PATH DOWN FROM WOLF'S JAW OVERLOOK?

Looking recently at the map of Ash Canyon in the Wiki (which was recently posted by someone in another thread here discussing the route from Shattered Cove to Pillar's Footrest, I noticed a path shown that seems to go down the mountain from Wolf's Jaw Overlook.  Out of curiosity, I decided to go there and am currently camped at the overlook.  For the life of me, I cannot see any slope that I'd be willing to blindly toss my character over.  Does this path actually exist?  If so, is there a video of someone using it that I can look at in order to bolster my nerve.  Thanks.

Possibly... was this terrain changed at all in the last update which mentions the polaroid location now being accessible?

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Seems like it would be a long goat down if there was.  Not sure if this helps:

image.png.88592480e4c26c494a7a6c6dbd2dbc61.png

Yeah, I'm thinking the Wiki map is somewhat misleading by showing a "one-way path" coming off the dead-end area of the overlook.  Looking over the edge, it looks like a very near vertical slope with no real ledges even evident.  I'm not feeling it, but the map even seems to show a possible deer carcass on the way down.

ETA:  I should also add that the less detailed map of the two on the Wiki doesn't show this path.

Edited by UpUpAway95

6 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

The one-way, brown arrow path appears to be a risky goating shortcut.  Not sure why you would take the risk when you can easily take the normal path and end up at the same spot.

Style points?

I am not that familiar with Ash canyon, havent really played TLD all that much since it was added. Although Im probably gonna start playing it more again soon.

The issue with community made maps is a common one. There are times where you find a route that on the map shows as an untraversable , whereas some of the paths they show dont actually exist, or they would end up being a very risky goat path.

The brown arrow shows a dead body spawning there - maybe thats why? To suggest an angle of approach to loot the body?

To point to one issue when the Whiteberry toarta style maps are and have been misleading I can point to Coastal highway map. The route from Rabbit grove to the Ravine entrance shows a path that doesnt really with with the elevation. If one wants to traverse it, they have to start walking from directly behind the rabbits grove hut and hug a bit the left side of a mountain. If one strays too close towards the river, they wont be able to walk back up high enough to reach the railtrack above, and have to back track. But the maps show that its fairly easy to climb from the river to that path. Ive tried it many times and never figured out a point of entry to be able to scale it that high. Always had to go from the hut.

OK guys, now I'm confused... the arrows I'm referring to on the map are clearly blue not brown (and, no, I'm not colorblind).  I wish I could figure out how to link a portion of the Wiki map I'm referencing to this thread.

I agree the Wiki maps can be confusing... and I think this error (if it is one) could cause a new player to just walk off the end of Wolf's Jaw Overlook and fall.

Scouting around, I did find what I think is the new location for the polaroid... in a blue container overlooking the cliff above the climbing vines.  The path I'm seeing on the map suggests that if coming from the Gold Mine direction, once you go down the vines and turn right (so that the Wolf's Jaw Overlook location pops) and then just keep walking, you'll hit a one-way path down to the valley floor.  However, the drop I'm seeing when I get to the edge of the Overlook area (over a little snow hill) seems to be rather steep and rather long (i.e. can't see where it bottoms out).

Edited by UpUpAway95

48 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

To point to one issue when the Whiteberry toarta style maps are and have been misleading I can point to Coastal highway map. The route from Rabbit grove to the Ravine entrance shows a path that doesnt really with with the elevation. If one wants to traverse it, they have to start walking from directly behind the rabbits grove hut and hug a bit the left side of a mountain. If one strays too close towards the river, they wont be able to walk back up high enough to reach the railtrack above, and have to back track. But the maps show that its fairly easy to climb from the river to that path. Ive tried it many times and never figured out a point of entry to be able to scale it that high. Always had to go from the hut.

You can indeed go back to the rail tracks from the river - the slope is just to your left when you reach the dead end of the river. It looks abit steep but definitely traversable as I've always been using that route when I leave CH for the Ravine.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gotmilkanot said:

You can indeed go back to the rail tracks from the river - the slope is just to your left when you reach the dead end of the river. It looks abit steep but definitely traversable as I've always been using that route when I leave CH for the Ravine.

Interesting. Might go and see. It would make sense. 

What I am fairly certain on is that one cant get up from the river at the bend on the map how the maps shows it. But if one can get up just a bit backwards, I woudlnt hold it against the map, it doesnt need to be THAT precise. 

Thanks for letting me know! I learned something new today.

No worries, Whiteberry's maps may not be 100% accurate but I think they're pretty reliable for those that want to use them.

Anyway, I went to check the spot that OP mentioned since my Interloper survivor just happens to be in Ash Canyon.

From the looks of it, it's a pretty steep drop (as in TWM-level) but it does seem goatable with some caution. Didn't try it though, since I didn't really want to risk my run on it.

Edited by gotmilkanot

35 minutes ago, gotmilkanot said:

No worries, Whiteberry's maps may not be 100% accurate but I think they're pretty reliable for those that want to use them.

Anyway, I went to check the spot that OP mentioned since my Interloper survivor just happens to be in Ash Canyon.

From the looks of it, it's a pretty steep drop (as in TWM-level) but it does seem goatable with some caution. Didn't try it though, since I didn't really want to risk my run on it.

Thanks for checking.  That's the same position I"m in... I don't want to risk this character just yet trying it out.

Well... I decided to take the leap of faith.  I survived, but just barely.  I'd hardly call it a path.  It looked promising at the start, but then there was a rather long freefall drop that I don't think I could have avoided.  It will, however, take a few more attempts to decide whether I actually followed the route shown on the map.  I bottomed out in the canyon that runs from the Angler's Den to the Stone Shelf cave, but never saw anything like a plateau (where the map shows the deer carcass).  I wish the maker of the map had done a video of it.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I tried it out. Not too bad; I've certainly done worse, that said I don't think you're very likely to traverse it without sprains... though to be fair I didn't go for getting the crampons before doing that particular run; maybe with the crampons it could be done.

Don't think it was really designed as a path, but yep... it's doable. If you do a lot of goating, you come around to the idea that sprains are a fact of life. This is not particularly bad, even if some of those sheer drops make certain passages seem pretty fraught.

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

I tried it out. Not too bad; I've certainly done worse, that said I don't think you're very likely to traverse it without sprains... though to be fair I didn't go for getting the crampons before doing that particular run; maybe with the crampons it could be done.

Don't think it was really designed as a path, but yep... it's doable. If you do a lot of goating, you come around to the idea that sprains are a fact of life. This is not particularly bad, even if some of those sheer drops make certain passages seem pretty fraught.

I think I may have gotten of course a bit then.  I'll certainly keep trying it though to see if I can't shorten some of the shear drops I took.

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

I found it necessary to go straight across that cliff quite a ways before going down. However, if you pick the right spot to do it, it'll turn into a very steep snow-covered slope pretty quick.

Thanks.  I'll check it out again.  Does the snow covered slope go all the way to the bottom (like the path near Miner's Folly).  If it does, then I definitely was not on the path at all.

No, after that I found myself on that greyish-purple rock outcrop looking down at the stone shelf cave. I went down around the right to get down from there, ended up just in the mouth of the canyon that goes to the ropes up to the back of the mine.

The original topic springs from this map:

image.png.cf9f14c11959e3fe3d7ab2df44f9b7d3.png

I've pulled out a bit so you can get a bit more idea of the exact location. You basically cling to the cliff across until you get above the light purple rock outcrop, then you can scramble down to it via a steep snow slope. I didn't find a deer up there, though; just a whole lotta sprain opportunities. I'm sure if I were to do it again I'd improve on that; I think that finding a good path down is totally doable with a minimum of real damage.

That part between the first and second drop... there are some serious drops there. You're really clinging to steep walls, but you can get right across there to that outcropping.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:11 AM, hozz1235 said:

The one-way, brown arrow path appears to be a risky goating shortcut.  Not sure why you would take the risk when you can easily take the normal path and end up at the same spot.

The only reason I can think of is if you can't use a rope, since you do need to navigate a rope to get down using any of the normal paths (including the cave).  However, the shortcut path down from Miner's Folly is much, much easier to navigate, so it would still be an unwise choice (IMO)... better to cross the bridges to get to Miner's Folly and head down that way.