Birch saplings,where are they?

Leeanda

25 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I usually look in the birch grove in the ravine area, unnamed pond in Mystery Lake, and around Trapper's Cabin in Mystery Lake

I saw 3 at the gold mine climb, and 1 in mystery lake! There were none in the ravine area or near trappers!

12 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

My current one started like that and then headed eastward to try beachcombing for some. And suddenly Coastal Highway and Desolation Point were just rammed with birch, and not one Maple to be found.

Thanks! I haven't been to either of them yet, but I was about to head to CH anyway. Can only hope there's some there. 

I've got enough maple to supply robin hood and his merry men  for a lifetime!

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I've got enough maple to supply robin hood and his merry men  for a lifetime!

Or to craft a Bear Spear. Word on the street is it'll be in the next Survival release, and will require scrap metal and a maple sapling to craft!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Or to craft a Bear Spear. Word on the street is it'll be in the next Survival release, and will require scrap metal and a maple sapling to craft!

Never thought of that!  Better not craft all those bows just yet then!😁

It seems to be what most are expecting to get next month!  Whether we get it though is a different matter! 

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pencil said:

If you are desperate enough, Hushed River Valley always has saplings. If your passing through PV, I've seen several between the plane crash and Prepper's Abandoned Cache. 

Thanks but I've already scoured PV.  And I'm not desperate enough to go to HRV !lol. I hate that place!😁

• 4 weeks later...

I have made it a point in game to search out all birch saplings in the regions I have explored on Voyager (Day 1370).  Scouring ML, MT, CH, PV, FM, TWM and BR has given me with an inventory of 111 arrow shafts in addition to 45 intact arrows. I have a few spots yet to check in FM, CH, DP and HRV.  With luck I can assemble 140 arrow shafts or enough to get my Voyager character to Day 3000. The on-line maps are reasonably accurate about birch sapling locations; not all possible indicated locations will have saplings.  The number at actual sapling locations seems fairly random with 2 being the average per location.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 12:07 PM, Blizzard Walker said:

I have made it a point in game to search out all birch saplings in the regions I have explored on Voyager (Day 1370).  Scouring ML, MT, CH, PV, FM, TWM and BR has given me with an inventory of 111 arrow shafts in addition to 45 intact arrows. I have a few spots yet to check in FM, CH, DP and HRV.  With luck I can assemble 140 arrow shafts or enough to get my Voyager character to Day 3000. The on-line maps are reasonably accurate about birch sapling locations; not all possible indicated locations will have saplings.  The number at actual sapling locations seems fairly random with 2 being the average per location.

I have also done this just for the completionist in me.  Trust me, you can easily make it to day 3000 with the saplings available.  I really only use my bow now on Bears due to the increased bleedout.  I'm using the rifle for pretty much everything else at this point in my 2400+ day run.  I think I still have 100+ arrows too.

With the introduction of the ammo workbench, I bet you could go on for eternity.

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I have also done this just for the completionist in me.  Trust me, you can easily make it to day 3000 with the saplings available.  I really only use my bow now on Bears due to the increased bleedout.  I'm using the rifle for pretty much everything else at this point in my 2400+ day run.  I think I still have 100+ arrows too.

With the introduction of the ammo workbench, I bet you could go on for eternity.

hozz1235, a 2400+ run is amazing.

If a player braves the timber wolves to navigate to either ammunition work bench the only limiting factors become lead at cast bullets and sulfur/stump remover for making gunpowder.  So far I have not visited either ammunition work bench.  Car batteries are abundant throughout Great Bear Island.  I have not done the math but the  6 sulfur and 9 stump removers in my inventory should produce a substantial amount of gunpowder.  My guess is that you will run out of gunpowder before running out of lead for bullets.

Until I start using the ammunition work bench I am hunting exclusively with the bow to conserve revolver and rifle rounds.  Employing the best shoot from safety spots for bear hunting further limits bow shots for anyone aiming towards a very long (albeit less than exciting) run.

I have not harvested all the birch saplings in all regions but the 144 shafts in reserve plus 40 intact arrows should last 1300 more days assuming one arrow breaks per week. Since my character is presently set up in Coastal Highway, I am trying my hand at finding saplings by beachcombing.  So far I have found one maple sapling.