Dried meat

Josef67

Every so often, someone new comes along and suggests dried meat as a thing for the game to implement, to give meat in game better long-term longevity.

Problem is, the amount of work that goes into properly drying meat far exceeds its utility within the context of The Long Dark. It takes hours under a carefully managed heat source, assuming you ARE using a heat source. If you're not using a heat source, then it takes curing salt, and weeks indoors.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GothSkunk said:

Every so often, someone new comes along and suggests dried meat as a thing for the game to implement, to give meat in game better long-term longevity.

Problem is, the amount of work that goes into properly drying meat far exceeds its utility within the context of The Long Dark. It takes hours under a carefully managed heat source, assuming you ARE using a heat source. If you're not using a heat source, then it takes curing salt, and weeks indoors.

Yes, on TLD I like that the production is "realistic", no "magical".

But I think that by hanging meat over the fireplace, it would be possible to dry this meat by repeatedly using the fireplace. And salt can be obtained by boiling water from the ocean (I know the complicated process of purification).

Looked up curing salt (i.e. pink salt) and it would be composed of a very large % of sodium chloride and a much smaller % of sodium nitrite (which can be poisonous in high enough concentrations).  Chloride dries the meat, which stops most bacteria and fungus, and Nitrite inhibits growth of some bacteria like the botulinus bacilli. 

In any case, what will matter would be HOW the devs decide to IMPLEMENT any food preservation mechanic. Dried or smoked meat/fish would be possible.  Salting likewise.  Even production of something like pemmican.  About the only thing ruled out, so far, would be freezing given that already exists in the game in a way, albeit not the way most people would have expected give real life considerations. 

On 5/22/2021 at 4:05 PM, GothSkunk said:

I'm not 100% certain on this -- more like 90% -- but sea salt is not curing salt.

Sea salt is Sodium Chloride, whereas curing salt is Sodium Nitrate NITRITE.

To be fair you certainly CAN use sodium chloride to cure meat. You would just want to make sure to get the non-iodized kind because the iodide in regular table salt can make the meat taste a bit off.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 11:20 PM, DPHG said:

I know this doesn't do the trick, but if you have cooking 5, you can pretend any cooked meat is dried meat, because you can eat it even when it's ruined.

Will msut have met the Sole Suvvivor from Fallout 4 and gained the ability Iron Stomach

• 4 weeks later...