Snow depth

Kranium

This wouldn't happen in TLD, but I'd love it in a future iteration...

It bugs me how the player always seems to walk around like it's all pavement. Snow depth matters! Ever tried to walk in snow up to your knees? Damn.

This would be connected to alternate locomotion options, OFC, such as snowshoes, skis, and sleds. Not to mention fatigue/stamina.

Just some thoughts.

haha They call that "glacier"! Seriously though, if it's colder, it just stays powder. I do understand the way it is currently just simplifies things. Just posting something from my wishlist, as a rural BC resident who is used to dealing with winter snow depths up to my waist!

Oh I hear you there. I'd love it if the game could model real snowfall, with drifts and everything. It'd add a whole new level of challenge to the game. Waking up and needing to dig out from the Camp Office because a big snowdrift blew up against the front of the building overnight during the blizzard. Turn snowshoes into a real thing that would matter. Or Ice Age mode, say: the snow once fallen never goes away and as the game progresses all the structures and trees slowly get buried beneath the snow until you're wandering across a barren snowscape. That would be incredible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 10:36 PM, stratvox said:

the snow once fallen never goes away and as the game progresses all the structures and trees slowly get buried beneath the snow until you're wandering across a barren snowscape. That would be incredible. 

Yes, please

a real "escalating over time" challenge

Guest jeffpeng
On 11/30/2021 at 7:16 PM, stratvox said:

I'm pretty sure that this is a "this game mechanic will blow out our computational complexity so we can't do it" situation.

Just wanted to say "I guess you overestimate that and/or over-complicate the model", but then I remembered that this actually has to run on Jaguar .... so you might be right.

Other than that: yeah, great idea. That would add so much depth to the game. And kinda disincentive just bolting straight through the forest instead of taking actual roads.