Too easy to ignore needs/limits?

upnorth

I've been watching a lot of TLD on Youtube after finishing Wintermute lately. And people regularly run around with hypothermia risk and with very overloaded packs seemingly without any problems at all. It's starting to feel a bit cartoonish that you can do that in a game like this. If you overload your backpack, your speed should be severely limited. Hypothermia risk should mean penalties on both movement and focus. Not sure what happens IRL, but I would imagine very stiff hands that fail to grab stuff and starting to get delirious? Not eating and drinking should start draining your energy levels pretty quickly, etc.

Anyone else who thinks that gameplay should be more realistic, or at least in Interloper?

You do get slower when you are overburdened. And I think fatigue drains faster. Maybe the effects could be more severe, but it's noticeable.

I don't mind the hypothermia risk as condition drains pretty fast when you're cold. On Interloper it's not something you want to keep up for too long. On lower difficulties the lack of consequences comes more from the full condition recovery when sleeping.

I fully agree with the point about food though. Long term starvation should be an issue. There have been some proposals about introducing some kind of long term calories store to simulate fat reserves.

Edited by Serenity

I guess I get fooled by the feats that some streamers get as well, getting permanent boosts to be able to almost always run and stuff like that. I get that they are catering to certain type of popular gaming tropes here. Awarding various achievements etc. It does feel pretty realistic when I play myself, but that's mostly because I get worried from not knowing the various limits of things. Which experienced gamers can abuse constantly without worrying too much.

The youtubers you are probably watching are doing a lot to manage their resources that you probably would never easily pick up on while watching.  They do usually instinctively manage their warmth, fatigue, thirst and hunger to fit their gameplay style.   They've learned where they can push and where doing so would be a critical error. 

When you are overburdened, the amount you are slowed depends on a number of factors 1) How much weight you are over your limit.  2) That limit lessens the more fatigued you are.  3) The risk of a sprain increases if you are overburdened and varies also by the sort of terrain you are walking on.  You cannot start to climb a rope when overburdened and if your either your energy or stamina deplete while you are still climbing, you will start to slide down and may fall from the rope... resulting in injury or death depending on the distance you fell.  If you are not overencumbered when you start your climb, you run the risk of becoming overencumbered as you climb since your carry capacity will fall the more fatigued you become.

Hypothermia risk is just the warning, but hypothermia does result in increased fatigue and loss of health.  Shivering makes aiming a lot more difficult.  You cannot fire a rifle with a sprained wrist and you cannot run with a sprained ankle.  You cannot climb a rope with either.  You cannot read while sick, tired, hungry, thirsty,  or injured... or if it's too dark.

Youtubers will usually make decision about whether or not they can afford to lose a little health here and there due to cold or thirst or hunger in order to get to specific points on the map where they know they can find shelter or food or essential tools or if it is a routing that will enable them to avoid places where predators are frequently encountered.  All of this comes through their memorization of the various maps of which the game world is comprised.

The feats do make the characters stronger, but many of them can do just as well when they start characters without using any of their feats... they are just that good at playing the game... which is no indication about how well anyone might survive in the same circumstances IRL.  It is a game after all.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I suppose if your main issue @upnorth is that hypothermia risk isn't severe enough, I'd say firstly: it's a risk, not hypothermia itself. Secondly, and more generally, the 'proper' mechanics are arguably on display in Interloper. Yes, you can move pretty well encumbered but it has its impacts which work pretty well with the games other mechanics. I don't ever feel I'm carrying an unrealistic amount of weight. More an unrealistic volume. I mean 80 sticks... How am I carrying that without a back pack?

I don't concern myself with hypothermia much. I's a constant in the game on interloper. I just keep an eye on the meter. Exhaustion is the one I loathe. It does actually affect your load. Once you get a lot of crafted clothing on (bear, wolf, deer, rabbit) you aren't going to be running a whole lot. I don't think it was ever the intent of the devs to make TLD realistic. You just play it long enough  to intuitively know how far you can push the dials (and still die eventually!). Haha.