious reasons like his ability to ¿teleport? or being in several places without reasons at all. Methuselah judge the protagonist and their decisions, and makes will question about himself.

In fact, one of the most important aspects of the history it's the evolution of the characters in an apocalypse scenario. Will and Astrid attempt to keep their humanity and good will, Jeremiah don't care too much about anything, and Molly enjoys the new order.

Every character shows different evolution in the new world, but that's not the case with Methuselah, he is more of an observer or a judge. I think it's just part of Will imagination o.O

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2023 at 7:45 PM, Glacia said:

I don't think Methuselah it's actually a real character like grey mother or mathis.

I think it is an illusion or hallucination, for obvious reasons like his ability to ¿teleport? or being in several places without reasons at all. Methuselah judge the protagonist and their decisions, and makes will question about himself.

In fact, one of the most important aspects of the history it's the evolution of the characters in an apocalypse scenario. Will and Astrid attempt to keep their humanity and good will, Jeremiah don't care too much about anything, and Molly enjoys the new order.

Every character shows different evolution in the new world, but that's not the case with Methuselah, he is more of an observer or a judge. I think it's just part of Will imagination o.O

I agree