Top 10 Tips for Surviving The Long Dark (edited video)

Zaknafein

great video! There are one or two things in it that even i didn't know and i play since autumn 2015 :D I learned that you can distract wolves with stones some months ago, but to use it to bring a deer to a wolve was a new idea to me. I also didn't know that a wolve will be scared off of a carcass when aiming at him, usually they attack you right away. And the trick with the journal is funny :D

two things:

You can one shot any animal with any weapon, not just a flare gun. And the Moose indeed do bleeds out. There is a clip somewhere on YT showing that, unfortunately i don't have a link for you.

And maybe you already know it, but a snow shelter is an op hunting base. When you are charged by a bear or something else you can just go into the shelter and be in safe. But i'm not sure if it's true for all difficulties.

//oh you are from Norway? That's some extra points in sympathy :)

Edited by Karl Grylls

1 hour ago, Karl Grylls said:

great video! There are one or two things in it that even i didn't know and i play since autumn 2015 :D I learned that you can distract wolves with stones some months ago, but to use it to bring a deer to a wolve was a new idea to me. I also didn't know that a wolve will be scared off of a carcass when aiming at him, usually they attack you right away. And the trick with the journal is funny :D

I've had a couple of wolves attack me the moment I aimed a weapon at them in a Custom game when I had Passive Animals turned On (i.e. the same setting as in Pilgrim difficulty).  In both cases, this was with wolves eating off of a deer kill and both instances were after this Hesitatant Prospect update.  So, I'm unconvinced that they will always scare when aimed at in the other modes.  It seems likely that the player's distance from the wolf plays a role.

On 1/22/2021 at 12:50 PM, Karl Grylls said:

You can one shot any animal with any weapon, not just a flare gun. And the Moose indeed do bleeds out. There is a clip somewhere on YT showing that, unfortunately i don't have a link for you.

//oh you are from Norway? That's some extra points in sympathy :)

Haha yes, I am from Norway. Glad you liked the video :)

All the full-time interloper streamers I know all say the Moose does not bleed out, even after days of testing. So if the moose bleeds, I imagine its either a bug or possibly a recent update hidden in a patch. But even it is true, I imagine portions of this video will be obsolete over time, especially after Raph tweeted about it said it was a reminder that they need to fix a few things :P

On 1/22/2021 at 2:49 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

I've had a couple of wolves attack me the moment I aimed a weapon at them in a Custom game when I had Passive Animals turned On (i.e. the same setting as in Pilgrim difficulty).  In both cases, this was with wolves eating off of a deer kill and both instances were after this Hesitatant Prospect update.  So, I'm unconvinced that they will always scare when aimed at in the other modes.  It seems likely that the player's distance from the wolf plays a role.

Interesting - wolf behaviour is patched all the time, without being mentioned in patch notes, so this could have been done recently. So far both me and some interloper friends have had 100% success rate with this, but even if your case was a bug (and I am not saying it was) then I wouldn't be too surprised if this is changed in a future patch.

I have for a long time planned to make a wolf video, but it is difficult but their behaviour often changes across patches (remember when dropping decoys stopped the wolf from stalking you?)

50 minutes ago, Zaknafein said:

Haha yes, I am from Norway. Glad you liked the video :)

All the full-time interloper streamers I know all say the Moose does not bleed out, even after days of testing. So if the moose bleeds, I imagine its either a bug or possibly a recent update hidden in a patch. But even it is true, I imagine portions of this video will be obsolete over time, especially after Raph tweeted about it said it was a reminder that they need to fix a few things :P

I found the video: see here

From the beginning til ~0:35. It's from 2019 so maybe it's patched the way that the moose indeed bleed out meanwhile - or it's a bug and they fixed it.

Jeg glede meg til den neste video and you got my subscribe on YT :) 

P.S.: i just had to look how to write wolf in english lol.

P.P.S.: Please correct my norsk if wrong. I learned it couple of years ago and just til A2. Thank you :)

1 hour ago, Zaknafein said:

Interesting - wolf behaviour is patched all the time, without being mentioned in patch notes, so this could have been done recently. So far both me and some interloper friends have had 100% success rate with this, but even if your case was a bug (and I am not saying it was) then I wouldn't be too surprised if this is changed in a future patch.

I have for a long time planned to make a wolf video, but it is difficult but their behaviour often changes across patches (remember when dropping decoys stopped the wolf from stalking you?)

You missed the part where I said I had passive animals turned on when these attacks occurred.  That means the wolves should not ever stalk the character, period.  The description of Pilgrim mode (which is the standard difficulty that uses passive animals turned on) indicates that all animals should only attack if provoked by the player.  What I assumed happened was that the drawing of a weapon was seen by the wolf as a provocation for an attack.

I feel this was because the 2 wolves were distracted while they were eating and I was able to get rather closer to them without being detected than is normally possible.  Normal behavior with passive animals turned on is that they run away whimpering as soon as they detect the player.  I think the proximity to the wolf when the weapon is aimed plays a role.  I'm not convinced it is a bug nor do I think it should be patched.  

When passive animals is turned off, there is a separate setting for wolf fear (that changes between voyageur, stalker, and interloper difficulties).  There are also separate settings for detection distance as well as a variable setting for the amount one's smelliness increases when carrying meat, guts, etc.   These variables may affect how the wolves respond to an aimed weapon as well.  Someone would have to actually view the programming code and determine how the variables in these setting are applied overall and to actually determine whether the variances are due to continually patching the code or whether they are just situational - sensitive to differences in wind, temperature, smell, surrounding noises, and the distance between the wolf and character at the point in time the character is detected by the wolf.  At the very least, testing should be done outside of Interloper before something is declared a bug.

Edited by UpUpAway95

On 1/23/2021 at 10:25 PM, Karl Grylls said:

I found the video: see here

From the beginning til ~0:35. It's from 2019 so maybe it's patched the way that the moose indeed bleed out meanwhile - or it's a bug and they fixed it.

Jeg glede meg til den neste video and you got my subscribe on YT :) 

P.S.: i just had to look how to write wolf in english lol.

P.P.S.: Please correct my norsk if wrong. I learned it couple of years ago and just til A2. Thank you :)

Haha your norsk is great! And thank you for the sub and the link.

I watched it and I think it was probably a bug, as it is the only instance I have seen. Hinterlands do not tend to mention animal changes in their patch notes, presumably to encourage exploration, learning and mystery - so I wouldn't be surprised if this was either a one-off bug or an issue that later got patched. I will look into it, though :) Thanks!

On 1/22/2021 at 6:49 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

I've had a couple of wolves attack me the moment I aimed a weapon at them

I also notice this behavior - in fact, I use that mechanic in my wolf-hunting technique.

I did notice he aimed with a stone vs. a weapon - maybe that is the difference?

On 1/22/2021 at 4:50 AM, Karl Grylls said:

great video! There are one or two things in it that even i didn't know and i play since autumn 2015

Same!  Namely, the one-shot head kill with the flare gun.  I'm going to try it out!  Finally have a use for all those shells sitting around.

23 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I also notice this behavior - in fact, I use that mechanic in my wolf-hunting technique.

I did notice he aimed with a stone vs. a weapon - maybe that is the difference?

I put a disclaimer in the video now, as a few people seem to have misunderstood this.

To be clear: aiming at a wolf WILL cause it to attack you. It doesn't matter what you aim with, it will trigger a charge (sometimes it flees, but rarely - this is RNG).

However, aiming at a wolf eating a prey will always cause it to flee, once it growls. Aiming at the wolf is not a universal mechanic - it's important to understand the context of when it is used.