Static Candles For Survival

StabTheJuiceBox

I think candles would be a good idea.  It is unnecessarily irritating trying to find my way around an unlit cabin that is in complete darkness.

They do not need to have a complicated role in the game such as having to collect tallow then making candles.  I would be content with just finding a candle or two in very dark places, cabins and in caves/mines where there is a work bench.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, peteloud said:

They do not need to have a complicated role in the game such as having to collect tallow then making candles.  I would be content with just finding a candle or two in very dark places, cabins and in caves/mines where there is a work bench.

So that candles do not become too functionally similar to flares or storm lanterns they could be in fixed static positions and not be picked up and carried around.  It could be that some activities are enabled near lit candles e.g. reading, but that there is not enough light for other activities

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 4

Isn’t this what a storm lantern does? If you need light in each room  Light lots of torches and drop them in each room. Even then... why? There is absolutely no need.  
  The beautiful, brilliant design of this game is there is minimal unnecessary duplication of items. Candles are duplicative to what is already available plus they are completely unnecessary.  Even novice players prepare to utilize caves to do tasks like reading and mending at night, especially as a basic strategy  to manage cabin fever. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

I light my kerosene lantern, not a candle. Amazingly like the game. 
   I can see where a beginner might want this but once you become even novice level, the duplication of a candle becomes very apparent. 
  One of the brilliant designs of this game is the minimal redundancy in mechanics. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, Schrodingers Box said:

I light my kerosene lantern, not a candle. Amazingly like the game. 
   I can see where a beginner might want this but once you become even novice level, the duplication of a candle becomes very apparent. 
  One of the brilliant designs of this game is the minimal redundancy in mechanics. 

I see this argument as a response to a lot of ppls wishlist ideas. Yes the minimalism and simplicity is beautiful but it also being mundane repetition and boredom. 

All survival items are made up of either craftables, loot, or harvest and both crafting and looting are fun aspects to this open world survival game. That said I think adding additional crafting recipes and loot items gives more depth and interaction to the game. Candles make sense in this kind of setting for numerous obvious reasons. A candles use is priceless in this game world and would help in expanding the players experience. If someone does not want to use whatever item all they have to do it leave it where it was found or not make it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I see this argument as a response to a lot of ppls wishlist ideas. Yes the minimalism and simplicity is beautiful but it also being mundane repetition and boredom. 

All survival items are made up of either craftables, loot, or harvest and both crafting and looting are fun aspects to this open world survival game. That said I think adding additional crafting recipes and loot items gives more depth and interaction to the game. Candles make sense in this kind of setting for numerous obvious reasons. A candles use is priceless in this game world and would help in expanding the players experience. If someone does not want to use whatever item all they have to do it leave it where it was found or not make it. 

“Priceless” indicates that there is no replacement. Yet there are- storm lantern.  torch. fireplace/stove......

Redundancy is the opposite of pricelessness.  candles are a redundancy therefore they are not priceless. Quite the opposite actually.

2 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

“Priceless” indicates that there is no replacement. Yet there are- storm lantern.  torch. fireplace/stove......

Redundancy is the opposite of pricelessness.  candles are a redundancy therefore they are not priceless. Quite the opposite actually.

Not trying to have an argumentative back and forth, we all know doing so on the internet is like pissing in the wind. If you really wanna get nit picky about my word choice/semantics, then yes priceless was not the correct word choice. 

Aside from that error of hyperboles dictation, your point about redundancy can be used for torches and the storm lantern in many respects or the axe and saw. There are numerous tools in the game that have overlapping uses, regardless I don’t see ppl complaining about the need to reduce the diversity of each tool use. 

But rather since this is a wish list section, I think it appropriate to suggest wishes of additional crafting recipes and lootable items.  Particularly when those items would be of use and would realistically be in this kind of real world setting. 

• Upvote 1

We already have those flares (i collect them all around and never use a single one), that are a little redundant as a torch but with a windproof bonus, so why not a candle/lantern redundant?

Make them not craftable, single-use spawnable (uncommon or rare perhaps). U r free to use it or not.

I like the idea.

• Upvote 1

I think they're supposed to be common rather, in every home. It's very dark everywhere and since windows dont allow enough light, candles should be the light of the house.

I'm sure due to economic collapse of the island, candles make more sense than flares and storm lanterns!

Edit: but yeah, definitely need to be static, and long lasting or indefinite!

Edited by Stinky socks

Candles are everywhere IRL. And they last a very long time! Even those little tealights last ages. I live where this game takes place, almost exactly (very rural BC, just not on the coast) and everyone out here has a stockpile of candles. And beer.

I'd love to have candles for reading/crafting at night. Beats using fuel or flares (I keep those for wolves).

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Schrodingers Box said:

Redundant and makes the game way too easy. If you need to read and craft at night that’s what a fire is for. To be able to just be productive all the time without have to plan for resources defeats the purpose of the game. 

@Schrodingers Box Now i'm curious about your opinion about flares ^^

Edited by Old Hermit

I only ever use flares for 2 purposes ever. 
  the first is to start my first fire should I spawn in FM.  the second is to stave off wolves in early game during wind (I only use torches otherwise) until I craft my bow. After that I simply never use them. Nor the marine flares either. Once I have a bow and lantern, flares are absolutely useless dead weight.  But I definitely rely on them in early game.  I typically use maybe 3 or 4 at the most though. 

21 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

So, it is a redundant item (a windproof torch) do u agree?

Then what is the problem on including a non-craftable and single-use light source for indoors use? Because it would be redundant? I reslly didn't get the point.

No how is that redundant?  That makes no logical sense whatsoever. 
  how can you start a fire with a lantern?  and how can I protect against wolves while I get to the lantern in the first place with a useless torch in the wind and no weapons? 

It becomes redundant AFTER I am supplied, thus the reason I don’t use them later as I already stated. 
   Maybe you aren’t aware you can’t start a fire with a lantern? But even if we could use the lantern for fire starting , it’s still not redundant with a flare because I have to get to one first and the odds are that several flares will come first, and the flares aren’t renewable so it’s still not redundant. Also you can’t stave off wolves with a lantern.

I don’t follow your logic sorry. 

2 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

No how is that redundant?  That makes no logical sense whatsoever. 
  how can you start a fire with a lantern?  and how can I protect against wolves while I get to the lantern in the first place with a useless torch in the wind and no weapons? 

It becomes redundant AFTER I am supplied, thus the reason I don’t use them later as I already stated. 
   Maybe you aren’t aware you can’t start a fire with a lantern? But even if we could use the lantern for fire starting , it’s still not redundant with a flare because I have to get to one first and the odds are that several flares will come first, and the flares aren’t renewable so it’s still not redundant. Also you can’t stave off wolves with a lantern.

I don’t follow your logic sorry. 

dude, only you are talking about lanterns. read it all again.

Just now, Old Hermit said:

dude, only you are talking about lanterns. read it all again.

I did. And I still don’t see your point. Sorry bruh. I reread it twice but it still sounds like you are saying lanterns and flares are redundant,  when they obviously are not. so I really don’t get your point.  Maybe just tell me your point. 

Ok, so I'm wondering when did bear island residents get so many flares? It doesn't seem a general item one has in their closet?

I'm wondering if flares at first were meant by hinterland to be used to scare away wolves, but then other means became available and flares stayed as a redundant item? I'd be happy to switch them for candles any day! I d9nt like most about them that once started, you can't stop and restart later..

13 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

there is no point of mine. i was only curious about your opinion about flares, in comparison do including candles in game.

Well if there was no point I don’t see how my answer could be insufficient. 
  Regardless - my point is if you want to read or do tasks - just light a fire. There are lots of locations with fires by crafting tables in fact- both indoors and out.  Outdoors is even better because you address cabin fever as well. If not crafting just sit by the stove or fireplace to read or whatever. 
   Embrace the genius of the efficiency in the design.  It’s there. It’s always been there.