Better slope indicator

Ghurcb

The meaning of the existing one is not so easy to guess. When I first saw it I thought that was an error. As if a sprite got lost.

I know it's supposed to represent a slope. But that's just a triangle! A lot of new players won't understand what it means until someone tells them or they sprain a dozen of ankles. Not to mention that it looks kinda ugly... The Hinterland Studio artists are awesome. They know how to do their job and they do it with passion. But it feels like they spent no time at all designing this one.

I think, it should look like a mountain. That would get the point across way more quickly. 

slope_indicator_new.png

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking about making a mod that would do this, but what's the point? No one installs mods when they play for the first time (unless it's skyrim), so the only people who would use it are the long-time players. And they already know what the slope indicator looks like, so...

Nobody's going to use it.

That's a small, insignificant thing, sure. But it's the small things that make up a game.

7 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

There is no need - you are either on a risky slope or not. Makes no difference the indicator. 

Actually, it does. It might take a lot of time for a new player to figure out what this indicator means. Good UI conveys information immediately. 

This change would be helpful, but the sad thruth is that the old players wouldn't care about it and the new players wouldn't know. 

6 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

Just sneak the change into a bigger made.

But only (relatively) experienced players use mods, so this change would only confuse them. That's why I think, it should be done by Hinterland. And honestly, with all the requests to add boars, mountain lions and shotguns, this idea is actually small enough to actually be considered.

PS: Do they even check the wish list now? It's been a while since I last saw their replies. 

11 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

PS: Do they even check the wish list now? It's been a while since I last saw their replies. 

I would assume that they do. They don't really respond to players but I'd assume they'd still read through it. They read through most of the forums, due to the occasional reply, so I'd think they'd read through everyone's suggestions once in a while. Of course I don't know, so I could be wrong.

Also, in regards to your new slope design, I personally think the current one is fine as it is. Though I completely get where you're coming from. However with your design, how would new players understand that a mountain symbol means a steep slope where you could sprain your ankle? I can't speak for everyone but imo the current one, showing an actual slope, gets the point across fine. 

I just feel that a mountain might be a little confusing, though as I said, I can't speak for everyone so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

I mean no offence and I hope you don't mind me stating my opinion. If I was too blunt when doing so, which I know I can be sometimes, then I'm sorry

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think the mountain icon would be every bit as unclear as the slope indicator.  I wish there was a way to turn it off completely.  As a player, I can see whether I'm on a slope or not.  They could insert a loading screen tip that says sprains are possible on ANY slope, especially when encumbered.  I know I've gotten a few even just climbing the little incline to get into Gray Mother's house.  When they first introduced sprains, I even got one walking over a snow drift on the road in Coastal Highway.  It certainly doesn't necessarily involve any sort of mountain.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

But only (relatively) experienced players use mods, so this change would only confuse them. That's why I think, it should be done by Hinterland. And honestly, with all the requests to add boars, mountain lions and shotguns, this idea is actually small enough to actually be considered.

Sorry I thought this was in the modding section.

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Personally, I think the mountain icon would be every bit as unclear as the slope indicator.  I wish there was a way to turn it off completely.  As a player, I can see whether I'm on a slope or not.  They could insert a loading screen tip that says sprains are possible on ANY slope, especially when encumbered.  I know I've gotten a few even just climbing the little incline to get into Gray Mother's house.  When they first introduced sprains, I even got one walking over a snow drift on the road in Coastal Highway.  It certainly doesn't necessarily involve any sort of mountain.

Well... Not every steep surface in TLD is a literal mountain, sure. But that's like an association thing, you know? A person walks uphill, sees the mountain icon, and thinks "Oh, I'm probably walking on a steep surface, like the ones mountains are made of. Maybe the game is warning me about something?"

The icon we have right now doesn't look like anything, really. It's just a triangle with blurred edges. Anything remotely related to steep surfaces would be better then this.

42 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

Well... Not every steep surface in TLD is a literal mountain, sure. But that's like an association thing, you know? A person walks uphill, sees the mountain icon, and thinks "Oh, I'm probably walking on a steep surface, like the ones mountains are made of. Maybe the game is warning me about something?"

The icon we have right now doesn't look like anything, really. It's just a triangle with blurred edges. Anything remotely related to steep surfaces would be better then this.

I'd still prefer nothing at all to the distraction of the icon appearing and disappearing on the screen.  However, it would suggest a more standard icon road sign for "slope" - e.g. a yellow triange (i.e. caution symbol) with a black area showing the slope and the percentage of the slope shown in numbers inside the triangle.  (I don't have an image to post, but you can google something like standard slope indicators to get an idea.)

Edited by UpUpAway95

On 12/15/2021 at 12:12 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

I'd still prefer nothing at all to the distraction of the icon appearing and disappearing on the screen.  However, it would suggest a more standard icon road sign for "slope" - e.g. a yellow triange (i.e. caution symbol) with a black area showing the slope and the percentage of the slope shown in numbers inside the triangle.  (I don't have an image to post, but you can google something like standard slope indicators to get an idea.)

Yes, making this icon optional would probably be a good call. I also agree with the road sign idea. It would definitely be better then whatever we have now (even though my design is obviously totally the best one ever)