Question for Bear Hunters

The Ravages of Time

I’ve noticed that when hunting a bear with a rifle, at times it will charge and I need to duck for cover to avoid being mauled, at other times, when he is shot it runs. I’ve noticed that behaviour when you are out of it’s reach (dropped onto a ledge or on fallen tree), but today at Crystal Lake I shot one out in the open, thinking I would need to hide in the fishing hut, but he ran. I’m playing on Stalker.

Is it an RNG roll that determines if it charges or flees? If so, any idea what the ratio would be (for those who may have lots of bear hunting experience)? Is it an option to use the rifle to deter a bear attack? (Previously I always thought that shooting a bear would just get him angry if the shot didn’t kill it). Or is it likely that it ran because of other factors, such as being outside of it’s detection range?

Not that I plan to risk it when hunting bears in the future, but my experience today got me wondering if this was a one off or an actual thing. 

Thanks for any insights you may have!

Edited by The Ravages of Time
To clarify

7 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

It depends on if he sees you or not. If you are far enough away or shoot from a position out of site (or unreachable to the bear) he runs. same for moose. 

That's actually a pretty safe way to kill him: Shot him from behind. A critical hit is unlikely but he will run off and bleed out.

• Upvote 1

If a bear growles at you like "get out of my way," he will see you, and he will run towards you, even if you go away and shoot. So walk around for two laps and when you come back, place a bullet in the middle of the bear's head without seeing you, and if the bear is small, it will die on the floor. But if the bear is a little fed, he's either going to run away or he's seen you and he's going to run towards you. If there's enough distance between you, you can shoot him once or twice, which is the same as his head. If a bear growles at you like "get out of my way," he will see you, and he will run towards you, even if you go away and shoot. So walk around for two laps and when you come back, place a bullet in the middle of the bear's head without seeing you, and if the bear is small, it will die on the floor. But if the bear is a little fed, he's either going to run away or he's seen you and he's going to run towards you. If there's enough distance between you, you can shoot him once or twice, which is the same as his head.If a bear growles at you like "get out of my way," he will see you, and he will run towards you, even if you go away and shoot. So walk around for two laps and when you come back, place a bullet in the middle of the bear's head without seeing you, and if the bear is small, it will die on the floor. But if the bear is a little fed, he's either going to run away or he's seen you and he's going to run towards you. If there's enough distance between you, you can shoot once or twice, which, if it hit his head, the bear couldn't reach you.If a bear growles at you like "get out of my way," he will see you, and he will run towards you, even if you go away and shoot. So walk around for two laps and when you come back, place a bullet in the middle of the bear's head without seeing you, and if the bear is small, it will die on the floor. But if the bear is a little fed, he's either going to run away or he's seen you and he's going to run towards you. If there's enough distance between you, you can shoot once or twice, which, if it hit his head, the bear couldn't reach you.If a bear growles at you like "get out of my way," he will see you, and he will run towards you, even if you go away and shoot. So walk around for two laps and when you come back, place a bullet in the middle of the bear's head without seeing you, and if the bear is small, it will die on the floor. But if the bear is a little fed, he's either going to run away or he's seen you and he's going to run towards you. If there's enough distance between you, I'll shoot you once or twice, edebilirsiniz.ki if it hit him on the head, the bear couldn't reach you.If a bear growles at you like "get out of my way," he will see you, and he will run towards you, even if you go away and shoot. So walk around for two laps and when you come back, place a bullet in the middle of the bear's head without seeing you, and if the bear is small, it will die on the floor. But if the bear is a little fed, he's either going to run away or he's seen you and he's going to run towards you. If there's enough distance between you, you can shoot once or twice. 

If it comes to the bear's head in these shots, the bear will die before it can reach you. You might have to be cool for a good shot. 

Sometimes - when I was in very bad shape - I couldn't do it and I'd get a beating from the bear. But as soon as you stand up saying it beats me, I stop the bleeding and wait for it to come back, and when it turns to me, I'll put a bullet in your head once more. And he'll regret infecting me. 

I just had a privilege of hunting a bear in coastal highway on the shore. Terrifying ordeal really! I shot him one time and ran away just in time into the house on the hill. Barely made it too! 

Then I came out and didn't notice any bleeding, so I followed him when he was heading towards his den. With far enough distance I decided fk it and fired a shot. He turned around and started charging. I frantically started shooting. He was closing as a train, ready to run me down into hell. Few feet away, I shot my final shot saying my prayer and he finally dropped dead. I think it was third or fourth shot.

What a horrifying experience, not sure I ever want to do it again ever. But now I am faced with the dilemma. It is 80 pounds of meat that can either poison you or infect you.

What do you do with it?🥩🍗🍖🤔

On 2/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, Stinky socks said:

What do you do with it?🥩🍗🍖🤔

Congrats on your hunt!:)
Next time you may try luring it towards a fishing hut, and shooting it from there. one shot might be enough (if you hit it), as if it charges, you can step into the fishing hut where it cannot reach you. Just wait until it collapses, you can fish/read in the meantime. At least that is the tactic I usually follow. (The trick also works with cars or hunting blinds in other locations)

About the meat: I usually collect it and keep it near a base. if very low on food, might make sense to cook and eat a piece and risk infection (I think the first slice only gives 1% chance, which resets after 24 hours or so, if you eat more within the 24 hours, the chance increases). if I have enough food, i just keep it there until I have level 5 cooking. from that point it no longer gives you parasites or stomach ache (even if rots to 0%), so can safely eat it.
If you want to cook it all at once, you can light multiple fires next to each other, so it won't take too long. (take a torch from the first one and light the rest with it)

Edited by AdamvR
  • Like 1

Thank you! I am actually using the two fires trick at mountaineers hut to cook faster. :)

Re: the bear, I will try that because my bear bedroll is taking some mileage with my current trip. Unfortunately, no doors at TWM fishing hut and no cars. Maybe I travel to coastal highway for a safer bear kill and stay there for vacation until pelt cures.

4 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Unfortunately, no doors at TWM fishing hut

It does not need to have a door, the bear (or wolf) cannot enter. Weird, but that’s it. You can use the fishing hut in twm.
Or can also climb a tree, if it is a more open area

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Thank you! I am actually using the two fires trick at mountaineers hut to cook faster. :)

Re: the bear, I will try that because my bear bedroll is taking some mileage with my current trip. Unfortunately, no doors at TWM fishing hut and no cars. Maybe I travel to coastal highway for a safer bear kill and stay there for vacation until pelt cures.

The Pleasant Valley farmstead has a fairly safe bear shooting location. 

There is a bear that will walk right by the main house. You can wait on the enclosed porch on the backside of the house. When it walks by you have a great shot. Just open the door and shoot. You can lure it closer with a rock as well for a dead center head shot. If it charges just close the door. 

• Like 2

Hmm, that does sound closer and I have a base there. I will swing by there instead of going back to CH. Thank you!

Actually I remember now, yes, there does walk a bear. I remember seeing it in the distance, but was still too rookie to take on bears.

Edit: @AdamvR I thought they patched that animal behavior and now they are able to enter if door isn't closed(or absent) ? Maybe I'll test it, because I was fishing there into the evening and heard bear gallop by.

Edited by Stinky socks