Wolf skin coat - does it work??

Levelgrinder

Does wearing a wolf skin coat actually deter some wolves? I've been wearing one for a while now and I'm honestly yet to see any difference from a normal coat when it comes to wolf behaviour. Its warm and good for cold and wet weather, but is that it?

Or was it that the devs were just inferring it may deter some wolves (but not really).

Thanks for all the answers, I'm playing Stalker so maybe that's why they only get scared off very infrequently that I haven't noticed.

Today I actually had a wolf walk casually past me as I was heading to the office at ML, quite close, like it didn't even see me or was just ignoring me.

It walked around behind the office and when I got to the office side door it came around the corner and then attacked me! Very strange behaviour.

Wearing two bear coats in Interloper I feel like I scare off a wolf 50% of the time. I've never bothered with wolf coats but that's I think is because someone said bear skins scared them more. Not sure if it's true. Stalker seems all about wolves. I've never played it but i can't imagine another game mode having higher wolf aggression...

I honestly don’t even bother with the wolf coat in interloper. Total waste of time. Just go right for double bear. 
  I used to use bear/moose because of the added protection from moose exterior but it turns out the cold protection is far far more valuable and the bear coat has great protection anyway.  You are more likely to stay at higher health status from better cold protection with double bear which beats protection from moose coat while lower on health. Also on deadman there is no way around it - double bear is essential for maximizing deadman since you can’t take cold damage at all. 
  But in any case the wolf coat is an absolutely waste of time in interloper and above. 

10 hours ago, Stone said:

Wearing two bear coats in Interloper I feel like I scare off a wolf 50% of the time. I've never bothered with wolf coats but that's I think is because someone said bear skins scared them more. Not sure if it's true. Stalker seems all about wolves. I've never played it but i can't imagine another game mode having higher wolf aggression...

There are definitely more wolves on Stalker compared to lesser difficulty levels, and they seem to be more aggressive and you run into them more often. Where you used to expect one wolf to be in a particular area, on Stalker there are two or three. And they are more aggressive, and chase you for longer, and exhibit different behavior to lower levels.

But that's also half the fun of playing Stalker.

6 hours ago, Levelgrinder said:

I've seen from comments on this forum that there are no guns to find on Interloper. I haven't played Interloper much so no idea if this is true.

But if it is true, no rifles on Interloper, how do you kill bears to get a bear coat? Arrows??

Actually, arrows are more effective than bullets, believe it or not. Bears will bleed out a lot quicker with an arrow than a bullet. You can kill a bear fairly easily with two arrows if you get both hits on the face. 

• Like 1

@Levelgrinder as @Pencil says, the survival bow is very effective and many people level up the archery skill with practice on rabbits. With that at level 4/5 I find I 1 shot everything 50% of the time with a head/neck shot. It has a better critical chance at lvl 5 than the rifle I believe.

Edited by Stone
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 12:55 AM, Levelgrinder said:

I've seen from comments on this forum that there are no guns to find on Interloper. I haven't played Interloper much so no idea if this is true.

But if it is true, no rifles on Interloper, how do you kill bears to get a bear coat? Arrows??

The good/bad thing about interloper is that it is much more difficult than the other levels. You have to actually craft a bow and the arrows and that takes time. Then you slowly build your bow skill level. The only way to do that is to sling arrows. Every shot they decay and will eventually break. So you'll need MOAR arrows and that takes time. Why don't dead bodies decay and disappear? So crows will continually drop feathers for the arrows. :)

I could be wrong but I don''t believe I've ever found a bow on interloper. Possibly a cured birch or maple sapling and definitely a few arrow heads, but never the whole kit. You have to completely rethink the way you approach survival on interloper. The last episode released was the first time I'd used guns in a loooong long time.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:30 AM, stirfoo said:

I could be wrong but I don''t believe I've ever found a bow on interloper.

That's true, you won't find a bow in loper.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:30 AM, stirfoo said:

You have to actually craft a bow and the arrows and that takes time. Then you slowly build your bow skill level. The only way to do that is to sling arrows.

You can speed up archery leveling fast by crafting arrows and reading the designated skill books. Crafting one simple arrow will grant you as many skill points as one wildlife hit.