Coastal Highway and Desolation Point: Do you consider them one region?

Glflegolas

Hello folks,

In my "Coastal Highway Stalker Survival" YouTube series, I considered Desolation Point to be a sub-region of Desolation Point, and didn't bother to make a separate season of Stalker Survival for Desolation Point, which was a region I'd never explored on camera before. 

Now, you may ask, what is my rationale for considering Desolation Point (along with Crumbling Highway) a sub-region of Coastal Highway? First-off, the most obvious; both of them are located along the Coastal Highway and are on the coast, side-by-side. Both of them show a similar history of mining and fishing, and both have plentiful shelter. There's a whole bunch of stalled cars along the road in both regions, and the weather isn't that different between both the regions; both have fairly mild weather. The wolf density is high in both regions, and there's good rabbit trapping opportunities on the offshore islands. One of the few differences geographically between the regions is that the mountains rise a little more steeply from the sea in Desolation Point than they do on Coastal highway, but... other than that, the general appearance of both regions is fairly similar.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Desolation Point is such a small region compared to Coastal Highway but you are correct in their similar weather / terrain except the lack of fishing huts on Desolation Point. There is quite a difference when you think of further down the coast and the cold windy Bleak Inlet. 

• Upvote 1

Even though Desolation Point is a small region (similar in size to Broken Railroad), I consider it to be a separate region in that the highway collapsed and the Desolation Point inhabitants (workers and the processing plant and the lighthouse keeper) were cut off from the main community at Coastal Highway.  The processing plant workers obviously did not commute, but rather slept at the processing plant.  They also had their own church.  I also consider Crumbling Highway to be its own region; a rural one that consisted basically of a family homestead.  Those inhabitants probsably did, at one time, drive into the Coastal Highway community for their supplies.  It is unclear where the miners stayed (DP or Coastal Highway), but I'm guessing that they commuted from CH.  For gameplay purposes (e.g. where the challenge might be to stay so many days in each zone) I lump Crumbling Highway in the Desolation Point simply because DP has fewer resources than Coastal Highway.

Edited by UpUpAway95

aside from the fact that you have loading screens and a cavern connection system, I guess if you wanna call DP and Crumbleville  sub-regions due to their being adjacent to 
Coastal Highway I suppose its all in the semantics.  They may have been considered part of the same "region" prior to the earthquakes and landslides since it would appear that the paved road running along the coastline did indeed connect the areas, or else why would they have called the blockage "commuter's lament?"

However, since the quakes and landslides have effectively blocked the area creating new natural boundaries, I'd have to agree with @UpUpAway95, that if I were to lump one or more areas together, I would call Crumbling Highway a sub-region to both CH and DP, partly due to the immediate proximity of both maps and its relative small size. 
on a side note,  I'd bet that those few homes in Crumbleville, were probably the actual residences of the year round management team that ran the fish processing plant in DP considering that fishing/whaling and processing are typically seasonal activities and not conducted year round.

I don’t see what the significance is but they are indeed separate regions because they have separate maps. as opposed to say caves connecting regions where the cave is part of one region or the other. if you want to consider it a transitional region that may be reasonable but it still really doesn’t matter. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box