Some changes to the game just aren't worth it

piddy3825

If you haven't played the old maps from the time capsule,
you really should consider doing so as you'll gain a new found
appreciation of the evolution of the game.  

That being said, if you are not so inclined to spend the time playing the old maps
then you may want to just browse thru the thread "Share Your Screenshots" as you can
watch the evolution of the game one frame at a time from the player's perspective.

That's where I came across this little gem, buried in time, and realized that some 
changes to the game just aren't worth it.

Old School Book

oldschoolguns.jpg.f9dc77a422ef87e85f8395299268b093.jpg

vs. Updated Skill Book

Firearm_skill_book_icon2.png.fd17b2ac6bb687e7f1da75daa64c959b.png

All I can say is, don't fix what ain't broke

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

If you haven't played the old maps from the time capsule,
you really should consider doing so as you'll gain a new found
appreciation of the evolution of the game.  

That being said, if you are not so inclined to spend the time playing the old maps
then you may want to just browse thru the thread "Share Your Screenshots" as you can
watch the evolution of the game one frame at a time from the player's perspective.

That's where I came across this little gem, buried in time, and realized that some 
changes to the game just aren't worth it.

Old School Book

oldschoolguns.jpg.f9dc77a422ef87e85f8395299268b093.jpg

vs. Updated Skill Book

Firearm_skill_book_icon2.png.fd17b2ac6bb687e7f1da75daa64c959b.png

All I can say is, don't fix what ain't broke

Couldn't agree more!  So much more personality in the old ones! Why did they change them in the first place?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Beware if you time capsule - each time you do, the game has to essentially re-download the game files for that version.

true that, but well worth the time and effort.  
what else you gonna do while you wait for the next update?

• Upvote 3

Probably, in the current cultural time, the depiction of a SMLE on the cover of a fictitious magazine/book was considered too provocative.  After all, because it shows a firearm, a fictional Will could be driven to seek out potential victims on Great Bear Island to commit mass murder.  😲

I suppose that the initial layout may have been thought to be kind of close to how a real magazine might do a cover layout and be subject to copyright or trademark infringement claims.  Seems very unlikely but who knows what lurks in the dark mind of lawyers and their clients.  😅

Anyway, somebody got paid for the new graphic.  Who am I to deny them the opportunity to earn some of their salary?

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

I suppose that the initial layout may have been thought to be kind of close to how a real magazine might do a cover layout and be subject to copyright or trademark infringement claims.  Seems very unlikely but who knows what lurks in the dark mind of lawyers and their clients.  😅

Indeed it does look like it could be a real magazine.  I remember subscribing to a publication called "Field & Stream" and their covers looked very similar to the old style skill book.  I suppose you have a good point that some suit with a law degree was one of the reasons for adopting the lame style of covers we see on skill books now.

On the other hand, was this cover a veiled way for Hinterland to reveal what their in game rifle was modeled after?  

• Upvote 3

I think this was one of the changes to fit the style of the game better but I can't find the patch notes where they did this. But I understand the change, after all, there's nothing photo realistic in TLD and the old book design - although I personally favor it too - looked too real.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

I think this was one of the changes to fit the style of the game better but I can't find the patch notes where they did this. But I understand the change, after all, there's nothing photo realistic in TLD and the old book design - although I personally favor it too - looked too real.

ding ding ding, I think you just hit the nail on the head!  I didn't think about that aspect at all, but it does make a lot of sense considering that everything else in the game is literally a hand painted representation of real world goods and materials.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Doesn't mean I like the new style any better though

• Upvote 4