Climbing Out of the Ravine...

issabeepboop

My survivor almost fell to their death today:) Made the trip down the ravine safe and sound, explored and harvested, and took a quick nap. My energy level was just over half full and I thought for sure I could get to the ledge located halfway up the cliff side before running out of steam. Nope. The ledge in near sight my survivor became exhausted. And I mean COMPLETELY exhausted. Panicking I tried to shimmy down the rope slowly, but then my survivor lost their grip and fell.

But luckily my survivors instincts kicked in and they managed to grab the rope about 5 feet before they would've hit the bottom of the ravine. I struggled against the wind to get back to the nearby cave as my exhaustion level dropped deeper into the danger zone. Thankfully I managed to make it to the cave safely. Slept 12 hours then attempted the climb again. This time I made it to the ledge, and then the top safely, but this was a learning experience.

N E V E R overestimate your survivors ability to climb. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

After a couple of near death incidents in Ash Canyon when I over-estimated my ability to climb a rope I am now more careful.  Previously I usually made it as long as my 'sleep' level was greater than half.  In AC I found that wasn't good enough.

Now I always try and have it ¾ full before a climb.  When I felt it was required I would have a sleep at the bottom of the climb then a cup of coffee. On the long climbs I try and leave a cup of coffee at the bottom of the climb in case of arriving there needing a boost. On some AC climbs I even leave a coffee on ledges.

Edited by peteloud
  • Like 1

Crampons seem to help with these long rope climbs.  There’s a really long one in AC I climbed twice: first with coffee and no crampons and second without coffee and crampons.  The result was pretty much the same.  So crampons give you about the same stamina boost as coffee?  I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1