Could we enable mods for the long dark?

oplli

Ok...I've just started playing TLD and currently on day 33 with about 100 hrs so far. Here are my thoughts:

The graphics are gorgeous. I'm running an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.62GhZ with 32GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 RAM and an NIVIDA GTX 1650 OC with 4GB RAM and running this game on Ultra settings and it's beautifully optimized. 

Now about the gameplay:

TLD is by far the most realistic survival game I've played. I have 8k hours in DayZ and play that game with Mods. I have almost 3k in Fallout 4 and play that game with mods. I have Raft with almost 700 hours with mods. I have ARK with mods. I've played Winter Survival: Prologue. 

TLD blows these games out of the water within the survival genre. The mechanics...brilliant, although allowing the movement and camera view to be separate would make it better. Using the mouse movement without changing the character direction would kick this game into overdrive.

The survival aspect: This is how survival games should be. You REALLY have to survive. Hunt, gather, use the environment around you. You don't have the equipment like DayZ does and that's fantastic. I love that I have to hunt for food. I love that I have to survive a brutal winter. I love that I have only a few tools at my disposal to survive with. Not having tons of weapons to use makes it more challenging. Only thing I would say in this area is the ability to craft storage like shelves and such or ability to carry the storage you find in the regions as well as craft more gear like bigger backpacks and such. 

Now about game mods: Mods will kill this game's gameplay. It's a winter apocalypse. Its not meant to be easy. There will be no electricity, no running water. Tools will be used more often so they will degrade faster. That's the whole point this game is trying to portray. And adding mods will kill that portrayal. Adding mods for more weapons, or lighting or other things like that will IMO degrade the purpose of what the game is trying to bring. I haven't done the story modes yet, but TBH...I don't need to at this point. I'm loving the sandbox playthrough I'm at. Trying to survive is a big challenge and I have to make choices that will affect my character down the road. I don't want mods that will ruin the fun out of doing just that. 

So IMO, adding mods will ruin the game. Leave it as it is. Yes update it with more survival content like it has already but adding the ability to allow mods will not make this game any better, but worse. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Warhawk said:

So IMO, adding mods will ruin the game. Leave it as it is. Yes update it with more survival content like it has already but adding the ability to allow mods will not make this game any better, but worse. 

Thank you for your opinion.  You know what's great about mods?  They're optional.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Warhawk said:

...nah, there are some mods that just make this game 100% better that don't change any of the games difficulties or detract from the survival mechanics of the game play.  I would have quit playing this game a long time ago if it hadn't been for mods like "Place Anywhere," which vastly improved the archaic items handling mechanic allowing the player to place items where they wish instead of just dropping items in a pile on the ground.  

But the nice part of this game, is that you can play it how you want to play it.  So if playing with no mods is your cup of tea, then cool.  Play it the way you wanna play it.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:00 PM, Warhawk said:

Now about game mods: Mods will kill this game's gameplay. It's a winter apocalypse. Its not meant to be easy. There will be no electricity, no running water. Tools will be used more often so they will degrade faster. That's the whole point this game is trying to portray. And adding mods will kill that portrayal.

Or mods could make the game more of a challenge! Cold indoor f.i. could really add to interloper balance. Deep blizzards to -100 C another example. Alternative wildlife behavior og positions would be a fun challenge (long wolf patrols, running bears). Sanity meter (need for books to read and comfort in a home). Tear of clothes when you sleep in them. Removal of cave heating for interloper. 😁